Low sodium & a big loss

Options
Hi everyone! I have a lot of swelling in my legs and feet it was getting worse. So last weekend I decided to switch to a low sodium diet. Salt is my weak spot not sweets. I got on the scale this morning and I had to get back on it. I couldn't believe my eyes. I have lost 6 lb I of mostly water weight in just one week! I can definitely tell the difference in my legs and feet. I bought a couple of Mrs. Dash mixes that are helping to replace the salt. Thanks for listening!

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Thats great!
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sodium makes a big difference! It hides in lots of unexpected places, too - who would think that a tortilla could have over 150 mg of sodium? If you read the labels, you can often find similar products with less sodium, which will reduce your numbers without affecting taste. After a few weeks of eating less sodium, you will really notice it when you eat a "full salt" item - it will taste too salty to you. Best of luck moving forward - you're doing great!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    AWESOME B)
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have a lot of swelling in my legs and feet it was getting worse. So last weekend I decided to switch to a low sodium diet. Salt is my weak spot not sweets. I got on the scale this morning and I had to get back on it. I couldn't believe my eyes. I have lost 6 lb I of mostly water weight in just one week! I can definitely tell the difference in my legs and feet. I bought a couple of Mrs. Dash mixes that are helping to replace the salt. Thanks for listening!

I used to have this in a horrendous way. As well as low sodium, I eat cabbage every single day. It is a natural diuretic. Super versatile veg! You can also wrap your feet/legs in it, I kid you not😄.

• dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    babyluthi wrote: »

I used to have this in a horrendous way. As well as low sodium, I eat cabbage every single day. It is a natural diuretic. Super versatile veg! You can also wrap your feet/legs in it, I kid you not😄.

A friend's Mom has the condition where the legs and feet swell...and cabbage is one of the therapies that helps her draw liquid out... For those curious, just google it. Pretty fascinating.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you are having edema in your legs and feet, you are very wise to move to a low sodium diet. Yes, our bodies do need some salt but nowhere near as much as we eat on average. Here's a good page with some straight information on salt in our diets and some targets to consider: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/salt-and-sodium/
  • michellenoel1
    michellenoel1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks HeidiCooksSupper. I have had edema for years and arthritis since I was 6 years old. I'm 52 now. I've also been been given a of steroids over the years but I can definitely tell a big difference from going low sodium and I'm very happy with it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!