Sunrise in Seattle (2 pics)

Options
This is pretty much what the entire West Coast looks like. Stay safe folks.

537ae64f5de1f5bb2ab50c0b8a8408af.jpg?ixlib=rails-2.1.4&auto=format&crop=faces&fit=crop&h=634&w=924

01de5ab59eb9c4f6f1e5cb5f1abbe69e.jpg?ixlib=rails-2.1.4&auto=format&crop=faces&fit=crop&h=634&w=924

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    GOES_9-11-2020.jpg?w=781&ssl=1
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I live in southern California, and things are not as bad as the northern part of the state, Oregon and Washington, but still very gloomy and with unhealthy air conditions.

One of my neighbors was evacuated from his cabin in Shaver Lake on Saturday. It seems that the firefighters were able to save that community, but who knows in what condition the area is. Devastating situation with lost of lives and property; towns totally decimated and with the pandemic brewing everywhere, not a good situation to go thru.

My heart aches for those affected by this disaster. This year 2020 has not been good or kind to the country.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    The SF Bay Area has looked a lot worse than that.

Orange skies one day. Dark as night during the day on another. Constant ash fall in either case.

Don't just need to wear masks for Covid but for the smoke and ash from the fires as well.
  • Bentforkx
    Bentforkx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For smoke particulate, you will need an N95 mask or N100 to catch most of the crap floating in the air.
    95% the former, 98% ish, the latter.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Mount Rainier is a popular hiking and climbing destination.

155928-1024x625.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I think these are the kinds of pictures the dinosaurs on the other side of the world were taking right after the asteroid hit.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    Bentforkx wrote: »
    For smoke particulate, you will need an N95 mask or N100 to catch most of the crap floating in the air. 95% the former, 98% ish, the latter.

Bought and have been wearing for 3 months already, a better than N95 equivalent respirator made by O2 Canada which is actually designed mainly for pollutant protection but also provides some viral protection as well since it uses electroststically charged filters they claim are effective in filtering particals, viruses and bacterial as small as 0.1 micron which would make it 99.99% effective in screening out harmful oarticles.

It's an expensive ($70) but very effective design using medical grade silicone to provise an airtight seal that does not compromise PPE N95 mask availability for medical workers. Easy to put on/take off, very comfortable to wear and comes w/a built in neck strap allowing you to takevoff the mask w/o the need to hold it or put it down. I highly recommend it.

See: O2Canada.com.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm in the greater Seattle area too.

My kitty is 18, but no way I'm spending $1,000 on hepa air purifiers! You're a good pet papa. :)

I'm ready for this to go away. Bring on the rain.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Today was the first time this month any of us has seen a shadow.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I'm in Illinois, 2,000 miles away from there. This morning, the sun was a bizarre reddish-orange, and our skies have a milky white haze due to the wildfires out West. Luckily for us, we are told that the smoke is high in the atmosphere and is not affecting our air quality on the ground.

I feel for you all out West...I hope the rains come soon and everyone stays safe.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    Options
    The never-gonna-end Year of Doom continues.

That storm we were supposed to get here in the Seattle area? Two minutes of sprinkles.

I'm really tired of being indoors.

/whine
  • sgt1372
    edited September 2020
    Options
    A sunny & clear blue sky and no sign of falling ash or smoke in the air for the 1st time in a month in the SF Bay Area today. :smile:
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    Rain. We woke up to rain in Portland. And only "unhealthy" air quality. I'm headed out for a short walk this afternoon. It's been 10 days of being advised to stay indoors. Hopefully the lightning that came with the storm didn't trigger any new fires... I've got a kid up in WA who is on a crew. I'm ready for this to be over. All of it. All of 2020.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Seattle's AQI is down from 260 (toxic to all living things) to 6 (clean and pure) thanks to a strong marine push. One of the few times I've ever been happy for rain.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I tried to go out of town towards Paso Robles. Air quality poor same orange sun it was scary with ash falling. I tried to hike but was stuck on small 3 mile loops and ended up coughing for hours. I was hiking Friday in Orange County 6 miles but particulate matter still bad and was coughing. Today hiked 12.5 miles Irvine and was better. Going to hike Mt Baldy Sunday on the bear canyon trail so we will see. Most of the national parks here still closed and who knows when they will reopen. There is a $5000 fine for hiking in closed areas due to fire danger. So many here have lost their homes and everything. Just hope so many who post here are ok.