What do you do if you don't eat all your calories in a day?

Options
Are you allowed to carry it into the next days? Because some days I eat more, some days I eat less?

Replies

• dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I tend to do this. I often have one day a week that is likely to be a little higher. I just make sure that my total for the week as a whole is about at my goal.
  • JEly2011
    JEly2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's best to get as close to your minimum daily amount of calories as possible. I wouldn't carry them over to the next day because you're daily intake should be consistent otherwise you will throw off your body. Make sure you're eating throughout the day and if you aren't big on meals (like me) make sure you're snacking on good things like fresh fruit. Hope this helps!!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers allows you to bank exercise points for a big meal on the weekend. If it works there, it should work here too.
  • Aria_Fat_Pants
    Options
    I think it should be okay, just use the extra calories on healthy foods! :) But I usually just stick with my daily goal, regardless.
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Being consistent and throwing off your body can be a good thing ... have a read of the Zig Zag thread.

I've just started doing the zig zag because I went onto a little plateau.
  • treesyb
    treesyb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's the exercise calories that I come in under. I usually eat all of the 1200 cals I'm allowed, but if I play tennis for an hour it automatically gives me another 500 cals, but since I'm playing tennis, I'm not binge eating and I'm too tired to eat after.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    My metabolism immediately shuts down, and I put 3 pounds on.

No, seriously, I just assume that some days I'll be that much over, and move on...
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I take an entire package of oreos to bed with me. If I don't have oreos, a box of twinkies will do.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    LOL - so many jokers on tonight!

I think it is sorta natural to zig zag around, just be mindful of your goals....many of us had to re-learn to eat healthfully. I think if over the week you average out, you body and weight loss will be good.

Best of Luck :)

ps You DO need to eat those exercise calories back or you will stall out!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I track my weekly average calories in excel and pay more attention to that. I've read in a few places that the average is more important than any individual day.
  • jalmond27
    Options
    What I do is....go to bed get the best sleep I possibly can and start over the next day. Just because I am doing this diet and workout plan I'm not letting it control me and I have had good results. I have had days where after workout I am 2300 calories under. I am not going to make a habit of that but if it happens every once in a while...oh well!
  • SassyStef
    Options
    I would say carry them over per say but it is perfectly ok to calorie cycle...meaning eating more or way over one day and under another. Just keep you calories consistent on a weekly basis
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I go into starvation mode and the next day I wake up 20lbs heavier!!!
    No seriously I might be more lenient the next day. Not by a lot but I might allow myself more.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You can but I try not to because I usually overcalculate and go over so it's best just to go day-to-day.