I logged a bad day.

Options
Today was a bad day. I was about 1800 calories over. The scary part this was how I used to eat all the time before I started Myfitnesspal. I can see why I am the weight I am. I am not the brightest when it comes to food. I just buy and then stuff my face. I lost 2.8kg this week and then I go and do this. At least I can see what it is doing to me and shows me why I am the weight I am. I started my first night shift last night and there was a lot of junk food around, that is where it started, not to mention payday. Tomorrow will be better. I am just proud of myself for logging everything. In the past I would have been like I'll start again tomorrow and then that would be another bad day and so on. Here's to a new start.

Replies

• cugogirl2017
    cugogirl2017 Posts: 8,764 Member
    Options
    Today was a bad day. I was about 1800 calories over. The scary part this was how I used to eat all the time before I started Myfitnesspal. I can see why I am the weight I am. I am not the brightest when it comes to food. I just buy and then stuff my face. I lost 2.8kg this week and then I go and do this. At least I can see what it is doing to me and shows me why I am the weight I am. I started my first night shift last night and there was a lot of junk food around, that is where it started, not to mention payday. Tomorrow will be better. I am just proud of myself for logging everything. In the past I would have been like I'll start again tomorrow and then that would be another bad day and so on. Here's to a new start.

We've all been there in one way or another. The good news is you had the courage to log everything and that is an important step. It is hard to start a journey and be confronted with junk food on your night shift. I have found that it helps me (if possible) to bring your own snacks like carrots, or celery or cut up apples or peppers or things that take a bit of time to eat. It is a healthier snack and it may help. Grapes are also good and easy to pack. I have tried to learn to be kind to myself, and move on. Try not to beat yourself up. I try to remember the experience of how I felt after I really overeat (I feel disappointed like I know better, why did I do that? etc) and I use it to learn but not get too down on myself and move on to a new day where I can strive to make better choices. This is what helps me. We are human and on a journey and some days the journey is hard and some days it is easier. I want to wish you good luck. I bet tomorrow will be a much better day. Keep tracking your food, it does help. Also, you already lost 2.8 kg this week! Try to focus on that success, that is really great. Keep going, you've got this, you already did so well to accomplish that in a week! Good luck.
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options

We've all been there in one way or another. The good news is you had the courage to log everything and that is an important step. It is hard to start a journey and be confronted with junk food on your night shift. I have found that it helps me (if possible) to bring your own snacks like carrots, or celery or cut up apples or peppers or things that take a bit of time to eat. It is a healthier snack and it may help. Grapes are also good and easy to pack. I have tried to learn to be kind to myself, and move on. Try not to beat yourself up. I try to remember the experience of how I felt after I really overeat (I feel disappointed like I know better, why did I do that? etc) and I use it to learn but not get too down on myself and move on to a new day where I can strive to make better choices. This is what helps me. We are human and on a journey and some days the journey is hard and some days it is easier. I want to wish you good luck. I bet tomorrow will be a much better day. Keep tracking your food, it does help. Also, you already lost 2.8 kg this week! Try to focus on that success, that is really great. Keep going, you've got this, you already did so well to accomplish that in a week! Good luck.

Couldn't say it any better myself. Well done for logging it Claire. Own it and start again. It doesn't matter how many times you fall of track. What matters is that you get back on.
  • BearCountryHermit
    Options
    Your post was super timely for me, I went way overboard yesterday, and I had already decided not to log it, but to just move on. But just now, I went back in and logged everything - when I hit that complete entry button, that was the reality check, it said I'd gain over 10 lbs if I continued to eat like that. So now we're done, it's in the books, it's past. I was listening to a podcast the other day, they were saying that instead of asking 'why' questions ('why' did this happen, etc), productive and self-aware people tend to ask 'what' questions ('what' happened? what do I need to do to keep that from happening again, etc), because 'why' elicits an emotional response, but 'what' gets our problem solving in gear without making us feel guilty.
    So thank you for your post, you made me be honest with myself.
    How are your food choices for today going? Workplace munchies are so hard to resist!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,523 Member
    Options
    This may seem counterintuitive, but that’s well over 6 pounds, which is an extremely high rate of loss for one week.

I would challenge you to realistically look at your plan and consider are you undereating?

Is this a plan you can stick with for a lifetime?

That said, we all have off days. Dust yourself off and move on is the best plan of all!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Congrats. Logging over your number is important. But we’re doing a process. The process calls for logging. Not just logging the days we hit our number. The process is more important that the numbers.

I became the office germaphobe one day after taking time to watch the people in my office around the Friday donuts. Who knows what they do when they think no one is around.
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on logging the bad. I have finally started doing that as well. It definitely makes me aware of what I am eating when I own it. Before I was of the mindset that "it didn't count if nobody knew." Kind of a ridiculous mindset which is how I ended up in this position. Own it and move on.
  • HeathieM
    HeathieM Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I too have been logging all of my high calorie days. I tend to overeat on the weekends and after a month of logging everything, everything i saw that I still had enough good days to be in a deficit and lose 3 pounds. It really is about what happens over time. The high calorie days and high weigh ins can be balanced out by days hitting goal and are by no means the end of the road. Weight loss isn't a smooth ride, I've discovered, and I'm trying to be honest about the bumps and do what I can to minimize the damage by having more days i hit goal or stay in the green than days i go over.