Always low on fat

Options
It seems at the end of every day I'm waaaay under on fat grams, usually under on calories too. What am I supposed to do eat a stick of butter?! My diary is telling me I get 40 grams/day but I'm trying to eat healthy therefore I'm not taking in as much fat. Should we not pay as much attention to anything other than calories? I'm usually over on protein at the end of the day. I just wish there was a "sample menu" here to give me ideas of what a balanced day looks like.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of beef and pork so I don't have that problem. I regularly go over my daily fat allotment. Hell I had 40g of fat just in dinner tonight!

If you don't like those kinds of meats, try eating nuts or peanut butter? Very high in good fats and it doesn't take much.
  • texasmagz
    texasmagz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Be sure you're eating healthy fats: olive oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil, nuts, avocado. Canola oil doesn't really have a taste so I drizzle some on my veggies after they're done cooking. Also add in any oil you use when cooking.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It depends. Do you feel being under on fat is stopping you losing weight? If yes, do something about it. If not, I wouldn't worry so much. I like being over on protein, and just under on fat. At the end of the day, if you're eating healthily and losing weight, don't sweat the small stuff.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggests nuts and peanut butter too..
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Definitely get in some nuts or oil. I usually have an ounce of almonds for 14g fat, but today I have a tbsp of olive oil with the same amount.

You can look at my diary if you'd like, but this past week or so has been far from perfect. You might have to go back a bit further to find an ideal day. :blushing:
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Nuts and avocado can fill that hole quickly. Any olive oil or coconut oil used in cooking will go there as well.

I am usually under a few grams most days and don't worry about it. My calorie gap usually gets filled with protein.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Add a tablespoon of olive oil to your veggies or whatever you are cooking. Also eat an ounce of nuts a day and nut butters. All are excellent sources of healthy fats.
  • rscima
    Options
    Wow, you guys are amazing with the suggestions. I completely forgot about nuts! I love them, and peanut butter, and olive oil...heck who am I fooling? I love anything that's edible, that's what got me into this predicament in the first place! Thanks so much for the help.
  • shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't really have that problem either, of course I am still eating things in the long run I probably shouldn't but right now I am just trying to stay within my numbers. I love peanut butter when I have the available fat left, and it has quite a bit so it should do the trick. I actually try to stay as far under on that one as I can though so depending on how much under you really are I probably wouldn't worry about it. I'm always going over my protein too, drives me nuts because most of the time I don't feel like I'm over doing it, 3 to 4 oz of meat most meals, but it seems like everything has some. Even my veggies tend to throw a gram in here or there. I am always reading about how great Greek yogurt is because its fat free and so high in protein but for me that just means less chicken at dinner or less reduced fat cheese on my salad :) I try to keep all the numbers in perspective. Some days I am over on protein, others I go over on fat a little, rarely but sometimes I am over on carbs, but as long as I am under on calories (as long as I'm over the 1200 mark) I figure it all evens out over the course of a week.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    switch your low fat dairy over to full fat dairy. cook in coconut oil. :D take trail mix with you in your purse as a snack