canning or jaring salsa

Options
So, this is the first year that I have had a garden and have a ton of tomatos and pepers. I have decided to make salsa, but need to know how to jar or cann it. I do not have any canning equipment, but have the jars and lids. Any help would be great!

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    A canning pot with the rack should be $20 new at Walmart or similar stores. Salsa is acidic enough that ... lemme check I don't think it needs pressure canned (more expensive equipment)

www.bernardin.ca for a reference while I have a look
  • leannmr2002
    Options
    You can also freeze it...just do a google search and you will find a lot of different recipes.
  • Pandorian
    Options
    Processing in a Boiling Water Canner
    Use a rack to keep jars from touching canner bottom and to allow heat to reach all sides of the filled jars. Put jars into a canner that contains simmering water. Add boiling water if needed to bring water 1-2 inches above jar tops. Don’t pour water directly on the jars. Place a tight-fitting cover on canner. (If you use a pressure canner for water bath canning, leave the cover unfastened and the petcock open to prevent pressure buildup.) Bring water back to a rolling boil. Set a timer for recommended processing time. Watch closely to keep water boiling gently and steadily. Add boiling water if necessary to keep jars covered. Remove the jars from the canner immediately after timer sounds. The food could spoil later if jars are left in hot water too long.

You will want some sort of acid, vinegar or lemon juice for example. TONS of recipes online just google canning salsa!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Processing in a Boiling Water Canner
    Use a rack to keep jars from touching canner bottom and to allow heat to reach all sides of the filled jars. Put jars into a canner that contains simmering water. Add boiling water if needed to bring water 1-2 inches above jar tops. Don’t pour water directly on the jars. Place a tight-fitting cover on canner. (If you use a pressure canner for water bath canning, leave the cover unfastened and the petcock open to prevent pressure buildup.) Bring water back to a rolling boil. Set a timer for recommended processing time. Watch closely to keep water boiling gently and steadily. Add boiling water if necessary to keep jars covered. Remove the jars from the canner immediately after timer sounds. The food could spoil later if jars are left in hot water too long.

You will want some sort of acid, vinegar or lemon juice for example. TONS of recipes online just google canning salsa!

Tomatoes are acidic enough to not have to add anything else.............and tomatoes keep well when canned and preserved.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    It freezes really well.
  • kissiefish
    Options
    canning salsa does not require the pressure cooker, only the water bath processing. I have the Ball book of canning (super cheap on abcdistributing.com )
    LOVE canning!!! I do pickled Okra every summer. I made my own salsa this year. Make small batches and see how you like it first then if you are going to freeze it,...make the batch "dryer" because it will have ice crystals and be "wetter" when you thaw it.
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    there is a website - pickyourown.com or pickyourown.org something like that - she has fabulous recipes for canning all kinds of things - step by step instructions with pictures, I <3 that site! It's turned me into a make my own freak ;)
  • Pandorian
    Options
    The tomatoes are indeed acidic enough themselves but the other ingredients you put in the salsa could lower the acidity, so find a recipe and run with it, if it indicates to add an acid do so! Especially when just starting with canning, follow a tried and true recipe and adjust to your taste once you are more familiar with the process!