Trying to stay healthy during cancer treatment

Options
benodie
benodie Posts: 231 Member
Diagnosed with breast cancer smack bang in the middle of lockdown! 16th April.
Just started chemotherapy and looking to get as heathy as possible to help my body through the next 4 months and beyond. Any help gratefully received 😊

Replies

• 2932Angela
    2932Angela Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this and it sucks! I just finished chemo for ovarian cancer in February, and am now looking to eat better again. I know that when I was facing surgery, my docs strongly recommended eating as much protein as possible to help my body weather the surgery, and the chemo. I was able to keep the protein up, with smoothies, but also found that chemo wrecked my eating habits. . . .eating lots of sour candies to tolerate the wretched burnt rubber taste in my mouth. My docs strongly supported that I eat what I could during active treatment, and not be too hard on myself about what I ate. Now, however, it's time for me to "shape up" and eat healthy. I wish you speedy recovery! Do what you can now, and just know that this chemo phase won't be forever!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    Sending strength and sympathies!

I had stage III locally advanced breast cancer 20 years ago, and the full course of treatment (bilateral mastectomies, one simple & one modified radical, tumors in both breasts, positive lymph node; 6 months of chemo; 6 weeks of radiation; 2.5 years of Tamoxifen and 5 years of Arimidex). Worst hobby I've ever had, cancer treatment! 😆

Good for you, focusing on healthy eating. I did better after the first chemo cycle, knowing what to expect, what would taste better, sit easily, etc., after that experience in the first round. Does your cancer center have a registered dietitian, or can your doctor refer you to one? The one at my center was quite helpful to me.

If you feel up to it, continuing some level of light, manageable exercise is also helpful, counters the fatigue a bit, surprisingly.

One thing I learned, was that if I had nausea during chemo, it was different from nausea from stomach flu or the like, for me With the latter, I was better off not eating until my stomach felt settled. With chemo nausea, the problems were reduced if I started eating what I could, when I could, even at the small nibbles level. I took to carrying saltine crackers and lemon hard candy (the latter for the reasons Angela mentioned in addition to the nibble benefits) in my purse, and just eating little bits of those very frequently to keep things on a better even keel. That was in addition to the more nutrition-focused real meals/snacks. For sure, nutrition management is a higher priority than weight management, during treatment.

Just wanted to chime in with some sympathy. The treatment process seems very slow while it's happening, so it's kind of a one day at a time thing. But hang in there, the more difficult parts will be in your rear-view mirror, and steady improvement replacing the side effects.

Sending strength and well wishes!
  • mvbays
    mvbays Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love that you are using the news as an opportunity to take care of yourself in this way! Food is medicine and I am praying for you a full recovery!