Eating 7-9g of fat prior to a workout

Hi all,

I just saw a few articles that advise against eating fat before a workout. I usually eat breakfast, which contains 7-9g an hour before working out. Anyone else do this? I will probably test NOT doing this to see if it makes a real impact.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I can eat a lot of carbs, a fair bit of protein immediately before (and during) exercise but need to limit my fat intake or I'll get an upset stomach and feel like being sick unless I keep the intensity down.
    (Your stomach's ability to process food is impaired during intense exercise as blood flow required by your stomach is diverted elsewhere.)

An hour before is quite a long time though and can't really see that small amount of fat with a good amount of time to pass through being problematic. It is very individual though - a friend of mine eats malt loaf absolutely smothered in butter during intense training rides without issue but gets an upset stomach from carb gels.
    Until you try you won't know but experiment on a sub-maximal day would be sensible!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I feel like it's kind of majoring in the minors. Now if you feel it impacts your workouts and all that, then sure cut back on the fat. Also if you are a competitor after that 1% then it could help. Otherwise keep meal timing basic, don't overcomplicate it especially if it's a breakfast you enjoy, keeps you full and fuels your day. Try it out but if you feel like you aren't making progress it's most likely not down to a bit of fat around your workouts but other more important factors.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    edited September 2020
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I feel like it's kind of majoring in the minors. Now if you feel it impacts your workouts and all that, then sure cut back on the fat. Also if you are a competitor after that 1% then it could help. Otherwise keep meal timing basic, don't overcomplicate it especially if it's a breakfast you enjoy, keeps you full and fuels your day. Try it out but if you feel like you aren't making progress it's most likely not down to a bit of fat around your workouts but other more important factors.

Wow I literally asked myself that exact question, "Am I majoring in the minors??" Thanks for your responses! @sardelsa @sijomial
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

Wow I literally asked myself that exact question, "Am I majoring in the minors??" Thanks for your responses! @sardelsa @sijomial

It's totally something I do all the time. I see someone else do something like have a post workout shake for example and here is the convo I have with myself : "Dang is that what I should be doing? Is that why my results are meh lately?" No sards your results are the way they are because you are sleeping 3-4h per night, undereating and skipping workouts. A post workout shake is not gonna do squat!!

Haha.
    Shoot I need more sleep in my life :(