Headaches

Options
Has anyone had this same issue when first starting the program? I think my body isn't use to me cutting out a lot of calories and it's really hard to maintain a 1,200 calorie diet. Any ideas on meals that dont have a lot of calories, and even snacks?

Replies

• channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'd look at how much water you're drinking or not drinking rather. I find headaches often tend to be related to being somewhat dehydrated.
  • sheenades0804
    sheenades0804 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks...Thats something I do need to work on...
  • MaryK71
    Options
    It's important to have protein every time you eat if possible. Drink lots of water. I get headaches frequently, but when i eat right regularly they practically disappear.Hope this helps you some.
  • Caitie1986
    Caitie1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'd look at how much water you're drinking or not drinking rather. I find headaches often tend to be related to being somewhat dehydrated.

That's so true! Try drinking at least two quarts a day. Dr. Don Colbert (physician and author) recommends at least that much.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I would live with a headache if I were only eating 1200 calories. Maybe that is too few calories for you. Also, water.....drink tons of it!
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    small fuji apples, 75 calories
    Beef Jerky 1 oz - 70 calories Trader Joes
    Turkey Jerky 1 oz - 60 calories Trader Joes
    Oat Fit oatmeal - 1 serving 100 calories
    salad, lots of salad, 1 tbls dressing - better with low fat
    fiber one brownie bars - 100 calories
    frozen blueberries with 1 tsp honey or maple syrup and 4 - 6 ounces plain yogurt - 140 calories
    popcorn homemade 1 oz weighed - 55 calories (put it in a bowl on top of the food scale)
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    also, caffeine!! if you just went cold turkey on coffee, pop/soda, etc you could be having 'withdraws'. Water, water, water :) Good luck!!
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    also, caffeine!! if you just went cold turkey on coffee, pop/soda, etc you could be having 'withdraws'. Water, water, water :) Good luck!!

I disagree with caffeine being the culprit... that's what's in Excedrin to alleviate them.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options

I disagree with caffeine being the culprit... that's what's in Excedrin to alleviate them.

I would have to say its the only reason I ever get a headache...we are all different i guess. If I have a weekend where I drink a ton of coffee and then the following week I don't drink any caffeinated beverages, I have a mild headache for about 3 days. The caffeine used in medication is to help speed it up to bring on relief faster (because its a stimulant). Also remember because caffeine is a stimulant and if you are used to it daily in your system it can cause withdraw symptoms when you don't get your 'fix' lol
  • Rideau
    Rideau Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I always get severe headaches when I have started a new way of eating, although most of them were the very expensive, lose weight quickly plans. I did get a mild headache for the first few days of MFP but then started drinking a lot more water than I ever had and they went away. I have always "migrained" a lot but since starting this way of eating and drinking a lot more water my migraines have greatly reduced plus I have lost almost 40 lbs. Good luck to you and I hope your head feels better soon!
  • Nictor
    Nictor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I noticed I was getting severe headaches anytime I started a diet that really restricted my salt intake. They usually went away when I added a small amount back into my diet. Also, you may want to check your calories. MFP suggested I eat only 1200 calories and another program said 1800. So I found a BMR calculator and used the calories I got from that. (1600) Using the BMR calories, I lost 3.5 pounds my first week. Just something to think about.