Uneven Quads

Options
I’ve found myself in a situation I’ve never been in before. My quad muscles are uneven! My left quad is about 1/2 inch bigger than my right. My partner says he doesn’t notice, but all my siblings (3) have pointed out the bigger one without hesitation, he’s just trying to be nice...

I’m not body building to look buff per se, but do do weight training. I always lift the same for both sides and pick a weight for the weaker side. Any other tips to even out? I’m not super worried, just curious as to some things I could do. On the other hand it’s cool to see some muscles poking out. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I recommend working on unilateral movements and don't go heavier than your right quad can handle. The idea is to keep your left from compensating. Lunges (lots of variations), pistol squats, single leg extensions, etc. Also pay attention to your form. You could favor it because of tightness or a previous injury. Make sure your form is symmetrical.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Most people have a dominant side that will be stronger. Right now I'm dealing with an imbalance due to having had surgery.

I think what Iron said is a good idea. Doing stuff where your weaker side doesn't have the stronger one for compensating should help
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Have you ever injured the smaller leg? My husband tore his ACL, MCL, and meniscus in college - 15+ years later and there is still a significant size difference between the two legs (he doesn’t actively workout so I can’t say that lifting would eventually even them out or not).