Beating fatigue

Options
Well a little backstory on me if it helps at all: I have crohn's disease and I'm getting part of my intestines removed soon because it's so diseased... I've also been on steroids for almost a year now and will hopefully be off after surgery...

So, because of my autoimmune disease, I feel like I don't absorb nutrients very well.. is there any science-backed avenues I can explore to try to get some freaking energy in my life? I've always heard vitamins don't do very much and does a lot of water even help? It's really hard sifting through all this woo on the Internet when I want real results and I want to feel better and have more energy :(

Replies

• tushitatravellogue
    Options
    My best wishes to you ..

I cannot speak specifically w.r.to you health issue however barley water is something that helps in giving energy for a weak tummy.

At my house when someone is unwell because of stomach issues, and unable to eat(pukes anything that is eaten) we are given barley water....
    It gives energy and it's very easy on the stomach ..
    You just have to boil the barley(whole grain) and you can drink this water with a pinch of salt for taste...This is one of my grandmother reciepes..
    The key is to only drink the water you shouldn't consume the barley ..

If it makes sense you can give it a try ..
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,621 Member
    Options
    Vitamins will only help if your body is deficient in that vitamin - it's worth having yourself checked for low levels of things like Vitamin D and iron, as these often cause lethargy when you're deficient.
    I take a daily multivitamin and I feel the difference when I stop taking it - which tells me I must not get enough of something in it through my diet alone, though I also highly doubt that I would be deficient in all the vitamins it contains. Likewise, my husband recently started taking a multi that's supposed to boost your immune system, and he noticed a considerable increase in his energy. He convinced me to give it a go because he felt so good, so I did - but for me, it made no difference. We figure that I must be getting enough of whatever the magic ingredient is for him already!
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Adderall is used off-label for MS fatigue. I have seen it work well. But I agree that this is a conversation for your doctor.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    My advice ask this question to your doctor. They know your medical history better than anyone.

I hope you get your answers, and so much good luck when you have your surgery.

oh definitely! I'm just seeing if there's anything OTC that may help me at all for while I wait for this surgery and stuff. so hard to get anything accomplished :(
  • mireyajazmin77
    mireyajazmin77 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sending you lots of healing vibes ✨ I sympathize with you, I may possibly have Crohn’s as well. I haven’t been diagnosed yet, but I am going through the process of various tests and doctor’s appmts. Would love to connect if you’re looking for a friend!
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Working out gives me energy. It’s one of those double edge swords though. If I don’t have energy I don’t want to work out. But if I need energy I need to work out. Not sure if this is practical for you or not.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I would second the suggestion of making sure that you vitamin D and iron levels are where they should be. I also agree on the exercise paradox. Someone posted on another thread that they used to do 3x10 minutes. Might that be feasible? I've seen good 5-minute workouts too.