Tofu Help?

Options
Hey there, I've wanted to try to cook tofu for a while, and I did try once...I used I think a semi-hard and put it into a stir fry...it had no taste and the texture was off puting...anyone have any suggestions for me on how to cook it to make it taste good? Thanks!

Replies

• kerrylou150
    Options
    tofu is like a sponge - it will take on any flavor you want it to have but first you have to drain all the extra water from it.

place the block of tofu in between a clean kitchen towel and set something heavy - like a soup can. Let it sit in the fridge like that for a while. as little as 15 mins to as long as an hour or two...

then season or marinate and cook how ever you like.

I personally like to bake for 20 at 450 basting with bbq sauce.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    If you slice the block and squeeze the water out (put layers of paper towels between each tofu slice and top with a heavy can for a while). Then take the slices and put them in ziploc bags with marinade and freeze them. Thaw, cut into cubes and add to stirfry.

I don't like the texture of tofu but this makes it chewier and when you displace the water more marinade can soak in.

You can also press the tofu, cut in cubes, then coat well in BBQ sauce. Bake in a 300 degree oven until the BBQ sauce is good and carmelized.

Good luck!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Pan-Crisped Tofu with Greens and Peanut Dressing

This sweet-salty dressing deliciously turns crisp tofu and salad greens into a light lunch or dinner. Allow 30 minutes in your prep time for pressing the tofu.

YIELD: 8 servings
    COURSE: Main Dishes

Ingredients

1/3 cup white miso (soybean paste)
    1/3 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
    1/3 cup rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
    1/2 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts, divided
    5 tablespoons canola oil, divided
    2 (14-ounce) packages water-packed firm tofu, drained
    8 cups gourmet salad greens
    Minced fresh chives (optional)
    Preparation

1. Combine first 4 ingredients, 1/4 cup peanuts, and 3 tablespoons oil in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.

2. Cut each tofu block crosswise into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices. Arrange tofu on several layers of paper towels. Top with several more layers of paper towels; top with a cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan. Let stand 30 minutes. Remove tofu from paper towels.

3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 8 tofu slices to pan; sauté 4 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden. Remove from pan, and drain tofu on paper towels. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining 8 tofu slices. Place 1 cup greens on each of 8 plates. Top each serving with 2 tofu slices, 3 tablespoons miso mixture, and 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped peanuts. Garnish each serving with chives, if desired.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 266
    Fat: 18g
    Saturated fat: 1.8g
    Monounsaturated fat: 8.3g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 6.8g
    Protein: 13.9g
    Carbohydrate: 13g
    Fiber: 4.1g
    Cholesterol: 0.0mg
    Iron: 3mg
    Sodium: 375mg
    Calcium: 227mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Teriyaki Tofu Steaks with Soba Noodles

Look for water-packed when you need tofu to hold its shape. Weighting the tofu with a plate for at least 20 minutes releases some of its water, giving it a firmer texture. Cooking it in this sweet and tart sauce infuses it with flavor.

YIELD: 4 servings

Ingredients

1 pound water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained
    1/4 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
    2 tablespoons sake (rice wine)
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 cup vegetable broth
    4 heads baby bok choy (about 1 1/2 pounds), each cut in half lengthwise
    4 cups cooked soba noodles (about 1 pound uncooked buckwheat noodles)
    1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
    2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
    Preparation

Place tofu between several layers of paper towels. Place a heavy plate on top of tofu, and let stand 20 minutes. Cut tofu crosswise into 4 pieces.

Combine mirin and next 8 ingredients (mirin through garlic) in a bowl, stirring with a whisk.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu pieces; pour mirin mixture over tofu. Bring to a boil; cook 4 minutes. Turn tofu pieces over; cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and keep warm.

Bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add bok choy; cover and cook 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.

Place 1 cup soba noodles on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 tofu piece. Spoon about 1 tablespoon sauce over each tofu piece; sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon green onions and 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds. Arrange 2 bok choy halves on each plate.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 331
    Calories from fat: 19%
    Fat: 6.9g
    Saturated fat: 1g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
    Protein: 18.3g
    Carbohydrate: 47.5g
    Fiber: 3.6g
    Iron: 4mg
    Sodium: 848mg
    Calcium: 244mg
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I always use extra firm for a stir fry, and actually for soup too (I don't cook them for soups - I don't mind the softer texture there).

Anyway - try pressing and baking it first! Put the tofu on something with holes so it can drain out (I use a colander with a flattish bottom), and put something heavy on it for a while. Then cut it into cubes or whatever shape (not too small - maybe 1.5"). Spray a pan with baking spray and put the cubes in for 20 min. or so on around 375ish, turning once. (You can tell I'm not exact with this - just bake them until they're a little bit golden, and springier). Add these to the end of your stir fry. (or marinate them, and then add)

You can also try stir frying pressed tofu cubes in just a little baking spray and low sodium soy sauce, without baking first. Put those aside and proceed with your stir fry, adding the pre-fried cubes last.

Hope this helps :) I'd be happy to send an exact recipe or two along, too.
    - Kristin
  • richellecc
    Options
    Those sound great...I think maybe I'll go grocery shopping tomorrow night and pick up some tofu! Thanks, I'm always open for more ideas!
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Grilled Tofu with Ratatouille Vegetables

This attractive, summery barbecue dish combines the vegetables of the famous Provençal stew with meaty grilled tofu.

Ingredients

1 cup organic vegetable broth
    1/2 cup fresh orange juice
    1/2 cup dry rosé wine
    2 teaspoons dried herbes de Provence
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon olive paste
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, cut into 8 (3/4-inch-thick) slices
    3 small eggplants, each cut lengthwise into 4 slices
    3 small zucchini, each cut lengthwise into 4 slices
    1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
    1 large red bell pepper, cut into 8 wedges
    4 small tomatoes
    Cooking spray
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
    Preparation

1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

2. Place first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cook until slightly syrupy and reduced to 1/3 cup (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat; cool. Stir in olive oil and next 4 ingredients (through garlic).

3. Place tofu and vegetables on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Brush half of juice mixture over tofu and vegetables; grill for 4 minutes. Turn tofu and vegetables over; brush with remaining juice mixture. Cook for 3 minutes or until vegetables are golden brown and tender.

4. Combine basil, parsley, and thyme. Divide vegetables and tofu equally among 4 plates. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon herb mixture.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 309
    Fat: 13.6g
    Saturated fat: 1.9g
    Monounsaturated fat: 6.2g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 4.3g
    Protein: 13.9g
    Carbohydrate: 33.1g
    Fiber: 9.7g
    Iron: 3.4mg
    Sodium: 440mg
    Calcium: 296mg
  • allygrev95
    Options
    i've been a vegetarian my whole life and i love tofu! if you know how to cook it it's great! i never worry about drying it out, but if you do, cube it and put some on a baking sheet. put it in a 300 degree oven for about 10 minutes. that'll dry it out enough. My 'signature' tofu recipe, is to throw it in a wok or frying pan with no oil or anything. keep stirring it around until it starts to sizzle (dries it out even more), then pour some soy sauce right in the pan. get it as nice and coated as possible, then put brown sugar in there and mix that up. after that it's pretty much up to taste. i like it sweeter so i always add more brown sugar, but you may like it saltier. i also like to put some chopped up garlic in there sometimes (the kind you can get in the jar). Mixing frozen broccoli with it is good too. Just make it in the microwave, throw it on the plate, and throw the tofu on top! Same goes for brown rice! i hope you try and like it :)
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Marinated Tofu with Sticky Rice and Asparagus

Ingredients

2 (16-ounce) packages firm tofu, drained
    1/2 cup hoisin sauce
    1/3 cup sake (rice wine)
    3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 tablespoons water
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon roasted peanut or vegetable oil, divided
    1 pound asparagus spears (about 24)
    3 cups hot cooked sticky rice

Preparation

Cut each block of tofu crosswise into 6 slices. Arrange tofu slices in a single layer in a large nonstick skillet; cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Arrange tofu slices in a single layer in a shallow dish. Combine hoisin sauce and next 6 ingredients (hoisin sauce through garlic), and stir with a whisk. Reserve 1/2 cup hoisin mixture, and pour remaining hoisin mixture over tofu, turning tofu to coat. Let stand 30 minutes.

Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat in skillet; add half of tofu and marinade. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining tofu.

Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Steam asparagus, covered, 5 minutes. Place 6 asparagus spears and 3/4 cup rice on each of 4 plates; arrange 3 tofu slices and 2 tablespoons reserved hoisin mixture on each plate.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 480
    Calories from fat: 29%
    Fat: 15.7g
    Saturated fat: 2.4g
    Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 7.8g
    Protein: 25g
    Carbohydrate: 64g
    Fiber: 6.2g
    Cholesterol: 1mg
    Iron: 15.1mg
    Sodium: 907mg
    Calcium: 290mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Barbecued-Tofu Sandwich

Think what you will about barbecue's affinity for tofu, this match-up makes a wonderful hot sandwich. Put a little Tofu Coleslaw next to it for an extra kick.

COURSE: Sandwiches
    Ingredients

1 (14-ounce) package firm tofu, drained and cut into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 cup commercial barbecue sauce
    4 (2-ounce) hamburger buns

Preparation

Place tofu on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 1 hour, pressing down occasionally. Sprinkle slices with salt.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge tofu slices in flour. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; brush half of barbecue sauce over tofu, and cook 2 minutes. Turn slices over; brush with remaining barbecue sauce, and cook 3 minutes or until tofu is glazed. Place 2 tofu slices on bottom halves of buns; cover with tops of buns.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 332
    Calories from fat: 27%
    Fat: 10g
    Saturated fat: 1.8g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 5.1g
    Protein: 15g
    Carbohydrate: 46.3g
    Fiber: 3.4g
    Iron: 8.2mg
    Sodium: 907mg
    Calcium: 196mg
  • Autumn15
    Options
    I had wondered about some thing good to do with the blocks of tofu these ideas are great....I actually found tofu spaghetti the other day and it was fabulous...Loved it!
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    There are so many varieties and ways of cooking tofu that you can produce nearly any texture or flavour you want. You can make everything from smooth, creamy mint chocolate mousse to crisp and chewy bacon. A good tip is that tofu loves a marinade. Also, make sure you purchase the variety you want. I most often cook with firm tofu, but if you get smooth/dessert tofu or extra firm you will get entirely different textures. Additionally, by freezing it overnight or draining it for different amounts of time you'll get different textures as well.

Tofu on it's own has no real flavour, but it will absorb the flavour of anything you place around it. You need to add flavours if you're cooking tofu, or you'll get no taste at all. How thin you slice it and how long you cook it also contribute to taste - I find that I don't like think cubes, as the middle often doesn't absorb the flavour, and for this reason prefer thinner slices. Others differ.

I usually use vegweb for tofu recipes. I find the miscellaneous section has the funnest ones.
    http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=557.0 (Main page for tofu recipes)

Some recipes:
    http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=14098.0 (Marinated Orange Tofu)
    http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=8769.0 (General Tao's Tofu)
    http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=28689.0 (Sesame Tofu)
    http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=5158.0 (Breakfast Tofu)

My basic, super lazy tofu recipe is as follows:
    1/4 block firm tofu, drained of moisture
    1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp of your preferred cooking oil
    1 cup chopped broccoli, bok choy or spinach

Mix together the nutritional yeast and garlic powder in a bowl. Crumble the tofu into the mixture, as small or large as you prefer. Mix so that the tofu is covered with the nutritional yeast/garlic powder mixture. Heat the oil in a frying pan and make sure your veggies are chopped. Put the tofu in the pan and set it to medium heat. Add the veggies shortly after. Cook until the tofu is lightly browned and your veggies are your preferred texture. Taste test if you're not sure, and if you would prefer a crisper texture, add some extra time.

This tofu scramble is very quick to make, and tastes delicious. Good luck!!
  • girard5
    girard5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love substituting silken tofu for cream in recipes...I know it sounds crazy but when you throw it in a food processor it liquifies and becomes like a thick cream without the guilt. One of my favorite recipes using this is a semi-homemade tomato soup. Hope you enjoy!

1 can of diced tomatoes
    1/2 block of silken tofu
    Onion - as much or as little as you like on the following
    Garlic
    Fresh basil
    Oregano
    Thyme
    S & P
    Parmesan
    Croutons

Sautéed the onions, garlic in a pan until translucent - add the tomatoes and allow to simmer on low for about 15 mins then add about 1/2 a block of silken tofu that has been chopped up and let simmer another 10-15 mins. Add the herbs and fold in. Take off the heat - you can then put them in a food processor or allow the soup to cool slightly before putting it in the blender. Once blended stick it back in the pan and adjust any seasonings and heat on low if necessary. You can top it with fresh Parmesan or croutons if you like as well.
  • Pdschurig
    Pdschurig Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have not cooked with tofu in along time but I always used extra firm and drained it and patted it dry and then cubed it and stir fried it with alittle olive oil. But by itself it does not have much flavor.
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    I love substituting silken tofu for cream in recipes...

That's a fantastic idea!! Thanks for sharing.
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    My favorite tofu recipe is "vacon". Slice a block of extra firm tofu into bacon-ish sized slices. Place between two clean towels and use something heavy to press out the moisture - I like to use a stoneware cookie sheet.

Fry in a pan coated with cooking spray until the edges are crispy and golden brown, flipping frequently. Mix together 1/4 cup of Braggs or Soy sauce with 1 tbsp. of liquid smoke. Pour over the tofu evenly making sure each slice absorbs some of the mixture. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast over the slices, turning to coat. Serve on toast with lettuce, tomato, and veganaise (or mayo). It is so very good, and one of the dishes I miss most from my vegetarian days.
  • polly_polly
    polly_polly Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump, esp. for DHalaby73's awesome recipes.
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump