Advice on fitting in exercise: Time!

Options
I work between 8-9 hours a day. So, my day starts at 8 and ends at 5. In the morning, I usually leave myself just enough time to get ready for work and head out without working out. I'm more of an evening person so I'd rather work out in the evenings than in the morning. The issue I have is I'd like to walk my dog in the evening. I'd like to add more cardio and strength training on top of walking because I don't feel it's enough of a burn. I'm worried that coming home at 5pm, giving my dog a half hour walk, then starting my work out is cutting to late in the evening and I won't have time for anything else to do. Any thoughts as to how I should organize my time to fit in both walking my dog and cardio? I'd like to give my dog a half hour walk and then do 45-60 minutes of cardio and then some ab and strength training.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I work between 8-9 hours a day. So, my day starts at 8 and ends at 5. In the morning, I usually leave myself just enough time to get ready for work and head out without working out. I'm more of an evening person so I'd rather work out in the evenings than in the morning. The issue I have is I'd like to walk my dog in the evening. I'd like to add more cardio and strength training on top of walking because I don't feel it's enough of a burn. I'm worried that coming home at 5pm, giving my dog a half hour walk, then starting my work out is cutting to late in the evening and I won't have time for anything else to do. Any thoughts as to how I should organize my time to fit in both walking my dog and cardio? I'd like to give my dog a half hour walk and then do 45-60 minutes of cardio and then some ab and strength training.

First of all, you need to set priorities. It may very well be that some nights you won't have time for anything else. It may mean you need to get someone to walk the dog a couple of days. It may mean you can't do 45-60 min of cardio. It may mean that you put in heavier workouts on weekends and take a couple of days off during the week.

If you are in decent shape you might be able to do some circuit type workouts during the week that will take care of your entire workout in 45-60 min--or even less. I think this might end up being your best option.

It may be that you have to accept a slower rate of weight loss or be more conscientious about diet changes.

There might be more possibilities than you think.

If you are looking for some classes, we have some at our center that are open to nonmembers--kickboxing, TRX, stuff like like. I work in Barrington, so send me a message if you are interested and I can send you more info.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If you really want to get fit, you'll find a way to make it work. Most days during the week I don't do anything but get home from work, do an hour + workout, shower, eat dinner, and go to bed. I make time on the weekends to see friends and family and do fun things, but M-F my day is pretty set in a routine of work and work out. I made my health a priority.
  • hoyagirl03
    hoyagirl03 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I agree that you have to set priorities. I usually work from 8-6 or sometimes 8-7 and get home by 7/7:30. But I set the priorities of doing my Turbofire exercises. It does cut into the evening, for sure, but plan your dinners ahead of time and just plan your week ahead of time so you have time to do these things. I don't mean to compare our schedules or anything but I will confess that I wish I had more time to just relax at home, but I honestly want to get my workouts in.

Suggest slowly working in strength training--- just add some triceps and biceps exercises every other day. And definitely take advantage of the weekends. Also, try waking up a good 30-45 minutes earlier than usual (so tough, I know) and see how you like that. Might make you more energized for the rest of the day! :-)

Good luck!
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    PRIORITISE! figure where you have time in your day?
    Im not a morning person either, but its the only time of the day when I can usually get a good cardio workout done.
    I work full time 40-45 hrs a week Leave my house by 7;30 am dont get home till almost 6pm. Im a mom & have to take care of my 4 year old son & see him off to preschool. When I get home from work, Ive got horses to take care of ( I compete with them) & evenings I ride & do barn chores & split cooking duties with my hubby, but that usually means late at night I have prepped tomorrows dinner. Its a pretty "NORMAL" day for me to get up between 4:30-4:45am & not hit the bed till 10:30 -11pm....
    example its 10:20pm here, after I get off line I need to put clothes in dryer & then I will go to bed. Im on the go all the time....
    I Kinda catch up on sleep on the weekends, where I get 7-8 hours of sleep.Now if I sleep more than that I feel like crap.
    Im not bragging on myself, Im just pointing out that I know I need to work out more & this was the only time available to me. So I had to suck & get used to getting up early...Im still not in love with it, I got used to it & started to get results.
    YOU CAN DO IT TOO! Good luck on your journey :happy: you will find the time for what you really desire.
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am the kind of person who leaves even less time than I need to get ready when I get up in the morning. I'm that lazy. Having said that, over the past two months I have gotten out of bed hours before anyone in the house to exercise. I can't make it clear enough how much this goes against my long-term habit. I LOVE sleeping in. I LOVE reading in bed in the morning, or dozing. I LOVE drinking a cup of coffee and looking out the window.

However, I discovered that if I don't work out before lunch, I probably won't work out at all that day. So I started putting out all my running clothes and everything out the night before, and for the past two months, every other day, I've gotten up early and gone running. And while I don't love running, I LOVE how I feel when I'm done, and I LOVE what it's doing for my health.

Change is hard, but sometimes that's what it takes.
  • ShannonTodd
    ShannonTodd Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I work an 8 to 4:30 job in a city 45 minutes away from home. In order to drop the kids off at daycare and get to work on time, I have to leave the house about 6:30 in the morning. I hit the floor running when I get at home at night with cooking dinner and taking care of the kids.
    In order to get in a good 30 to 45 minute workout in, I get up about 4:15/4:30 (on work days) and put in one of my TaeBo DVDs. Getting up that early truly stinks sometimes! Especially when the rest of the house is snug in their beds!! :yawn:
    It stinks, but that's time I've designated as "Me Time," and it's the only time I have for just me. Helps set my body into forward motion, and put me into drive for the rest of the day.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You have to make a decision to commit and make the time. If you can't do it in the evening you do it in the morning, if you can't do it in the morning you do it in the evening and walk your dog. You have very few variables in your life right now (like a 2 year old, or a 2, 4, & 6 year old). You make your schedule, decide you want to make it work and then make it work. Right now, it just sounds like excuses "what do you mean I can't have my cake and eat it too, BUT I WANT TO HAVE MY DAMN CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!!"
  • Debi907
    Debi907 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Make your health & exercise a priority and it WILL happen. I have a full work schedule too. Last night I was home by 8:30PM, so a 13 hour day for me. I went for a quick 25 min jog because that's all I felt I could muster. But that is better than doing nothing. Fit in your exercise time when you can. Keep your expectations realistic and understand that sometimes, something is gonna have to give. I must add, I am impressed that you're considering your dog's health too. Can your dog jog with you? Wouldn't that be the perfect solution! ^..^
  • allybub
    Options
    how about in your lunch breaks here in the uk some of us are lucky enough to get an hour lunch break. In one job we had a swimming pool near by and i used to swim in my luch break was a bit of a rush but you can do quite a few lengths in half an hour then eat your sandwich at your desk. Also brisk walking round the bloke all adds to the calorie burn, they advise geting of the bus tube etc a few stops before work / home to get extra excersize.

Know where you are coming from as i have busy 9 - 3 job 6 year old daughter and 3 horses, at the moment horses are not stabled and i have time to squeeze in a gym sess or two but once they come in and gym times change to eves only dont think i will get to go any more, trying to work out how to juggle stuff about.
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    A lot of the replies so far sort of emphasize pushing real hard to make exercise a priority, making sacrifices, deciding to tough it up.

I'm all for people finding what works for them. I know a lot of people (mostly people who *already* exercise a lot) find this kind of approach useful. For me, not so much. I like to sleep in. I like food. I like comfort. And even if I'm not the busiest person in the world, the thought of forcing anything else into my day makes me want to groan.

Not surprisingly, I've been pretty sedentary and "robust of stature" for the past 30 years. But when I decided to start dieting and exercising last month (first time ever !) I realized that for me, the tough-it-up, "no pain, no gain" approach wasn't going to work. What I needed was sensible adjustments to my lifestyle that were sustainable in the long term. Not forcing myself to go to a gym. Not depriving myself of my favorite foods. And so far, its working.

From what you said, I would look at the dog-walking situation a little more. That can certainly be made more aerobic. Unless your dog is very small or getting on in years, it would probably love to cover some distance with you.

I started out just walking at a comfortable strolling pace. But now I've upped it to a pretty brisk clip. I walk a mile (each way) to work and back every day, and eat my breakfast (an apple) on the way. On days that I want more, I do a three-mile loop during my lunch break at 5-6 MPH, which is about as fast as I can go with a walking motion. Definitely works up a sweat. Sometimes I go out late at night instead of watching TV.

Maybe you could park a mile or so away from work ?

I found out there's a "running club" in town sponsored by a local pub. Sign in, run (or walk !) 5k, finish with happy hour prices on good beer. And a ton of folks bring the dogs and kids with them. I don't know how widespread this sort of thing is, but its worth looking; you could try meetup.com, for example.

Another thing you might look into is strength/fitness training at home. I've picked up a few dumbbells and a fitness ball, and I'm starting to get into a routine with them. It doesn't cost a lot, take up a lot of space, or demand a lot of time. For me, its much less unpleasant than going to a gym, and its easier for me to get started if its "right there".

Anyway, if by nature you aren't a hard-driving, "make it happen" kind of person, I'd say a good start is looking for ways to slip smaller, less monumental forms of exercise into your life. Things you enjoy and can easily get motivated for. Seemingly small amounts of exercise are definitely worthwhile, and anything that becomes part of your lifestyle is better than an impressive but unsustainable struggle.

Oh, and since I've started my humble little exercise regime, I'm finding that waking up in the morning isn't so bad after all.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you'd be willing to get up at 5:30, get to the gym at 5:45 or 6:00, work out for 60 minutes, shower there and go home? and then walk the dog at night, and go to bed around ten?