Foods you’ve recently found that help you diet?

Options
Here are some recent foods that I found (new to me) that help with dieting and of course some that everyone know:

- All of the riced cauliflower bags from Green giant.

- Cauliflower fried rice from Trader Joe’s.

- Healthy Choice “simply” Chicken Alfredo and Chicken Stirfry, both low cal and filling for me

- Trader Joe’s Tzatziki sauce
- Trader Joe’s low cal guacamole (made with greek yogurt)

- all of the quest protein bars and quest chips with guac above

- tru grill chicken bags from target. Just super easy and quick portion controlled titles chicken.

Some other staples that have been helping:

Sugar free yogurt and puddings
Blueberries
Salsa

Have any recent finds? They don’t have to be new just new to you that you find helpful for an ongoing deficit?

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I've been buying Stoneyfield nonfat yogurt, and at 70 cal. a serving with a dash of sugar free syrup, it's a great treat. I happily eat it instead of indulging in ice cream.
    Spinach/mushrooms/onions/peppers stir-fried and then added on top of a veggie burger or made into an omelet save me some days.
    Gum and coffee are leaned on when all I want to do is eat, eat, eat. :blush:
  • julie3461
    julie3461 Posts: 65 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    - Mukimamme (shelled edammame). I found this about a year ago. It is high fiber & high protein! *super filling
    - Beans in general (Chickpeas, black eyed peas, black, and pinto). I have recently (within the last 5 months) been trying to focus on consuming mainly plant based proteins for x# of days a week. I've been feeling more full and have seen an improvement in my weight loss process. They are also easy to prepare in advance. *super filling
    - Chili and other soups: I basically only change the seasoning in them but it keeps it new with relativly consistent ingredients. Easy purchasing and prepping makes dieting easier.
    - Vega protein powder; 10 x better than Garden of Life. It curbs my cravings for sweets. I like the Garden of Life brand, but it just isn't sweet enough for me to use in smoothies
    - Cauliflower oats. this was all over Instagram, and it is good, easy and filling. 40 grams of oats, 100 grams cauliflower, 100-170 grams of egg whites, toppings of your choice (PB, coffee, fruit, flax, etc). Stove top is the best*super filling
    - Protein yogurt (mix 1 5oz of greek yogurt, 1/2-1 scoop of protein powder - I use Garden of Life here, 1 t metamusil or pudding powder. top with a little sea salt, syrup, instant coffee, fruit, nuts, or nothing, etc *super filling
    - Homeade refried beans and masa flour tortillas is a new go-to too (I've had this flour for a while and was looking for a way to use it)
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Having flavored water enhancers help me with my sweet tooth but I don't need to eat, only drink the stuff. I stay more hydrated, too. In a perfect world I'd only be drinking water, but they give me a middle ground.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Heavy cream. Not even joking - no more sugar in coffee, and two cups for breakfast keep me full until mid-afternoon.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    Salsa! It sounds weird but I started using it as salad dressing then began dipping vegetables into it for a snack. I recently changed my diet to a combination of paleo/anti-inflammatory and now I'm going through a ton of salsa every day since I can't use most dressings and condiments.

Apples- love fall when all the different special flavors come out!

Bananas and grapes frozen
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Home made, air popped pop corn, with salt, pepper and chili powder. It has low calorific density and high fiber, so is very filling.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Birchbenders. I've been making all kinds of things with their products. Bread, pancakes, omelettes, crepes, cakes in a cup, cookies. There's so many blends but here's three of them.

69337851_2389281777788005_2592109429964931072_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=Zzp1kn0XefUAX_3HWQM&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&tp=6&oh=b2559a28789103a3bce346fc36251d97&oe=5F85B30E

• emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    PB2 or PBFit powdered peanutbutter
    Imitation crab meat
    Cottage cheese with honey
    Whipped butter
    Turkey bacon
    Egg whites
    Bagel thins
    Everything bagel seasoning
    Pumpkin spice ready whip
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Prepackaged Rice Krispies treats. Because they're 100 calories, and prepackaged so I can't eat more than I mean to, and they are sweet but require chewing and I can't eat them too fast, so that works better for me. They feel like I'm giving myself a treat, so psychologically I'm rewarded for staying within the calorie budget.
  • jessiemeckle
    jessiemeckle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Carb Balance tortillas. The medium-sized ones are only 70 calories! I have made pizzas, wraps, burritos, quesadillas and homemade chips with them. Egg whites mixed with my scrambled eggs has saved me calories too, and I can barely tell the difference. Skinny girl salad dressings and skinny girl popcorn too! Tyson grilled and ready chicken breasts in the air fryer for 15 minutes! My daughter's Chester's puffcorn has been a godsend when I want a handful of salty cheese goodness. You can have 46 pieces for 160 calories!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Salsa! It sounds weird but I started using it as salad dressing then began dipping vegetables into it for a snack. I recently changed my diet to a combination of paleo/anti-inflammatory and now I'm going through a ton of salsa every day since I can't use most dressings and condiments.

Aren't tomatoes inflammatory?
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Aren't tomatoes inflammatory?[/quote]

Not for me they're not. I guess if you're intolerant to tomatoes they might be.

OP, I make my own cauliflower rice- just grate a cauliflower or whizz it in a blender, spread it on a baking tray and then cook in the oven. I also make my own guacamole - the one I made this evening just has avocado, spring onion, tomato, red chilli, garlic and lime juice in it. A large serving was 91 cals. Stirfry is also very easy to do - dice some chicken (or pork or beef) or use prawns, stirfry in a wok for a short time until cooked through then add veg and, if required, a sauce / soy sauce / seasoning powder. Keep tossing until the veg are cooked. I tend to pile in the veg and often add slices of root ginger too so that I don't really need rice or noodles. I know that no / very few additives are going in to my meal plus the volume of veg fills me up for minimal calories.

Dark chocolate-coated rice cakes have been a great find. A small amount of chocolate plus the puffed rice cake to make it feel like you've had a snack to eat. 80 cals per rice cake. I've also taken to eating a (weighed) handful of almonds as a snack if I've done a lot of exercise and need to eat more calories.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Aren't tomatoes inflammatory?

Not for me they're not. I guess if you're intolerant to tomatoes they might be.

OP, I make my own cauliflower rice- just grate a cauliflower or whizz it in a blender, spread it on a baking tray and then cook in the oven. I also make my own guacamole - the one I made this evening just has avocado, spring onion, tomato, red chilli, garlic and lime juice in it. A large serving was 91 cals. Stirfry is also very easy to do - dice some chicken (or pork or beef) or use prawns, stirfry in a wok for a short time until cooked through then add veg and, if required, a sauce / soy sauce / seasoning powder. Keep tossing until the veg are cooked. I tend to pile in the veg and often add slices of root ginger too so that I don't really need rice or noodles. I know that no / very few additives are going in to my meal plus the volume of veg fills me up for minimal calories.

Dark chocolate-coated rice cakes have been a great find. A small amount of chocolate plus the puffed rice cake to make it feel like you've had a snack to eat. 80 cals per rice cake. I've also taken to eating a (weighed) handful of almonds as a snack if I've done a lot of exercise and need to eat more calories.
    [/quote]

Also you can get plain rice cakes and top with cocoa powder and stevia :)
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Not really 'new' but still perhaps useful... I bought a big bag of frozen chicken breast tenders @ Costco. Its easily resealable. Each tender tends to be around 115g frozen weight and approximately 100 calories with high protein. I season and cook in a skillet in a little olive oil, and they come out moist and flavorful. I can very easily take 1-2 out, put in the fridge to thaw to use the next day. Or more if I want to make a meal out of it for Hubs as well as myself.

Having easy food options on hand is a MUST.
  • LisaKayVine
    LisaKayVine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »

Yes! Salsa is the greatest salad dressing. I like to mix my salsa with some guacamole (it looks disgusting and brownish) but tastes amazing!!
  • lmeldrum23
    lmeldrum23 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    La Banderita Carb Counter Low Carb Tortillas! They are 45 Calories per wrap and they are a great size. I love to have 2 of these with Egg Beaters for Breakfast Burritos :)
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Recently I've been making my own protein shakes. I use this stuff in the picture, almond milk, chia seeds, ground flax seeds, cocao powder, collagen powder, monkfruit powder, and blend it up. Tastes pretty good. It's not like an ice cream shake but it fills me up with good stuff! I used to buy individual protein shakes but that got too expensive.

ultbsnz4s6bf.png