projected calories per day seems too low

Options
Hello, I just started MFP on the advice of my trainer for counting calories to reach my goal weight. When I filled out the questionaire it told me I should eat 1200 calories a day, that seems like too low a number for me? I'm wondering if anyone wlese has had a similar experience? Should I stick to the 1200 a day suggestion?

Replies

• Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you want to lose?

What is your weekly goal?
  • dianita22
    Options
    I want to lose 15 pounds by losing 2 pounds a week, I exercise 5 days a week(a blend of cardio and weight training) I know that if I didn;t work out I might be able to survive on 1200, but with 90 minute workouts it seems like starvation (granted I haven't tried it yet I just joined the site).
  • emilycroww
    Options
    In the tools menu, do your BMR calculation, that will give you a better look at how many calories you can have per day, then just alter it to where you feel comfortable!
    I hope this helps you
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are netting 1200 (so eat your exercise calories) or a portion of them! If you have a trainer your work outs are going to be intense!!!! If you are working out that much your body is going to need the fuel!!!!!!

Best of luck on your journey!
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    if you drop your weight loss per week goal to 1 lb per week, you'll be able to eat a lot more.
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Remember also that you "earn" calories by working out, so you will actually net 1200 calories, you will actually gross more calories...did I make sense?
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    You also will be eating your exercise calories back. 1200 will be just for the days that you don't exercise:)
  • regentin
    Options
    It very well might be too low. I was also trying to stick to 1200...then I had my metabolism tested and found out I should be eating 1800-2400 calories a day to lose weight. What an eye opener!!!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I know that if I didn;t work out I might be able to survive on 1200, but with 90 minute workouts it seems like starvation

The site is set up in such a way so that number is without your workout. When you exercise, you can eat back the calories you burn, which leaves you still 1200 for the day.
  • dianita22
    Options
    Thanks guys! I didn't realize I could eat my exercise calories :) That makes me feel much better
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    dianita, when you log your exercise, MFP will increase your daily calorie allowance by the calories you burned. thats what people mean with eating back your exercise calories. MFP allows for a 2 lb weight loss just from caloric intake so anything you burn off you can technically eat back. It seems the camp is very divided on this issue, some say yes, some say no. I'm somewhat in between. i sometimes do and sometimes don't. you'll see soon enough if it affects your performance. at 1200cals i would think it does. i think with the small amount of weight you want to lose you might want to lower your weekly loss to 1 lb or even 0.5 lbs so you can eat more calories and not have to worry about eating back your exercise calories.
  • klewis81
    Options
    If you only have 15 lbs to lose, setting your program up to lose 2 lbs a week isn't a sustainable plan. You will stick to it for a few days, maybe a week and then it will be too hard and you will be tempted to give up. Do as other posters have said, and change your stats to reflect a 1lb a week loss. It will probably up your calories per day by 500. I set myself up at 1 lb/week and I have 1720 calories, I work out every day, eat back half of my exercise calories and am happy as a clam. I am also losing 1 lb a week and sometimes 1.5 or 2! I also don't feel like I am starving.
  • kmelski
    Options
    Remember you're shooting for 1200 calories net, which means if you work off, say, 300 calories during a workout, you need to eat 1500 calories total for the day, assuming the workout is above and beyond your "daily activity level."

When I started MFP I said I wanted to lose 1 pound/week and it told me I'd have to eat about 1350 calories/day. That seemed too drastic to me, so I adjusted the goal to shoot for 1/2 pound/week. Now that I have better eating habits generally, 1350 doesn't seem that scary, but I'm content with the pace I'm losing weight, and if I do better than my goal on any given day, then great!