Help, I need to lose 50 pounds by Christmas. I'm a man 42 years old, 6 foot.

Options
I lost already 26 pounds but gained 9. So I need to go down 50. I gained basically because after confinement I stopped dieting and exercising. Injuries pursue me and that drags me down continuously. I now have trocanteritis ( swollen hip ) as I did a lot of mountain bike after confinement in may so trying to fix it in the chiropractor but we will see. On top you add a really bad operated knee that prevents me from impact sports.

Regarding nutrition I lost the 26 pounds doing the keto diet, but my cholesterol sky rocketed to 300 ( lots of bacon, eggs, mayo, cheese ). I have the feeling every time I fix something I break something else ( per above ). Not sure if better to do it and lose the weight during a limited amount of time.

My problem is that as I have limited sports for my destroyed knee. So no running / jumping,etc... I can do mountain bike, swimming and gym ( but not under covid ).

Any advice, I just feel like quitting sports and assume I can't do anything physical seriously.

Big hug to everyone!

Replies

• IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a friend request
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Hey there's always something you can do. I have a knee issue recently so I've been trying all the low impact workouts on YouTube. Pilates is always great and since I've had this wonky knee my core is stronger than ever!

Don't give up. There's always something else you can try. As for the food why not just eat in moderation? I often wondered about cholesterol and the like for those who did the keto diet.

Good luck!!!
  • Noodlesprout
    Noodlesprout Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You’ve got 14 weeks. Calorie restriction. I’m 6ft 1 female and I’ve lost 3lb a week consistently for 17 weeks now. It’s doable.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Hey there's always something you can do. I have a knee issue recently so I've been trying all the low impact workouts on YouTube. Pilates is always great and since I've had this wonky knee my core is stronger than ever!

Don't give up. There's always something else you can try. As for the food why not just eat in moderation? I often wondered about cholesterol and the like for those who did the keto diet.

Good luck!!!

Good luck!!!

Good luck!!!

I can do things, simply as I do get injured regularly it frustrates me big time. I kind if think im wrongly made. But i spend 8-10 hours working in a chair, Im overweight and then I go to play golf or bike thinking I can progress fast but then my body stops me.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Options
    You’ve got 14 weeks. Calorie restriction. I’m 6ft 1 female and I’ve lost 3lb a week consistently for 17 weeks now. It’s doable.

You are right, i just bought the Goggins book to keep me motivated.
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Goggins is motivational. I'd like to follow your journey.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Options
    frida001 wrote: »
    Goggins is motivational. I'd like to follow your journey.

That’s cool, but just to manage expectations I have failed lots of times. I start hard core and then deflate. So anyway that being said it’s better to be exercising and dieting than sitting down 12 hours a day and binging on food and alcohol.

Yesterday I managed to not have dinner that at least for willpower was an exercise in itself.

Thanks for the support!

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options

Good luck!!!

Good luck!!!

Good luck!!!

I can do things, simply as I do get injured regularly it frustrates me big time. I kind if think im wrongly made. But i spend 8-10 hours working in a chair, Im overweight and then I go to play golf or bike thinking I can progress fast but then my body stops me.

As long as you keep trying that's all that matters

You could talk to a physio person maybe to figure out why you do get injured and what to do to avoid it. But honestly I totally get this; however, my issues come cause I still think I'm 16
  • Lastchancetochange
    Options

Good luck!!!

Good luck!!!

Good luck!!!

As long as you keep trying that's all that matters

You could talk to a physio person maybe to figure out why you do get injured and what to do to avoid it. But honestly I totally get this; however, my issues come cause I still think I'm 16

Hahahahaha true. You touched many of my issues. First I also think I’m still 16, second already did the physio part and the answer was because you’re overweight, sitting all day and in a bad shape.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, 50 lbs by Christmas is too much. That kind of pressure contributes to the All or Nothing approach to food. Shock and Awe.

There is no such thing as the last chance or the Finish Line. If want to find long term stability with food and weight it's time to rid yourself of dieting dogma. It's time to reconnect and start building a positive relationship with food one meal at a time. On a one day at a time basis you can pull yourself out of this tailspin with food.

Bacon, eggs, mayo and cheese. Fat, fat, fat may be where it's at until it isn't. It didn't work the first go around so it's time to flip the switch. Doing what we've always done will get us what we've always gotten. Rebound weight gain with friends.

Stick around and dig deep. Discover why you really want to change and that will give you resolve. You have to connect with the deeper reason for doing all of this or none of it will stick. Find meaning in being uncomfortable in your own skin.

Pain is the precursor to change. It's trying to tell you something.

Constant starts and stops are a huge part of dieting mind warp. Pressing the pause button, the All or Nothing buttons only builds the skill of pausing and stopping and starting over and over and over again. Stick around and dig deep because building a good relationship with food means doing completely the opposite of what did not work in the past.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    There you go! Great job. ^^^The slight deficit or even eating at the maintenance level will take you waaaaay into the future. It will take you where you want to go. You'll have a much better chance of actually getting there and staying there for the rest of your life.

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    50 lbs by Christmas is NOT a realistic goal. Setting a goal like that is just going to lead you to fail and give up. Try a reasonable approach of about 1 lb a week. If you must, you can attempt 2 lbs a week, but I find that makes me too hungry and my will power disappears quickly.

It’s not a race. Slow and steady does it. You may be causing injuries by over doing it with an all or nothing mentality. Do your injuries allow you to go for evening walks? Can you eat at your desk? (I have a desk job and in nice weather walk during my lunch and then eat my lunch while working at my desk)

Do you weigh your foods and record them accurately? You said you did keto. Keto works the same as any other diet: by eating in a deficit.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Is there a reason you need to lose 50 by Christmas? Like a major required surgery that is dangerous to perform if you're NOT 50 pounds smaller?

Losing 50 pounds in 3 months is a bit extreme unless you are 275 pounds now or more.

Perhaps fine tune your goals. To improve health & fitness. To lose weight without a deadline. If you are healthier in 3 months than you are now, and you're down only 20 pounds, would that be a bad thing?

Try setting MFP to lose 1.5 pounds per week, enter your correct activity level. Activity level is based on job, hobbies and NOT exercise. If you're sitting most of the day, use the lowest activity level. If you're on your feet and moving for your job, choose a higher level accordingly. What calorie goal do you get? If over 1800, then you're at a good start. If you see 1800 as a goal, then 1.5 pounds is possibly too much to aim for, try going back to change to 1 pound.

Then accurately and honestly log your food. If keto/low carb is not good for you: good news, keto/low carb is not required for weight loss.

Running & jumping are out, but that is also ok. Can you walk? Either with access to an indoor track or treadmill, or is it safe where you live to walk outdoors? Walking 30-45 minutes a day a few times a week would be good for heart & lung health, and even burn a few extra calories. But exercise is more about health & fitness. Calories are where it matters for weight loss. If walking is out for you right now, then look online for free walking in place videos. Leslie Sansone has quite a few.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    And I need to lose 50 lbs by yesterday! You will have to develop some patience or you are going to get very obsessed and frustrated.
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Why does it need to be by Christmas?
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you liked eating keto or low carbs watch some of Dr. Eric Westman, Dr. Jason Fung, and Dr. Ken Berry you tube videos.
    They have lots of videos and some that explain about cholesterol reading.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Generally speaking, 50 lbs by Christmas is too much. That kind of pressure contributes to the All or Nothing approach to food. Shock and Awe.

There is no such thing as the last chance or the Finish Line. If want to find long term stability with food and weight it's time to rid yourself of dieting dogma. It's time to reconnect and start building a positive relationship with food one meal at a time. On a one day at a time basis you can pull yourself out of this tailspin with food.

Bacon, eggs, mayo and cheese. Fat, fat, fat may be where it's at until it isn't. It didn't work the first go around so it's time to flip the switch. Doing what we've always done will get us what we've always gotten. Rebound weight gain with friends.

Stick around and dig deep. Discover why you really want to change and that will give you resolve. You have to connect with the deeper reason for doing all of this or none of it will stick. Find meaning in being uncomfortable in your own skin.

Pain is the precursor to change. It's trying to tell you something.

Constant starts and stops are a huge part of dieting mind warp. Pressing the pause button, the All or Nothing buttons only builds the skill of pausing and stopping and starting over and over and over again. Stick around and dig deep because building a good relationship with food means doing completely the opposite of what did not work in the past.

You are right in all you say. Keto worked but simply I checked my cholesterol and stopped because a heart attack didn't sound like a plan. My cholesterol boomed.

And you nailed me fast. I'm start & Stop, all in or all out. I need to work the resilience..

Thanks for your deep comment!
  • Lastchancetochange
    Options
    KHMcG wrote: »
    Try a more sustainable approach. I lost 40 lbs over 4 years without a special diet. I changed the amount I ate and focused on a more balanced macro.

Eat at a slight deficit and build some muscle and incorporate low impact cardio (walking, swimming, biking or interval jump rope (on wood floor or mat).

If I can do it, you can do it. For reference I'm 48 years old.
    psydvyd98q3p.jpg

That is awesome, amazing body man! I'm your first pic now. 220 lbs, should be in 175. And yes I need to stop my binge everything ( Food, drinks and even sports ). A bit more rational approach. Day after day!
  • Lastchancetochange
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    50 lbs by Christmas is NOT a realistic goal. Setting a goal like that is just going to lead you to fail and give up. Try a reasonable approach of about 1 lb a week. If you must, you can attempt 2 lbs a week, but I find that makes me too hungry and my will power disappears quickly.

It’s not a race. Slow and steady does it. You may be causing injuries by over doing it with an all or nothing mentality. Do your injuries allow you to go for evening walks? Can you eat at your desk? (I have a desk job and in nice weather walk during my lunch and then eat my lunch while working at my desk)

Do you weigh your foods and record them accurately? You said you did keto. Keto works the same as any other diet: by eating in a deficit.

Agree, normally I would lose 2 pounds per week, which will slow when I lose more weight. I just wanted to put a horizon.

Thanks for the comment that this is not a race. For me everything in life is a race. I have had some successes because of this but it's the long term that counts and is not a good approach. I can walk. Good idea on the lunch times walk.

Keto worked super but blasted my cholesterol. I need to re-start recording everything!