Goal Achieved: 41lb lost in 2020

Options
hmaddpear
hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
Background

7 years ago today, I stepped into MFP for the first time. I was about 6 weeks into my first big weight loss attempt, hoping to lose 98lb and I mostly got there. I lost about 80% of what I set out to lose in around 15 months before falling off the wagon. I wrote a long-ish blog post about it here.

TL:DR: I managed to lose 80lb of 98lb in 2013/14 counting calories and walking a lot - pics in the spoiler:
1f7b306ef566a01cb3156741267f86cfc26f.jpg1f7b0ddee3cbcaf0b3d7ccdf1c8444836292.jpg

Enter 2020:

I stepped back into MFP at 201lb on January 4th, having regained over half of the initial loss. I set myself the goal of losing 41lb and getting to 160lb this time around. I also committed to a full year of logging, hopefully meaning I could get myself into the groove of continuing to log in maintenance. As of today, I've lost those 41lb and I have a 232 day streak, out of my committed 366 days.

Stats:

44 years old, female
Height 5' 6"
Starting Weight: 201lb
Goal Weight: 160lb

What I did:

I stuck to my original (2013) calorie goal of net 1640kcals and I tracked everything. My spouse and I do a lot of home cooking, a habit I picked up first time round and nothing is off the menu. We eat a lot of lean meat, eggs, fish, stir fries, salads and roasted vegetables. I also discovered home meal kits last year and sometimes pick up a box when I've a very busy work week. We've been re-using the recipe cards especially during the week as they are tailored to be quick and easy to cook. During lockdown we've also discovered a love of making, and eating, sourdough bread and crumpets!

Exercise-wise, I took up jogging back in 2015, so most of my exercise this time has been walking and jogging, something I was still able to do even in the strictest bit of lockdown. I currently average around 30 miles a week, and it's furthest I ever go at the moment! I also discovered You Tube yoga videos and have started with those 4-6 days a week.

Results:

4xouqkt9veo9.jpg

What Next:

I am committed to logging for the rest of the year and I definitely want to lose more weight. However, I've just moved jobs on (temporary) promotion, which means more responsibility so I'm not making any further goals this year. I'm going to keep tracking, keep logging and try to maintain my hard-won loss until the new year, then I'll look again at my goals and see where I want to be. I'm also still chasing a sub-60 minute 10K time, so once I'm back on an even keel with my job, I'm going to be working on that.

I just want to say thank you to all my wonderful MFP pals for their inspiration and pom-pom waving and to a lot of you I've interacted online with for your advice and kindness. I truly couldn't have got this far without you all.

<insert obligatory 'big pants pic' here>:
ixjepbbcxmio.jpg

Replies

• chasitystiff2514
    chasitystiff2514 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow you look great
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! I love how you have a goal of continuing to log and keeping your progress. Good luck with that temporary position, too.
  • hmaddpear
    Options
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    Wonderful! I love how you have a goal of continuing to log and keeping your progress. Good luck with that temporary position, too.

Thank you! It means a lot - your blog is one I read for inspiration. You've really helped me this year.
  • ms_maruska
    ms_maruska Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing!
  • lynnnichols63
    lynnnichols63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job
  • Walkingwithdogs
    Walkingwithdogs Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow...just....wow
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your new (temporary) job and keep up the good work on your health!
  • charlenebest33
    charlenebest33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration, you are amazing! B)
  • rontuueyeslikeafox
    rontuueyeslikeafox Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You've done so well! You look great :)
  • committed2bestme
    committed2bestme Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bravo and thanks for sharing!
  • Briaboo4
    Briaboo4 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Really great job! I'm so glad you've shared your story because I'm in the same boat that you were in. I lost 50lbs on mfp about 4 years ago but then I woke up one day with a frozen shoulder and I very quickly fell off the wagon. Fast forward to today and I'm a month into logging and exercising again and have lost 5 out of the 70 lbs I need to lose to get back to my goal weight. Thank you for the inspiration!
  • hmaddpear
    Options
    Briaboo4 wrote: »
    Really great job! I'm so glad you've shared your story because I'm in the same boat that you were in. I lost 50lbs on mfp about 4 years ago but then I woke up one day with a frozen shoulder and I very quickly fell off the wagon. Fast forward to today and I'm a month into logging and exercising again and have lost 5 out of the 70 lbs I need to lose to get back to my goal weight. Thank you for the inspiration!

@Briaboo4: Well done on getting back on to it. It's the hardest part, usually. I wish you luck on your journey.
  • placentaism
    placentaism Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am exactly in the same area of weight and have exactly the same size (170 cm). So it's incredibly useful to see someone who is not me progressing genuinely. I went up to 180 lbs in confinement (meh), but then just lost some and am now at 167 (aiming at 155-160 max). Of course I am still frustrated, but seeing how nicely visible the difference is between your two middle pictures, this cheers me up big time.
    Thanks!
  • darrellinph
    darrellinph Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats
  • sparkyoc
    sparkyoc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • hmaddpear
    Options
    Of course I am still frustrated, but seeing how nicely visible the difference is between your two middle pictures, this cheers me up big time.
    Thanks!

It's surprising how much difference 8lb makes when you are lighter. I didn't notice much difference between 240 and 210lb, first time round. But I definitely noticed 176lb to 168lb!

Good luck with your own journey - I also found it incredibly frustrating whilst losing the weight, at that point (c168lb) I felt I was in a permanent plateau!

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    hmaddpear wrote: »
    I also found it incredibly frustrating whilst losing the weight, at that point (c168lb) I felt I was in a permanent plateau!
    Oh yes, I know that feeling so well, though mine is happening at 177-178 lbs. However, my monthly average suggests that I am still losing, just more slowly than the last three months.
  • Chunky_Chick_Shrinks
    Options
    Fantastic! You look wonderful!
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Amazing accomplishment and transformation! Congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!