Having a hard time on my first bulk

Options
Hey guys. I just finished my first real cut, took about 5-6 months at a very slight deficit (2100 calories) and light cardio. I got down to 12%~ body fat and was very happy with the results. My goal is now to bulk to around 15% and then cut back to where I was and repeat. That being said, I'm 3 days into bulking at a slight surplus (2500 calories) and I'm seriously struggling. In 3 days at this tiny surplus, I've put on about 6 pounds, I'm constantly full and always feeling pretty gross in general. I know bulking is supposed to be more enjoyable but I'm not having a great time with it and I really don't think a 400 calorie difference should be having this effect on my weight so quickly. Any advice on what I could be doing wrong or how to just get through it? This is my first bulk. Thanks!

Replies

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Probably just the extra carbs more stored glycogen
    Your weight will probably stabilise now and your weight will slowly increase from now
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Probably just the extra carbs more stored glycogen
    Your weight will probably stabilise now and your weight will slowly increase from now

That ^^
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I dont like to go from a deficit straight into a surplus. Do some research on reverse dieting
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options
    iglazan wrote: »
    Hey guys. I just finished my first real cut, took about 5-6 months at a very slight deficit (2100 calories) and light cardio. I got down to 12%~ body fat and was very happy with the results. My goal is now to bulk to around 15% and then cut back to where I was and repeat. That being said, I'm 3 days into bulking at a slight surplus (2500 calories) and I'm seriously struggling. In 3 days at this tiny surplus, I've put on about 6 pounds, I'm constantly full and always feeling pretty gross in general. I know bulking is supposed to be more enjoyable but I'm not having a great time with it and I really don't think a 400 calorie difference should be having this effect on my weight so quickly. Any advice on what I could be doing wrong or how to just get through it? This is my first bulk. Thanks!
    Feeling full is part of bulking. You're in surplus so that's expected. If you don't care about calories as much and don't want to feel as full, eat foods that are more calorie dense. Honestly, I ate pizza and burgers on my first bulk. Yeah I added fat, but that's with any bulk anyway. Bulking WILL NOT be a fat free process. Well maybe unless you're doing PED's at the same time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options

What about a gainer? Drinking my calories does nothing for me so therefore, it would ease my feeling of being miserable and full.
  • iglazan
    iglazan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @IronIsMyTherapy I figured since it was only a 400 calorie deficit it wouldn't matter that much but that's definitely an option to look into in the future.
  • iglazan
    Options
    @ninerbuff I'm trying to lean bulk as much as possible and sticking to clean foods as much as possible, just to make my next cut a little easier
  • iglazan
    Options
    @watts6151 I think you're right, today has been a lot easier already. I'm assuming the extra carbs also held in a lot of water weight and I feel a lot less bloated now
  • iglazan
    Options
    @BahstenB10 I personally prefer to get my macros from real foods when possible, but if I continue to struggle that's definitely a good option to look into
  • iglazan
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everyone!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff I'm trying to lean bulk as much as possible and sticking to clean foods as much as possible, just to make my next cut a little easier
    No such thing. The issue with getting too fat when you bulk is eating TOO many calories. If your surplus is slight, you won't gain that much fat regardless of the source as long as you're getting in enough protein and carbs. The "clean" foods is what is making you feel bloated. I know, I've done this when I used to compete back in the day. If you look at elite athletes that burn a lot of calories, I can PROMISE you they don't eat clean. Because if they did, they'd feel full all the time and that would affect their performance.
    Again, find some foods that are calorie dense, but not too fiberous if bloating is your issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    No such thing. The issue with getting too fat when you bulk is eating TOO many calories. If your surplus is slight, you won't gain that much fat regardless of the source as long as you're getting in enough protein and carbs. The "clean" foods is what is making you feel bloated. I know, I've done this when I used to compete back in the day. If you look at elite athletes that burn a lot of calories, I can PROMISE you they don't eat clean. Because if they did, they'd feel full all the time and that would affect their performance.
    Again, find some foods that are calorie dense, but not too fiberous if bloating is your issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ahhh yes!! This is so perfectly said and the exact reason why I can't eat "clean" during my bulks. I hate hate more than anything feeling ultra full and bloated and I feel like I ate so much (when I really didn't) and I end up undereating. Then my training suffers.