Can the calories be increased to 1,800 which is more realistic

ToriJTam
ToriJTam Posts: 4 Member
edited September 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Is there anyway to have more than 1,200 calories? I am mature, with arthritis and sleep apnea. It is discouraging and very hungry/depriving to only have 1,200 calories. Please help!

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    ToriJTam wrote: »
    Is there anyway to have more than 1,200 calories? I am mature, with arthritis and sleep apnea. It is discouraging and very hungry/depriving to only have 1,200 calories. Please help!

Consider running your details in here...

https://tdeecalculator.net/

...to get another estimate of your current caloric needs and long-term weight loss goals.

If you want to eat more, while still losing you may need to compromise on your timeline (or amount of weight list per week).

It'll just take a but longer, is all.

You may also want to have a chat with your doctor about your nutritional/weight loss goals and the best approach for you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

It was your choice of Activity level which may or may not be correct, and your selection of rate loss rate.
    Those 2 things with your physical stats led to 1200 being the result of the math.

And even if you are short and selected honest activity level and reasonable rate of loss and still got that 1200 - that goal is ONLY on days you do no exercise.
    When you do more you eat more.

I doubt you are doing 600 cal of workouts daily, could be.

And then as mentioned manually creating the eating goal.

But you should have a good idea of what you need for weight loss. Eating less than you burn.
    Is 1800 really less than you burn, or just how much you want to eat?
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Go back thru the guided setup and change the goal to maintain. This is to get an idea of what your total daily calorie needs are (before exercise) based on your current activity level. You need to eat less than that to lose weight. Other options include increasing activity level (picking up some on-your-feet active type hobbies) and/or exercising more and eating a portion of the burned calories back.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    What have you set your weekly goal to? Most people, unless they are petite and completely sedentary, can lose weight on more than 1200 calories, 1200 is just the lowest number MFP gives. Try picking a smaller weekly rate of loss and see what it gives you.

Also, make sure you add your exercise in. Especially for mature women we need to avoid losing muscle while losing weight. I know arthritis makes it harder, but every little bit counts - do what you are capable on your good days, and a little bit more tomorrow! I started my weight loss journey using cans as weights and walking slowly, and gradually built up. If you can find an activity like swimming, stationary bike, or elliptical that doesn’t hurt your joints, it may help.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    You get to decide how many calories you will eat. You don't have to use the MFP settings. If I use them and put in 2 pounds a week and sedentary, I get a number way too small for me to be satisfied. I eat 1725/day and walk a couple of miles most days. This means I've been losing 1.5 pounds a week pretty consistently since early May. You do what works for you. Trying to stick to a calorie number that is too low just results in frustration and quitting. I started out with more calories and no exercise. I will diminish calories and/or increase exercise slowly to try to maintain the 1.5 pounds a week until I find that rate too much to maintain. Right now, my BMI is still over 40 so I have plenty of weight to lose.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    you can eat however many you want.

I would gain weight on 1800 calories, but that is not true for everyone lol
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    As others have said, you can set your calories to whatever you want. There is no reason to adopt a rule like "1200 calories" if it isn't working for you. Go to the MFP goals tool, enter your stats, and play around with the weight loss per week field - put in 0.5 lb per week, 1 lb per week, etc., and see how many calories you'd get to eat in those different scenarios. Then you'll have a better sense of direction with this.

One thing is for sure - being excessively hungry is NOT a solid path for losing weight. 1200 is not a lot of calories, and if it's leaving you excessively hungry, it isn't going to fly as a diet plan anyway, so you may as well change it now. If you can still lose weight on 1400 or 1500, those kinds of numbers would be WAY easier to keep going with.

I eat 250 calories per day more than I started my diet with - I was just too hungry using my initial targets. One point being, maybe sometimes we start off too aggressive and have to listen to our bodies and realize we have to back off a bit. The other point being, you can adjust your calories any time you want - they are not written in stone. You can start doing 1400 today, see how it goes, and take it from there. You can spend weeks experimenting to find the right balance between feeling "full enough" vs losing weight at the pace you want.

But importantly, I think for many people, certainly for me, there's a break in period with a diet where you just have to get used to it. Being hungry and feeling deprived at first can pass in a few weeks once your body and mind get used to it. So if you are at the very start of a diet, you may need to give yourself a little time to get used to it. If you've already been at it 3+ weeks and are still ravenously hungry, then it's probably time to increase the cals.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,067 Member

without knowing your height or weight, hard to say.

i slowly gain weight on 1800 pounds, but i'm 5' 3" with low muscle mass.

i found it can be helpful to eat tiny protein snacks between meals if you get hungry. well, i used to do that till i stopped eating meals altogether and started eating only snacks LOL