Hungry in the evening

Options
Hello,

After 7:00 pm, I start craving food and can’t seem to satisfy my cravings. Suggestions/tips?

Replies

• The_Elephant_Man
    The_Elephant_Man Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Are you under calories? Can you fit in a snack and still meet calories? Drink water and do something to get your mind off of it.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    What are you eating before 7:00?
    What do you tend to crave?
  • Deborah2116
    Deborah2116 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don’t think I’m under calories. I’m trying to stick to 1300-1500/ day. Water is a good idea. I think I’ll pick up a good read on eating well to distract me.
  • Deborah2116
    Deborah2116 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have dinner before 7. It’s healthy, but I’m used to snacking while watching a movie after 7. I crave bread and sometimes sweets.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Try a cup of lower calorie hot chocolate or your favorite tea after dinner, and enjoy it slowly while you watch a movie and wind down for the day. I used to snack in the evenings too. If you aren’t able to save calories for after dinner snacking, you’re going to have to adjust your habits. Instead of being sedentary and your hands wanting something to do (like snacking), try crocheting, knitting, doing a puzzle, drawing, or something else low-attention while you watch tv. Or you could start a habit of walking in place while you watch. It won’t be that fun at first, but when you start to get into it, it can be one fun and something you look forward to. Then you can burn calories while you watch the bewb tube!
  • mvbays
    mvbays Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do this too— I think it is because I deprive myself all day and am used to eating the most at night. I am trying to plan lunches and afternoon snacks to help.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Some people say more protein satiate them better. 150gram 5.3oz or so cottage cheese meal could be good. Reserve some calories for 7 pm.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    1300 is pretty low, are you short and sedentary? It's possible you are aiming to lose weight a little faster than you need to.

Are you hitting your protein, fat, and fiber goals? If not, bringing up the stragglers might help with satiety.

Have you drastically changed your diet? Missing out on a bunch of foods you really like can lead to cravings in the evenings when we're more likely to just be sitting around with nothing to do. Try to fit some foods you are missing in every once and awhile.

I try to save 150-250 calories for an evening snack. Pre logging all my expected meals really helps with that. If I don't manage to, I'll have a square of dark chocolate with some tea.