Boxing Workout

Options
I have searched online for a good boxing workout, but almost everything I have seen has been for actual boxers. Definitely not for beginners.

Do any of you have a boxing workout (bag, jumprope, push-ups) that works for you and that won't kill me in a matter of seconds?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ItsMeLori
    Options
    I would like to know this too. I've been wanting one.
  • mhig011975
    Options
    P90X has a good routine, it's Kenpo X
  • sarahrosemun
    Options
    I do mine on exerbeat on the wii, its awesome!
  • ennaejay
    Options
    You could always try good old Billy Blanks.

Back in the day, I had an old boxing DVD that was a woman - I think her last name was Steele - super oldschool leotard, but effective workout. Tons of hooks, jabs, crosses and combinations. I'll pm you if I remember her name...

I say get good with your form and making your punches hard and fast first, before you get a heavy bag. I used to wrap my hands and knuckles and wear gloves, but being a novice & not trained professionally I jammed my wrists pretty bad sometimes. Get some advice from somebody who knows what they're doing before you add contact. :flowerforyou:

Air boxing ---- go for it. You can probably find some vids on youtube or even netflix.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    it does kill you in a matter of seconds. boxing is just like that.

i have been doing boxing classes since february, and still if i take my gloves to the gym and start bashing on the bags for 2 minutes, i'm dying after it.

i think the key is to change, so you punch for 30 seconds, then do crunches for 30 seconds, and then star jumps for 30 seconds, and then punch again for 30 seconds, then burpees, then push ups etc. every 3 minutes have a 30 second rest or something.

thats what we do in our boxing classes, so you never really do one move for more than one minute.

my boxing instructor has his stop watch and every 30 seconds you change.

boxing is a hard workout, it's the hardest thing i do at the gym, and i feel like i'm going to have a heart attack every time, even after 7 or 8 months of practice, having lost 17kg and gaining a tonne of fitness, it is still killer, and only gets harder every week.
  • IamEric
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I've been doing Wii boxing and after I knock my opponent down - or if they knock me down - I jump rope (without the rope) during the count. It's a good little workout, but I was just looking for a little more.

I have no doubt that any boxing workout is going to kick my butt. I just like to mix things up a bit so I'm not doing the same old cardio every day.

Thanks again.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    When I hit the bag, I burn about 10 calories per minute.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Since I'm Certified to instruct it I'll give you a little of what I do with clients:

Left hand jabs- 50x2
    Right hand jabs- 50x2
    Combo- Left jab, right cross, left hook 20x2 (same with other hand)
    Uppercuts- doubles 2 left then 2 right 20x2
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    We did the following last night:

Speed night
    alternating crosses - 1 min
    single cross left - 1 min
    single cross right - 1 min
    alternating crosses - 1 min

step ups with overhead press - 1 min each leg

then back to the boxing. :)

you can add uppercuts and jabs in too...