Baby Steps - 8 Days In

Options
Rannoch3908
Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
edited September 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I am at just over one week of changing my lifestyles. I know - that is barely anything but my approach is 1 week at a time.

Down 7 pounds so far whether that be real or just water weight. But still makes me happy and like something might be working. Was moving basically all weekend - played 5 rounds of frisbee golf, went of walks, walked around stores, anything to be up and off couch. Kinda hard to find things to fill 7 hours of normal tv time per day with healthier options --I know this sounds weird BUT what the heck does everyone else do from after work at 5pm till you go to sleep? I have 7 hours to kill and never done anything but watch tv before - workouts and walks only seem to take about an hour of that.

Pretty proud of myself - I broke down and went for fast food this weekend. But when I got to drive in I ordered 16 GRILLED chicken nuggets at Chickfil-A. No sauce - no fries - no drink. That is only 280 calories. Wasn't very delicious and pretty boring since it wasn't breaded and there was no ranch to drench them in but I have to make those kind of decisions if I want to be healthy. In the past I would have said "screw it" and got 16 breaded nuggets, a sandwich, fries, a large shake, and tons of dipping sauces. So big deal for me - baby steps.

P.S. Snowing here which is really cramping my style for getting out to walk, move, etc but trying to find things I can do inside till the summer weather returns Saturday.

Replies

• Erswim10
    Erswim10 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Always good to take steps even baby steps! You've got this and sounds like you are making the right choices! Usually if I'm watching a TV show I'll try to workout during that, be it a core set or weight set for even 15-20 minutes, it is good to be moving around.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how the rest of your time is structured. I work an office job. If you don't, your life is probably very different and that is ok. :) I get up at 5:30 in the morning, feed the dogs and let them out. Then I do 35-45 minutes on the treadmill before I shower for work. Its an 8am-5pm job, and I walk on my lunch break as well. I also fit in some body weight exercises and light weight moves. Bicep curls, squats, lunges, crunches and similar. After work: I head home and have dinner. Some light housekeeping type activities, and I recline for most of the evening.

If it does not bore you totally and you want to watch tv while moving: try walking in place, doing jumping jacks, etc. Doing that for 7 hours? Probably not. If this is meant more as increased movement rather than 'exercise' perhaps just challenge yourself to get up and do something every commercial break. Or do something that engages the mind if you want to watch less tv. Maybe read a book, do a jigsaw puzzle?

For me personally: I like to get my 'activity' out of the way so that I can recline in the evening. For you: figure out what works. You don't have to make active time out of every waking minute. Set goals, perhaps. X amount of 'exercise' time and Y amount of increased activity in your normal life.

I have turned to Chick fil A's grilled chicken nugget kids meal for an afternoon snack. Its really not a lot of food for the $5 or so it costs, but the grilled nuggets are tasty IMO (I think its only 4 or 6 of them) and small cup of fruit with a 10 cal diet lemonade is filling for very little calories. Learning go to items at fast food restaurants can be helpful. And getting a grilled chicken, fish meal at a 'real' restaurant can generally be a reasonable # of calories if eating out.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with sitting in front of the tv at night if that works with your goals! Being healthy doesn’t mean being active all day, every day.

I’m currently furloughed and home with two young kids so my routine might not work for you, but here is what I do.

Up by 8:00 and feed the kids and get them dressed. Then I put them in a double stroller and go for a long walk (anywhere from 2.5-4 miles) and sometimes we stop and play at the park. We are usually home between 10:30-11:00 and I sit and watch the kids in the play room until 11:30 and then feed them lunch and put them down for a nap. While they sleep I eat lunch, play on my phone and usually take a nap myself. They usually get up between 2:30-3:00 and we play or watch cartoons until my husband is done with work (around 4:30). We eat dinner around 6:00, kids are in bed at 7:30 and then I usually sit on the couch the rest of the evening.

According to my Apple Watch I usually get 9,000+ steps in each day, burn 500+ calories (above my basic staying alive rate) and I’m losing weight at a good clip even with hours at a time sitting in front of the tv.

Good job on the baby steps though, they will make a difference!
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    If you’re interested, try taking a free course from Coursera. It’s still sitting, but it will occupy your mind and it’s free so if you don’t like it you can quit.

I like to go for a walk after work, then I usually make dinner, eat, do the dishes, and watch TV or study (the kind you have to pay for unfortunately). I may do one chore as well (Monday’s are for vacuuming, Tuesday’s are toilet cleaning days,Wednesday is a dust day, etc.)

Learning to cook new healthier meals can be a good way to take up time too and maybe be a new hobby. Plus the clean up keeps you on your feet 😂.

Way to go with your 8 days and recognizing what your challenges are! You got this!
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You are gonna burn out quick if you are trying to keep moving every second that you aren't at work or sleeping. I'm sure there are a few people who do it, but it's not natural. We need downtime. We need to relax. Our bodies need to recover. Make your plan for exercise and stick to it. Make your plan for eating/calories and stick to it. Then do what you want in the rest of your free time. If it happens to involve moving, great. If it happens to involve zoning out in front of the tv, do it without guilt cause you've done what you are supposed to.
  • Rannoch3908
    Options
    I am not wanting to be active instead of watching tv - I thought that was the goal. I thought sitting was the new cigarette and so unhealthy for you. If sitting and watching tv after I get home is fine - cool with me.

I will just focus on eating better and working out a little - and keep my 7 hours of tv and 8 hours of desk work the same for now.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am not wanting to be active instead of watching tv - I thought that was the goal. I thought sitting was the new cigarette and so unhealthy for you. If sitting and watching tv after I get home is fine - cool with me.

I will just focus on eating better and working out a little - and keep my 7 hours of tv and 8 hours of desk work the same for now.

Sitting for extended periods of time does appear to be unhealthy for you. That doesn't mean your goal has to be constant movement. I make sure to break up activities like reading or watching television by getting up from time to time to do things like fold laundry, get a low calorie beverage, do gentle stretches between shows, etc. If I'm reading a book, I'll get up between chapters, even if it's even to pet my dog for a minute or put some dishes away.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I want to know what kind of work out you finish in only 1 hr. I can work out in 1 hr if I ONLY lift weights or if I ONLY do cardio. If I’m doing both, it’s more like 1 hr 45 minimum.

Also, sort of off topic, but I’m jealous of your evident lack of responsibilities that you have work and tv and that’s it lol.

I have a 9-5, an unpredictable schedule with a second home business, dinner, dishes, dog walks, house cleaning, etc etc AND finding time to work out. If you could send some of your free time my way, that would be greatly appreciated. 😜
  • Rannoch3908
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Okay - yes I do already get up to let the dogs out (can't walk them - too old), to cook dinner, to go to bathroom, go to change clothes, etc in between my watching of tv. We clean the house about 1 time a week - takes about 30 minutes. It's just two of us so we don't make a mess. I do laundry about once a month - I have a lot of clothes.

I do exercise for 15 minutes in the morning (all I can handle so far) and then do a 30 minute walk in the morning.

I have just lived a weird life where my butt was always planted in front of a computer or tv - so I really wasn't sure what normal people do from 5pm to 11pm each night. I am hearing that it isn't necessarily exercise - could be reading, a hobby, board games, chores.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    Okay - yes I do already get up to let the dogs out (can't walk them - too old), to cook dinner, to go to bathroom, go to change clothes, etc in between my watching of tv. We clean the house about 1 time a week - takes about 30 minutes. It's just two of us so we don't make a mess. I do laundry about once a month - I have a lot of clothes.

I do exercise for 15 minutes in the morning (all I can handle so far) and then do a 30 minute walk in the morning.

I have just lived a weird life where my butt was always planted in front of a computer or tv - so I really wasn't sure what normal people do from 5pm to 11pm each night. I am hearing that it isn't necessarily exercise - could be reading, a hobby, board games, chores.

No one is “too old” to walk their dogs or walk in general. Unless you mean the dogs are too old to handle the exercise??
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Sitting still for long periods of time is being reported as being as bad for smoking, but I think a happy medium is fine.

Try to get up and move for a minute or two every hour. My Apple Watch buzzes me at 50 minutes after the hour if it detects I have not been up and moving. I know a lot of Fitbit products do the same and I can only imagine all of the name brand fitness trackers have similar alerts.

Getting up and moving gets your blood flowing again, gives your brain and eyes a break from work and allows you to stretch. It doesn’t have to be a brisk walk, just make a lap or two around your office/home and then sit back down and continue what you were doing.

• Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I see, feel, your excitement. What worries me is burn out. Balance is everything. All of your posts recently- I’m here for that! Your drive and enthusiasm- yes all day! But your overdrive mentality- red flags. Remember, Rome was not built in a day. Be kind and patient worth yourself and keep us posted. Learn and listen is the method that has served most of us wisely.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    I do needlepoint or other crafty hobby activities while I sit in the evening.

Every little bit of movement helps and busy hands don’t stuff faces.

And before someone says “women’s work”, I’ve known several men who did needlepoint, including an ER doctor who did it for R&R.

Also, I’ve gotten in the very enjoyable habit of going for a 45 minute walk with my husband every evening. Sure, the calories are nice, but the companionship is even better. It’s our time to share, before we split up and he watches war movies and politics and I watch anything but that.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

And before someone says “women’s work”, I’ve known several men who did needlepoint, including an ER doctor who did it for R&R.

Also, I’ve gotten in the very enjoyable habit of going for a 45 minute walk with my husband every evening. Sure, the calories are nice, but the companionship is even better. It’s our time to share, before we split up and he watches war movies and politics and I watch anything but that.

I take a couple of the dogs for an evening walk with the hubby. I do needlepoint somtimes, but my go to for keeping my hands busy is counted cross stitch. It soothes my soul and ALSO keeps me from stuffing my face. 😜
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned sedentary time is not the enemy it just needs to be moderated. Activity needs to be moderated too. Sedentary time can be very beneficial. It can be used for rest which we need, it can be used for meditation, quiet hobbies, games that exercise the mind, study, reading, and certainly TV.

I am amazed though about how little TV I watch now. I doubt I even watch 10 hours a week now. I am not one of those snobs that avoid it because I am more elite than others it just happened naturally. Just because this has happened to me doesn't mean anything and it most assuredly did not happen at the beginning of my weight loss. My lifestyle adjustments have been 2.5 years in the making and not all of them have been intentional.

To the bolded above... it occurs to me that by living a healthier lifestyle I may be adding years to my life. Extended life is not always a blessing. Exercising my mind is now as important as ever. I have always enjoyed doing it so that helps but now it is an even higher priority.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ordered 16 GRILLED chicken nuggets at Chickfil-A. No sauce - no fries - no drink. That is only 280 calories. Wasn't very delicious and pretty boring since it wasn't breaded and there was no ranch to drench them in but I have to make those kind of decisions if I want to be healthy.

well that sounds awful.

why eat things you dont like? that isnt a very good way to create a lifestyle of eating that you can do for the rest of your life.

order a smaller portion of what you enjoy and a side salad to help bulk up the meal.

ive lost 130 pounds. i had a whopper yesterday for lunch. was still under my calories for the day.

if i feel like I am being deprived of the foods i like, or made to eat foods i DONT like, it wont last long. thats why so many people fail on diets.

Make changes that are sustainable.

• Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

It’s 2020. Nobody should be saying “women’s work”. Just like “starvation mode”- it’s not a thing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »

It’s 2020. Nobody should be saying “women’s work”. Just like “starvation mode”- it’s not a thing.

Nobody SHOULD be, but just yesterday I read about someone (a woman too!) saying that men were incapable of performing simple tasks like washing a dish or doing a load of laundry, so unfortunately it looks like we're still dealing with that kind of mindset.