Options
2»

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Not sure I grok why there's antagonism to the Meditteranean diet. Looks healthy and sensible. I've always wanted to give it a shot as a long term WOE, but every time I do, I end up quickly going back to my rib eyes and cheddar BLTs.

I'm not seeing antagonism to the Med diet in this thread. I'm seeing disagreement with some false claims about what people in the Med regions (a very large area) eat, plus dislike of trying to advertise on MFP.

I like the Med approach to eating, as usually understood.

It’s a little bit response to the odd tone of the post and also to the “this one diet” idea.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I’m on this diet!!!

It’s basically this....
    Fish good - Red meat bad
    Veggies good - Chips bad
    Fruits good - Bread bad
    Nuts good - Candy bad
    Olive oil good - Ranch bad

That’s it!!! Right there!!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it (do people say that still??)

Nearly. Bread is recommended, and commonly eaten with every meal. Evil white bread even!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Not sure I grok why there's antagonism to the Meditteranean diet. Looks healthy and sensible. I've always wanted to give it a shot as a long term WOE, but every time I do, I end up quickly going back to my rib eyes and cheddar BLTs.

I think it's more skepticism about the inflated claims for it or the somewhat arbitrary food groupings that don't really reflect how people actually eat in the region.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I’m on this diet!!!

It’s basically this....
    Fish good - Red meat bad
    Veggies good - Chips bad
    Fruits good - Bread bad
    Nuts good - Candy bad
    Olive oil good - Ranch bad

That’s it!!! Right there!!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it (do people say that still??)

Nearly. Bread is recommended, and commonly eaten with every meal. Evil white bread even!

Historically, though, it was fermented or sour dough. Traditional, minimally processed whole grains too. Not processed white bread. Big difference. The white bread you get now could sit on a shelf for two years and not mold. That's not bread.

The American idea of the Mediterranean Diet is what's wrong. Many think it's the spaghetti or pizza diet.

For instance, nearly all the cheeses in the Mediterranean Diet, historically at least, were goat and sheep cheese, now cow dairy and eaten in somewhat moderation. Meat was eaten in moderation just because it was expensive and rare. Fish was more ample and in higher supply.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Two year old bread, never seen it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I would say my diet is rather Mediterranean, including Northern African and Middle Eastern (plus a bit pile of Asian food). I've traveled extensively all around the Med and often stayed for weeks. Thus typical Greek food for me is not a big pile of meat served in especially tourist restaurants, but a lot more what locals eat. I just wish I had more fish, but it's just too expensive here to have regularly. Oh well...
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    The American idea of the Mediterranean Diet is what's wrong. Many think it's the spaghetti or pizza diet.

I don't think that's true at all, anymore. I can't imagine anyone I know claiming that's what eating the med diet is, but for as a joke.

I do think the "Med Diet" as usually used in the US is only somewhat like how people really eat (or historically ate) in the region and also that one cannot generalize about how people eat there since it is such a diverse region.

I would also argue that just because something is not traditionally consumed in the mediterranean doesn't mean it makes sense for an American who wants to be healthy to avoid it. I just ate half an avocado with my lunch. That would not be mediterranean, but it is the kind of food that fits with the general foods eaten on that diet.

Maybe I'm more cynical than you, but I joined a Facebook group of supposed Med Diet followers and their idea of that diet was 8 oz of veggies with 1 lb of mozzarella melted all over it, sprinkled with parmesan. I swear, like every other post. Suffice to say, I'm not in the group any longer.

People on MFP are a lot brighter than the general public, overall.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I don't think that's true at all, anymore. I can't imagine anyone I know claiming that's what eating the med diet is, but for as a joke.

I do think the "Med Diet" as usually used in the US is only somewhat like how people really eat (or historically ate) in the region and also that one cannot generalize about how people eat there since it is such a diverse region.

I would also argue that just because something is not traditionally consumed in the mediterranean doesn't mean it makes sense for an American who wants to be healthy to avoid it. I just ate half an avocado with my lunch. That would not be mediterranean, but it is the kind of food that fits with the general foods eaten on that diet.

Maybe I'm more cynical than you, but I joined a Facebook group of supposed Med Diet followers and their idea of that diet was 8 oz of veggies with 1 lb of mozzarella melted all over it, sprinkled with parmesan. I swear, like every other post. Suffice to say, I'm not in the group any longer.

People on MFP are a lot brighter than the general public, overall.

I find the people I know in real life a lot more sensible and knowledgeable than most of the stuff I've seen people report from Facebook groups in general. That I rarely go on Facebook (I occasionally wish someone happy birthday or look for new photos of their kids/pets) is likely a positive thing for me not completely spiraling about the state of the world. ;-)
  • elyttabandytta
    elyttabandytta Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi you all who agree and disagree ;) I put this post out here just to see all of your reactions :p the thing is I always tried all this diets and I always was craving low carb ,high protein so on and on but after studying the mediaterranean diet and put it in practice it makes my soul happy yes and whole wheat bread is not bad you just make sure its 100% whole wheat and no sugar of course ;)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    3xcmy3mv402z.png
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    The majority of what is eaten on the Mediterranean diet is Whole Foods including grains, vegetables, fruits, some seafood and dairy, and olives/oil and nuts. People in that region do eat pasta and bread but not in the huge portions eaten here. Alfredo sauce is not Italian. That’s an American invention. They rarely eat red meat.

When I visited Greece, I was amazed at how tasty they made their vegetables. I had never eaten Lima beans that tasty. Lol. The food was very fresh and minimally processed. At one restaurant on the island of Crete, I had a salad of “mountain greens”, lettuces that I had never seen before in my life. One of my best friends is half Greek and when I’m at her house, they eat tons of veggies. That’s how I think of it.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    The time I spent in the Mediterranean, the whole meal was what is considered a first course in America.
    Honestly, if it wasn’t for the delicious bread which they served herbed virgin olive oil on the side, my husband would have left restaurants starving and looking for a Burger King.
    It’s lighter food by most American standards.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    As for red meat verses fish, both are eaten depending on the region and avaliability but probably not in quantities that you're used to.