Help, I need to lose 50 pounds by Christmas. I'm a man 42 years old, 6 foot.

2»

Replies

• Is there a reason you need to lose 50 by Christmas? Like a major required surgery that is dangerous to perform if you're NOT 50 pounds smaller?

Losing 50 pounds in 3 months is a bit extreme unless you are 275 pounds now or more.

Perhaps fine tune your goals. To improve health & fitness. To lose weight without a deadline. If you are healthier in 3 months than you are now, and you're down only 20 pounds, would that be a bad thing?

Try setting MFP to lose 1.5 pounds per week, enter your correct activity level. Activity level is based on job, hobbies and NOT exercise. If you're sitting most of the day, use the lowest activity level. If you're on your feet and moving for your job, choose a higher level accordingly. What calorie goal do you get? If over 1800, then you're at a good start. If you see 1800 as a goal, then 1.5 pounds is possibly too much to aim for, try going back to change to 1 pound.

Then accurately and honestly log your food. If keto/low carb is not good for you: good news, keto/low carb is not required for weight loss.

Running & jumping are out, but that is also ok. Can you walk? Either with access to an indoor track or treadmill, or is it safe where you live to walk outdoors? Walking 30-45 minutes a day a few times a week would be good for heart & lung health, and even burn a few extra calories. But exercise is more about health & fitness. Calories are where it matters for weight loss. If walking is out for you right now, then look online for free walking in place videos. Leslie Sansone has quite a few.

No real reason for Christmas. Just fed up of being fat plus all the injuries on top. I can walk and have a bike and indoor bike. And have a few gym equipment in my home.
  • And I need to lose 50 lbs by yesterday! You will have to develop some patience or you are going to get very obsessed and frustrated.

Wise words. Thanks. The story of my life, serial starter ALL IN, serial quitter, ALL OUT.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Whatever you do, don't disappear on us. Elvis may have left the building but stick around. If we had a dollar for every person who started only 10 days ago and they've already flown over the chicken coop. Oy vey.

Delicate health conditions can be so very hard but your body is trying to tell you something. Your body wants you to learn how to moderate yourself with food. It won't trigger a bunch of binge eating or entertaining yourself with playfoods and eating it all back. It's going to take a lorra lorra time and hard work. Gutting it out. Day by day and month by month.

You want it. I see kids and I see desire.

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't disappear on us. Elvis may have left the building but stick around. If we had a dollar for every person who started only 10 days ago and they've already flown over the chicken coop. Oy vey.

Delicate health conditions can be so very hard but your body is trying to tell you something. Your body wants you to learn how to moderate yourself with food. It won't trigger a bunch of binge eating or entertaining yourself with playfoods and eating it all back. It's going to take a lorra lorra time and hard work. Gutting it out. Day by day and month by month.

You want it. I see kids and I see desire.

^^ what she said

Join a group. I bekon6to Midlife Crisis Fitness. It's a men's middle-aged fitness group.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    I have bad degenerative disc disease, so I basically can't exercise. All high impact cardio is completely off the table. The elliptical, old people Zumba, swimming, etc. has proven to be too aggravating. Resistance training like pilates or with light free weights hasn't gone well either, and I'm not going to the gym for the machines right now because of Covid. I can walk 10,000 steps per day, but not every day - maybe 3-4 times a week at most, with the other days being 6000 steps or less. But weight loss is in the kitchen, so I can still lose weight! I'm currently losing 1 to 1.5 lbs per week despite not exercising. It's a lot harder - I used to just run a few miles if I wanted a big dinner or some wine. Now I plan out my meals ahead of time, pre-log everything, and stick to the daily plan. I'm not on any special diet, but I do try to aim for 30-40g of protein per meal, eat a lot of veggies, hit a fiber target, and get some MUFAs in.

I agree that 50 lbs by Christmas is very aggressive and not a good way to set yourself up for success. I've found that small, specific goals are much more sustaining than giant, long-term goals (that we often push off until right before our deadline, then panic about how we won't meet our goals). Try picking two or three things like:
    -I'm going to walk 3 miles every day this week
    -I'm not going to exceed my (reasonable) calorie goal this week
    -I'm going to drink at least 64 ounces of water every day this week
    -I will not drink alcohol this week
    -I'm going to write down how I'm feeling every day for the next two weeks so I know what's working for me and what isn't

Weight loss is not always linear and can be masked by fluctuations, so making your goals around the habits that help you lose weight instead of the weight loss itself can keep you on track. Doing two or three small goals at a time until those habits are established will help you achieve long-term success.