PCOS and losing weight

Options
Hi, I just recently found out I may have PCOS. I have to go back in two weeks to confirm but I have a lot of the symptoms. I also found out I’m prediabetic. I understand with PCOS, my chances of developing diabetes are increased, and it’s so easy for me to gain weight. For any PCOS people out there, what are the medications you’re taking and has it been hard losing weight?

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 15 years ago and put on metformin. I've lost 150 lbs since 2017. PCOS may make it more difficult to lose weight because it affects your hormones which can affect your hunger signalling but it will not prevent you from losing weight.

If you do some searches for that topic, I think you'll find lots of threads on the subject with good information, and might find a few groups dedicated to it as well.
  • Mari_2009
    Mari_2009 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you I’m currently on medication for my blood pressure and cholesterol. I have a family history of that and diabetes. The doctor said she will give me something to help with my cycle in two weeks. I have been looking into a low carb diet.
  • Mari_2009
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! Your replies were so helpful!
  • sarahspr91
    sarahspr91 Posts: 8 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hey Mari! I have PCOS as well. From all the research/reading I've done it appears that were a couple different types of PCOS depending on underlying issue. Because of that some people are more insulin resistant than others which can lead to having a harder time with weight loss. I personally have never had an issue with losing fat and on the rare plus side of PCOS our testosterone is generally a bit higher than it should be but it does assist in building muscle! :smiley:

I don't take any medication for PCOS. I'm not insulin resistant and I don't have high blood sugar.
  • Mari_2009
    Options
    Hi Sarah! Thanks! I go back to the doctor next week and I’m so nervous. I have lost 10 pounds or so. I’ve been feeling like it’s pretty difficult losing in my opinion but I’m not sure if it’s because of the PCOS or how I’m eating. I just started to pay more attention to my serving sizes and what I’m eating.

This is all makes me nervous especially with having a family history of diabetes.
    sarahspr91 wrote: »
    Hey Mari! I have PCOS as well. From all the research/reading I've done it appears that were a couple different types of PCOS depending on underlying issue. Because of that some people are more insulin resistant than others which can lead to having a harder time with weight loss. I personally have never had an issue with losing fat and on the rare plus side of PCOS our testosterone is generally a bit higher than it should be but it does assist in building muscle! :smiley:

I don't take any medication for PCOS. I'm not insulin resistant and I don't have high blood sugar.

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    sarahspr91 wrote: »

ITs been a while since I read up on PCOS, but there being different types makes sense to me. I know that not everyone with POCS has obesity and weight issues, though most do, and that diabetes and insulin resistance aren't always present either. I did know that it was different for a lot of people which is what made it hard to pinpoint as a diagnosis.

For me personally, when I was diagnosed, I was insulin resistant, but I was also 350 lbs, too, and obesity is often also a trigger for insulin resistance. Now that I'm down to 223 lbs, I'm not sure if I'd still be considered so; my blood sugar never got out of the normal range, even back then. I suspect I'm no longer resistant just because I don't have some of the major signs I used to have, especially the darkening of the skin on my neck and other places.

I do get the hair on my chin and neck, which is irritating - if I don't keep on top of it, I swear I look like a 15 year old boy trying to grow his first beard!

I know that for some women, PCOS causes fertility problems, but not for others. I don't know if I'd have problems or not as I've never tried to get pregnant and don't engage in activity that could make it happen accidentally either, but since my cycle is normal, I might not have trouble there. My sister, however, who also has PCOS, would likely have a lot of trouble with it if she were to ever try to get pregnant.

So in other words, this is a very common diagnosis but tends to be pretty unique so what one person deals with can be very different from what another does, but getting advice from a variety of people can help because it gives you ideas on things you can try depending on how PCOS expresses itself in your own situation.

I don't have to eat low carb, which is a godsend since carbs are what satiates me the best; I'd be miserable on low carb!
  • Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Mari_2009 wrote: »
    Hi Sarah! Thanks! I go back to the doctor next week and I’m so nervous. I have lost 10 pounds or so. I’ve been feeling like it’s pretty difficult losing in my opinion but I’m not sure if it’s because of the PCOS or how I’m eating. I just started to pay more attention to my serving sizes and what I’m eating.

This is all makes me nervous especially with having a family history of diabetes.

Congrats on losing 10 lbs!!!!! That's amazing and not easy to do!!!

Good luck at the doctor. I know it's hard when you have a family history of something and you can't change your genetics. BUT you are aware and making good choices, so you are doing everything in your control to do.

• chess_on_a_journey
    Options
    I got diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago at 27. Never knew that was even something I had. No doctor ever mentioned it to me when I said anything about the occasional irregular cycles. But, by that time I was already a diabetic and didn't know. I only found out because I wasn't getting pregnant so I went to the gyno and she decided to test me. She was amazing ans actually listened to me. I currently take metformin but I am losing weight now at a little over over 1 pound a week. About 6 pounds lost so far in a span of 4 weeks. Not to difficult I just have to constantly be mindful of what I'm eating or it throws my week off from any weight loss that week.
  • dwarner1310
    dwarner1310 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Mari, I was diagnosed around 2008/2009 when I was in Middle School. I have found that it is difficult to loose weight but not impossible. I think of it as my goal might be 2 pounds a week but I'll only loose about .5 or 1 pound with watching my calories and lots of activity. I have been at a plateau for a few weeks so I am currently adjusting my physical activity and trying new types of activity. A lot of research will try and tell you that carbs are terrible and that is not completely true. Processed foods and those filled with little nutritional benefits are not great for you, but foods such as whole grains and fruit are wonderful. With any blood sugar concerns comparing your food to the glycemic index will help, as it will show you foods that take longer to break down and will not spike your blood sugar. The same is true with balancing carbs instead of having one meal that is carb heavy and another with little to no carbs. You'll find that by doing those things you'll probably be eating pretty healthy foods that when combined with exercise will help with weight loss.

I have found that those methods work the best, and as someone with a lot of food allergies I try not to cut additional food out of my diet whenever possible. So you can loose weight and keep your blood sugar down with stuff like that, at least based on my experiences.

Hopefully everything works out and you find the method that works best for you!
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also have PCOS and prediabetes..I have fertility issues and an autoimmune disease to top it off. I am also losing weight and popped in to say hi and learn from you all.

In case anyone has more experience to share it would be very nice to read.

I am currently taking myoinositol too. I've only been on it for 44 days, so I can't really tell if it has any effect... I hope it will eventually help with ovulating....

I also read that doing low and moderate intensity exercise is better for us, as opposed to high intensity (something to do with how high intensity exercise stresses the body by stimulating cortisol production).