Weight Loss / Healthy Living -- TIPS AND TRICKS

Options
Rannoch3908
Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
edited September 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Just starting my journey here. Tried many times, failed many times.

Would love to hear your small tips and tricks that help you. Whether it be something that helps you get off the couch, helps you eat right, helps you track, helps motivate you, a workout you found, etc.
I know there is no fast track - but I bet you guys have found some things that make the journey more simple and bearable.

Right now here is what I am doing and my info:
315lbs
Male
6ft 3in
Morbidly obese level
Goal weight - 216 - healthy weight
(1 pound per week for two years)
Past typical calories -- 4000+ daily
Current calorie goal -- 2000 daily
  • My plan is to simply eat at a calorie deficit. 2000 calories or less.
  • I plan to exercise with resistance bands -or- body weight daily - 15 minutes.
  • I plan to move more - that means walking, biking, cleaning, hiking - 15 minutes daily
  • I plan to TRY to keep my carbs under 100
  • I plan to get more sleep
  • I plan to drink more water - 100 ounces a day.
  • I plan to try to eat as much un-processed food as possible.
  • I plan to try to eat REGULAR size meals (right now I eat a whole pizza + breadsticks instead of 2 slices OR I eat a footlong instead of a 6" sub)

Replies

• LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Make small changes. Practice them until they become routine. Male more small changes. Practice. Repeat. This is an ultra marathon, not a 500 yard dash. Don't make drastic unsustainable changes now that you can't live with long-term.

My first chance was committing to 15 minutes of exercise in the morning and 15 in the evening, 3 x/week. There is simply no way you cant fit in 15 minutes, so I knew I could stick to it. I did. Now, I dont even have time for all the activities I love and enjoy, and find myself having to prioritize!

In the beginning, I would sleep in my exercise clothes so I could just get up and get to it. No chance of backing out if I'm already dressed!

Try everything. You never know what you'll fall in love with. I dug my old rollerblades out of the shed when I first started. Now I do speedskating and love racing! Who knew?

You got this. It'll be the best thing you ever do for yourself.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Try to find foods that work with your calorie goals that you actually enjoy. If you try to be too restrictive in your food selections, you will likely set yourself up to fail. Dieting doesn't have to mean only eating fruits and vegetables. You just have to work what you're having into your daily calorie allotment.

Also, try to find foods that are filling, but lower in calories.
  • lesstjm
    lesstjm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry. I used to try to skip meals or hold off longer to eat to cut calories. It always backfired on me because then I would binge eat later.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    One tip I liked and has worked for me lately, actually came from the South Beach Diet books. (For the record,I'm not advocating for South Beach; I just like this particular idea). His suggestion is to eat a broth based soup as a first course...the idea being that it will help you feel fuller. I like this because not only does that work well for me, but it helps me fit more vegetable servings into my diet, and soups can be relatively easy to make. Some people do a similar trick by drinking a glass of water before a meal but I like the soup idea too. This will maybe help for your last bullet point.

I also like the suggestion above about 'do' vs 'plan'....Do or Do Not, there is no 'plan'.. :)

I think what you have outlined above sounds very reasonable though.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    You asked a bunch of questions, which is good, because it shows you're thinking! And thinking is what will help you not only get through weight loss but well into maintenance.

I strongly suggest the Larger Loser group which can be found in by searching the sub-forums. Your desire to lose weight with a sustainable game plan will fit nicely with the culture and you will find a bunch of people who have tackled challenges that are similar to yours.

Don't get lost in the minutia.

Do a few studies probably show that there might be a slight weight loss advantage for people who eat breakfast. Even if the studies exist (and if they had actually equalized caloric budget adherence which I don't know that they had)... I sure don't eat breakfast when I first get up in the morning! I "save" my calories for a bit later because I am usually not hungry first thing in the morning and doing what I do better allows me to stick to my Calories. And guess what is the ONLY thing that achieves weight change? You're right, it is a caloric imbalance!

Is eating healthier a good goal? Absolutely. And if you check out the UN FAO web site you will find the national recommendations from pretty much every country in the world. The new Canadian ones and the Brazilian one make for some interesting reading. BUT, it doesn't really hold a candle when it comes to losing weight to you figuring out which foods are SATIATING FOR YOU for fewer calories.

And this will change over time. Today you may find celery filling and tomorrow you may find french fries filling--neither has ever been the case for me.. but you may be different! And this discovery comes from logging and then reviewing your logs and evaluating what you ate vs the caloric expense you incurred!

You don't have to kill yourself exercising (in fact it is probably not recommended when you start out)... but moving a bit more? Oh YES. It makes a big difference.

When I started out my first goal was to not have a single day for a month where I would end up with less than 5,000 steps. It took me a full three months before I got there. And I even had a dog so 5000 step days were not unknown to me... just not on a daily thing! Please note that 5K is less than an hour of walking at a moderate pace. And that MFP sedentary sits at around 3,500 steps a day.

Try to make plans and changes that you see yourself following not just for a couple of years while you lose weight but also for the first 3-5 years of maintenance. Will they remain in the books unmodified for 5-7 years? Who knows. But if it feels like they COULD, then you're probably making choices that have a hope of being sustainable.

The most basic "missing" item from your list is logging food carefully :smile:

Do you HAVE to log your food to lose weight? probably not. But it would help you "moderate" / "manage" the rate of loss.

Don't fall into the trap that only fast is good.

Similarly... the goals should not be absolute values: "I will eat under 2K Cal", it should be a DEFICIT goal... I will aim to eat 500, or 750 or 1000 Cal LESS a day as compared to my maintenance level. Actually percentage goals are even better in my books, albeit not supported by MFP

Look at some of the stuff @NovusDies and @AnnPT77 have written lately. Look through the "sticky" posts in the beginning of each forum: they are a treasure trove of information if you make your way through them.

Don't worry too much about intermittent fasting (not proven as of yet in terms of doing anything other than help some people control calories); lower carb (other than if it helps with satiation). Same goes for controlling non-intrinsic sugars. And ingesting reasonable quantities of artificial sweeteners that are classified as generally regarded as safe or safer!

You don't have to revamp everything in one day. You don't even have to cut from 4K Cal to 2K. You're probably going to be burning well over 3K cal with some movement and as mentioned faster is not always better.

Make a plan. Check how your weight trend responds to the plan. And adjust. And weight trend is not just your daily weight but the TREND of your daily weight over time. (check out weight trend apps and webs sites)

Take care and good luck.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for 6 years now only to watch it rise. My tip: don't eat anything that inflames your intestines.

Inflamed intestines do not take in nutrition as best as they should and this leads to your body trying to function while stressed. You may feel more tired and run down, plus your cortisol levels may be higher than they should.

Inflamed intestines can also lead to a condition called leptin resistance. Your body stops reading the leptin signals that tell your brain you are full and the result is that you're hungry all the time regardless of what and how much you eat. I had this problem last year and it made simple weight maintenance very difficult.

I did an elimination diet for two months and then slowly started reintroducing certain foods into my diet. Anything that caused bloating or adverse intestinal problems, I now stay away from those things. The leptin resistance faded away, I successfully dropped my daily calorie intake, and I have lost 18.6 pounds since April 2020.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I agree with Novus, don't try to do everything all at once. It' to overwhelming. Just pick the most important thing, eating your calorie deficit, get comfortable at that then start worrying about the other stuff like carbohydrates and macros.

Like the song says...Take it easy on yourself.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    My top tip to start with, be aware of the language you use.

I don't plan to do things, I am going to do things. It is a small but important difference in my brain.
    A plan allows wiggle room that means I will talk myself out of it!

So for example: tomorrow I will go for a 15 min walk, cook dinner from scratch, and go to bed at xpm.
    Much more definite.

Remember, there is no try - only do or do not do

Agree with the above. "Plan" sets one up for failure.

Best of luck.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    you haven't lost 3 pounds of fat since friday. you've lost water weight and you've lost weight from having more food traveling through your system that hasn't yet been... er..,. removed.

fruits have plenty of calories, and if you're focusing on protein and long-chain carbs, they're not a replacement. if they make you happy, eat them, but 100 calories of a hershey bar and 100 calories of fruit are both 100 calories and both have sugar.

an extended walk works better for me than counting steps. i lose more weight and build more muscle by continuously walking for 40 minutes than i do counting a bunch of trips to the kitchen, to get the mail and walking to my car.

that being said, i wear a fitbit, but i don't take it too seriously. i haven't once hit 10,000 steps since august 1, but i've taken walks of up to 40 minutes, and even though that doesn't hit 6000 steps, i've lost just over 4 pounds and built i'd guess a pound of muscle - my biceps have obviously grown, my chest has visibly lost fat, i've lost an inch around my waist and i've added 25 pounds to my lower back exercises in that period. woohoo on that last!
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I'm eating veggies and turkey sausage for lunch.
    Caprese for snack (tomato, cheese, cucumber, dressing).
    Eating pretzels, chocolate, apples for snacks. Bananas and grapes as snacks.
    Avocado with salt and pepper for breakfast.
    Revive smoothie with almond milk for dessert.
    All meal prepped and seperated so it's easy to grab and I don't eat anything else.

Eating dinners from a meal service at night. They are awesome. One portion. Always 700 calories or less. Healthy.

I wish I could eat what I loved in moderation but I don't have much moderation or control once those foods hit my lips. That would be deep dish pizza, cheesy bread, sub sandwiches, calzones, pasta w/ bread, fried chicken, XL burritos with all the worst dressings and queso, blizzards from dq, etc. Thinking maybe I'll take one of the previously people's advice. Indulge in a thin crust pizza once a week. But I'm sure it won't be the same --- love bread and cheese and grease and as much of it as possible all at once.

I know people said the start with just eating but Ive started walking, playing disc golf, and bicycling around neighborhood. Just 30 minutes a day. Still lots of time just sitting in front of tv and computer. Not sure how to be even more active. Maybe in time.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    or extend the logic - indulge in a deep dish pizza once a fortnight or once a month - and do it in a way that stops you over eating - for example order the smallest size.
    But dont deny it altogether

Ive found it best to allow everything - but of course some things only occasionally and/or only in small portions
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,453 Member
    Options
    We make personal pizzas using lavash or naan breads.

I used a squeeze of tomato paste in a tube, some pizza spice seasoning, snip 2 or 3 ounces of lovely fresh mozarella on top (same or lower calories than the bland bagged shredded stuff and boy! does it make a difference!) and an ounce of pepperoni on top. Stick it under the broiler for a couple of minutes and it does the trick for a fraction of the calories of a boxed pizza. Trader Joe’s Ciao pepperoni is really good.

I’m planning to make a fresh batch of naan tomorrow to restock the freezer.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I started at near your stats about 2.5 years ago. Weighed 308 at about 6’2 1/2” or so. Tried many times with the big calorie cut thing- could NOT maintain it and went back to bad!!This time worked! I’m currently about 204 but had gotten to 195 bounced up from covid quarantine being stupid and bringing it back down now.

Here’s what worked for me - I didn’t count calories in the beginning- I just tried to eat “better”. Also I started to move a lot more. I lost about 60 lbs in six months and then it slowed a little so I started counting/tracking. I kept a vague track in my head, and I shot for maintenance calories at my goal weight. Not saying don’t track/count- it is very helpful- I didn’t because it felt like too much effort and too much like a “diet” not a lifestyle change. You know what better is- half a pizza instead of an whole etc. I also started moving much more.

To this day I find it hard to go under 2000 calories. MFP tells me that if I eat about 1800 cals plus exercise cals. I’m good and will lose about 1.5 lbs per week. So I pretty much eat around 2200/day and exercise 400+ cals and I’m losing steadily.

In short- I think 2000 calories a day is too low at your weight and height and you will not be able to sustain this. Please consider upping this to at least 2500 or even better 2500 plus 1/2 exercise calories. I just checked and 2500 cals is maintenance at 216 lbs for your height and sedentary. So this is the amount you’ll need once you’re “there” anyway. At 2500 cals you’ll still lose like 3-4 lbs per week in the beginning and if after a few months and 40 or 50 lbs you can always drop lower.

I’m sorry. Seeing the numbers move almost daily on the scale is awesome. But I can tell you from experience that keeping the scale number low is even better!!