I am New to the site and my journey is going to be long

Options
Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself to all you wonderful people on this website, I am so glad that I found this place because now I can easily track my food and exercise, This is Awesome. (this is my Third day)
I have been on this Journey since 1/2011 and my start weight was 294, I am now 243 and joining you guys here :) I have an End Goal wieght of 129, but I am wondering if this is a big stretch..Hmm should I make smaller goal and work my way to the Final Goal?
Well Hope to read you around:smile::drinker: Drink your water and make great food Choices!!!

10874003.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• Iwillshyne
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to friend me - I have a ways to go as well. I'm very supportive, as are my other friends. Some of them have accomplished so much! Good luck on the journey!
  • Ashley121205
    Ashley121205 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Welcome :) Feel free to add me ! I've currently lost 30.8 and for my ultimate goal I have to lose about another 30
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    welcome!
  • packerfan1
    packerfan1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far! That's impressive. This is a really useful site and you can see every day the huge variation in weight loss. I like that even when I feel frustrated at keeping within my net calories, exercising, etc., and am not losing, I can see people who are having similar experiences and know I'm not alone. Slow and steady wins the race, right? (Unless it's a sprint, of course.)
  • scooterboy2003
    Options
    smaller goals that are reachable are great motivators. So are LOTS of people I have met on this site. They have been a tremendous to me and NEVER a negative or demeaning comment. You go after it at your own pace and people will encourage you.:happy:
  • macyshopper
    Options
    Welcome - take it one day at a time and enjoy the journey! The biggest revelation for me is that when I have my not so good days - its not earth shattering and do better next time. My weight hasn't dropped of as quickly as I would have liked, but it's better than the scale going up!
  • DanielleHodgins
    DanielleHodgins Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! Congrats on your commitment to getting healthy. It is a long journey for all of us - in fact never ending! We keep working on it every day! A final goal is great to have, but you Definitely want to set smaller goals, with smaller time frames to keep you motivated and going strong. You can do it!!!
  • krystico
    Options
    Welcome! Friend me! I've been on the site for a few months - it's great! 13 pounds down and another 50ish to go!!! I need to get serious! Looking to give/get all the support I can!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!
  • Tjkramer95
    Options
    Welcome! No goal is too big if you feel you can achieve it and you have supporters behind you!! Feel free to add me as a friend. I have a huge goal too and can use all the support I can get. I'll do the same for you!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me as a friend for support, if you'd like.

I'd recommend the smaller goals, moving to the larger. It gives a great sense of accomplishment every time you tick off a goal- wonderful motivator.

I'd also recommend 2 things - make sure you have a current photo of yourself on hand and take your measurements. Losing weight feels great, but it's nothing compared to the thrill of going down a size or two. My only regret is that I didn't take a "before" picture.
  • Kimmydoll99
    Options
    You can do it!! Make a smaller goal for now of trying to eat healthy/get exercise one day at a time. If you struggle one day, DON'T give up! There's always tomorrow to make wiser choices...in fact, another healthy choice can be made at your next snack or meal. Don't concentrate on the numbers on the scale as much as how your clothes fit and the energy you'll start feeling more and more as you strive towards fitness. This is the best thing in the world you can do for yourself--to take care of yourself!! Good luck! ;-)
  • RRAINE4
    Options
    Welcome. Its a slow process but easy to maintain. As they say "One day at a time"
  • Bluejay789
    Options
    Welcome.

I would make mini goals. I do goals of 5 pounds. And sometimes 2, 3, or 4 pounds.

Example...When I got to 184 my goal was 180.
    My new goal went to 178
    When I got to 178, my goal was 174.
    When I got to 174, my goal was 170.
    I am at 170 and now my goal is 168. I know two pound does not sound like much but I have to get below 170 and be a couple of pounds under before I can set my goal to 165.

These are goals I can actually meet and I do not feel frustrated because I did not loose 5 and 10 pounds.

Everybody has different goals and different bodies so goals are really personal and you need to set something you can meet and not fail or be tempted to give up.

By the way congratulations on your weight loss. Huge success!
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou: You can and will reach all of your health, fitness and weight loss goals. For me, I set one long term weight loss goal, and along the way have created mini-goals to reach.
  • jodie0520
    jodie0520 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community. Congrats on your success.

In answer to your question (whether rhetorical or not), I suppose that depends on your personality. If you are someone who sees the big picture and doesn't lose motivation easily, why not shoot for the overall goal. However, if you are like me and need something to keep you going, I'd definitely recommend you set smaller goals.

My overall loss goal is 35lbs, so I plan to "reward myself" after every 5lbs. I'm taking the slow and steady (and hopefully long-term) approach of losing 1lb per week, so I've only made my first goal so far (started 8/15). Every 5lbs may seem too often, but I lose motivation VERY easily, so I'm hoping that will help me stick with it for the longterm and make those lifestyle changes that I so desperately need.
    I chose small rewards like a pedicure or new purse/shoes (...cheap purse/shoes lol) and plan those out for when I reach each goal so that I know what to look forward to. (3 more pounds and I get to go ice skating with my husband.) Then I set a "big" reward for when I reach my overall goal.

That's my approach. So far its worked wonders for me. I have friends who are pushing through for their overall goal with no problem and some who are also setting small goals, so reflect on it and decide which is best for your personality.

Hopefully that helps. Again, welcome to the community and good luck on your journey!!!! :smile:
  • angiemb87
    angiemb87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Add me as a friend if you'd like to! I know how you feel, I was at a SW of 322 and got down to 300 when I joined. Stopped using the site for awhile because I fell off the wagon, but now I'm back on and looking for friends and motivation. So welcome, good luck, and congratulations on your work so far hun!!
  • nikkizmom1962
    nikkizmom1962 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck with your journey you have come to the right site for all the help and support you will need..........please feel free to add me:)