Protein shakes make me sick

Hi, so it turns out every time I have a protein shake I get stomach cramps almost right away and to run to the lavatory.

Ive tried several brands and Isolate but same result.

Any solutions?

Replies

• Dootzy1 wrote: »
    Personally, it bothers me that people think they NEED to drink protein shakes.

Every single sports person does if you want to create gains. No way to get protein in that amount only from food.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    What are the main ingredients in the ones you have tried? Are you lactose intolerant? Are you intolerant to artificial sweeteners?
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Try a plant based, if you have not already. I work at Vitamin Shoppe and I have a lot of customers who can not use any whey and switched.
  • nooshi713 wrote: »
    What are the main ingredients in the ones you have tried? Are you lactose intolerant? Are you intolerant to artificial sweeteners?

I'm not intolerant to artifical sweetners for sure. Regarding lactose, I can eat cheese and yoghurt without major problem or drink milk ( although I don't drink normally milk ).
  • VegjoyP wrote: »
    Try a plant based, if you have not already. I work at Vitamin Shoppe and I have a lot of customers who can not use any whey and switched.

But it seems that it has much less protein delivery, is that correct ?
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Thats how I react to whey protein, isolate included, but I’m lactose intolerant. Does a glass of milk create similar feelings for you? If so, then try pea, hemp and rice protein.
  • Thats how I react to whey protein, isolate included, but I’m lactose intolerant. Does a glass of milk create similar feelings for you? If so, then try pea, hemp and rice protein.

A glass of milk doesn't do that to me. Weird enough. I'll try the veggie one!
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    To a lesser extent, sugar alcohols used to sweeten many protein products do that to me also. Xylitol, erythritol, sorbitol, malitol - if I see those on the label I know explosion’s guaranteed.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Cottage cheese with a tad of fresh pineapple will never lose its sparkle and allure for me.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I had a lot of issues with most protein powders that contain whey, and I'm not lactose intolerant either. However, I did find one called Fitmiss that seems to be agreeable. You might consider the plant based, as suggested above, just to rule out if the whey is your issue.
    Barring that, try making smoothies with cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, flax seeds, or oats.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited September 2020
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Not one bit. That my friend is one very big misconceptions about plant based nutrition.

I have a lot of experience with sports nutrition.
    Both as a figure competitor, Marathon runner, Personal Training and a degree in Kinesiology focusing on physiology. There are a plethora of bodybuilders, athletes and fit strong competitors who thrive on plants

Plant protein that has a matrix such as Sunwarrior earrior blend, Garden of Life Sportlant protein and True Athlete Plant Sports protein provide low carb high protein that is a " complete protein".

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    harper16 wrote: »
    Don't drink protein shakes.
    Is there a reason you feel you need to drink your protein?

For some of us, it makes sure we reach our protein goals. It's to supplement our diets.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    I would soooo much rather chew on a chicken breast than gulp a shake. It’s just so much more filling, hunger satisfying, and just plain rub-my-happy-tummy enjoyable.

I’ve got 160g of protein already today and am still under 2000 calories. Still trying to figure out where to spend the rest of them this evening.
  • luciddepths
    luciddepths Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for this post! I have the same issue. I never used to until I had kids, I might try switching brands again and try a plant based as well.

For those suggesting chicken or other foods, cool... but most protein powders are quick and pretty cheap compared to. Especially if you have multiple people in your family, using a powder is the easiest way to reach a goal.

Vegjoy thank you for plant based suggestions

Not one bit. That my friend is one very big misconceptions about plant based nutrition.

I have a lot of experience with sports nutrition.
    Both as a figure competitor, Marathon runner, Personal Training and a degree in Kinesiology focusing on physiology. There are a plethora of bodybuilders, athletes and fit strong competitors who thrive on plants

Plant protein that has a matrix such as Sunwarrior earrior blend, Garden of Life Sportlant protein and True Athlete Plant Sports protein provide low carb high protein that is a " complete protein".

• darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited September 2020
    The only protein powder that I can drink without feeling sick is Epic Protein. Only downside is that it's super expensive; I usually buy the 5 lb bags for $125.