Just diagnosed with NAFLD. Anyone else here working to combat this? Advice welcome.

Hey there,

I just got a diagnosis of NAFLD today. I have been working to be more active and eat better since January, when I started really feeling lousy, so I think I've already made changes and am moving in the right direction. I've lost 20 lbs., and am definitely getting stronger and am basically sticking to a 1200 cal. diet. My liver enzymes are back down out of the hundreds, into the 70s.

My question is: How much more do I need to do? Have any of you worked with a registered dietician, or any other type of provider who has helped you work with this?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    According to the Mayo Clinic (a reliable source), about a quarter of the US population have some NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease). The three ways to reduce it's effects are a healthy, plant-rich diet, maintaining a healthy weight, and exercise. (Yup, the old saw "eat less and move more" rears its ugly head again.)

So, the questions for you are
    1. Does your diet include plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and healthy fats?
    2. Is your weight in the healthy BMI range or close to it?
    3. Are you exercising most days of the week?

Those are the things we all need to do to have a healthy liver. Oh, and of course, avoid alcohol (or too much of it).