Fast running/jog improvements

Options
Hello everyone I am currently enrolled in a course that requires me to have a decent fitness level and I was preparing my running for a good amout of time however I injured my ankle badly it was a peroneal strain so it took about 6 weeks to recover now I basically only have 5 weeks left to make up for the time I missed and to improve my running. I need to be able to run 5km in about 30 mins I would be grateful for any tips or advice I receive.
due to my time off from cardio exercising my running deteriorated by what I feel is a large amount and I really am doing poorly I can only go for a couple of minutes before going into a walk to rest before continuing the jog/run I am at this stage getting back into the second week since my ankle healed.
I mainly do slow long distance runs and hill runs however if this is inefficient that would be good to know

Replies

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Check out Couch to 5K (C25K) and see if that might work in your small time allotment?
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Check out C25K as suggested. For at least the first week or two do NOT overdo it. You don't want to risk re-injury. There is a decent chance that you will quickly regain the fitness level you lost while being down.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Check out some fartlek (funny I know) intervals. Coming off injury is tough.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,691 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been running for 6 weeks, you probably won't be able to get back to where you were in 5 weeks. Just do the best you can to slowly add running time. When the time comes to be tested, you may surprise yourself at how fast you can run when pushed, but you need to focus on building your endurance right now. Adding speed right now is likely to get you injured.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Agree, use the C25K program. Make sure you take a day off between every session! Do NOT over-train!

If you have a previous base you can probably skip the first few weeks. Maybe see if you can start week 3? If that goes really easy then try to jump forward a session or two? You'll get there! Good luck!