Advice Needed - Diabetes scare, Keto, Losing Weight!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    xoprescillaa

'Insulin resistance is a hallmark biochemical feature of both obesity and diabetes. It is one of the key underlying pathophysiological mechanisms of the latter and appears years before its clinical diagnosis. Its accurate and feasible diagnosis is complex and invasive. Indirect laboratory measures and indexes are imprecise and unreliable. Skin manifestations of insulin resistance offer, however, a reliable and easy way to detect insulin resistance.

Clinicians should always recall that skin conditions of insulin resistance might reflect an underlying metabolic imbalance causing the patient to be at risk or of already have diabetes. At the same time, clinicians should not only recognize them, but act by assessing the patients’ current metabolic status and, if necessary, counseling them with regard to lifestyle interventions such as healthy food, exercise, non-smoking, and weight loss.'

T2 does not suddenly show up on your doorstep. The signs are usually there long before the diagnosis, maybe even a decade or more. One out of three have it now. No need for fear. Get your blood glucose tested and take action.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    xoprescillaa

'Insulin resistance is a hallmark biochemical feature of both obesity and diabetes. It is one of the key underlying pathophysiological mechanisms of the latter and appears years before its clinical diagnosis. Its accurate and feasible diagnosis is complex and invasive. Indirect laboratory measures and indexes are imprecise and unreliable. Skin manifestations of insulin resistance offer, however, a reliable and easy way to detect insulin resistance.

Clinicians should always recall that skin conditions of insulin resistance might reflect an underlying metabolic imbalance causing the patient to be at risk or of already have diabetes. At the same time, clinicians should not only recognize them, but act by assessing the patients’ current metabolic status and, if necessary, counseling them with regard to lifestyle interventions such as healthy food, exercise, non-smoking, and weight loss.'

T2 does not suddenly show up on your doorstep. The signs are usually there long before the diagnosis, maybe even a decade or more. One out of three have it now. No need for fear. Get your blood glucose tested and take action.

Again, not necessarily anything BUT a skin tag.

Enough fear mongering about skin tags

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/67317#causes

OP the ONLY way to know if you are diabetic or pre diabetic is to get tested. It’s really that simple. 😊
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    xoprescillaa

Again, not necessarily anything BUT a skin tag.

Enough fear mongering about skin tags

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/67317#causes

OP the ONLY way to know if you are diabetic or pre diabetic is to get tested. It’s really that simple. 😊

The point is that it’s perfectly reasonable and indeed ethically required for a dermatologist (or an ophthalmologist, or a dentist) who sees symptoms typical of the onset of diabetes to refer the patient to a doctor who can do proper testing. All of these are likely to see early signs of diabetes before a GP does, especially in patients who don’t have a regular GP.

The OP said nothing about the dermatologist referring them to another doctor. THAT is what makes it unethical (also unethical if he/she really DID say anything about it being gods warning sign as how do they know what the OP believes)??? Again, unethical too to take it upon yourself to frighten someone. While skin tags COULD be a result of insulin issues, there are MANY other causes, so signaling one out with no other information?? Certainly unethical to say the least.
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi, that is a scary thing to hear for sure. I am here because I am(was) headed toward diabetes. I agree that making small, sustainable changes rather than Keto is the way to go. This is something we will have to live with forever and will Keto be sustainable forever. I know the answer for me is "no." I did see my APRN the other day, I had lost about 8 pounds since I last saw her 6 months ago. I also had signed up to take a class on preventing type 2 diabetes. My glucose was up slightly from my last visit but my A1C was good. She said she feels confident that I will prevent diabetes based on my motivation and the changes I have been making in the last 6 months. You don't need to make all the changes at once, as a previous poster said- you have time. Just start making the changes and keep moving forward. You can do this!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    my husband has skin tags and his blood sugar is always normal - my mother had skin tags galore, and her blood sugar was a little low. i'm diabetic, and i have less skin tags than either, and i'm 11 years older than my husband. my 40+ year old son is very overweight, has skin tags and perfect blood sugar.
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

exactly this!
  • BigFatBigfoot
    BigFatBigfoot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try a diet on for a week and see how you feel on it and how successful you are. If it be Keto then it's Keto.