Miss_Missy_Bee Posts: 28 Member
Do you intermittent fast (IF)?

What works for you and what doesn’t?

:#

Replies

• JesseRamirezIII
    JesseRamirezIII Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do 16/8, sometimes 18/6 by accident. Weekly meal prepping and keeping a daily routine is important in my success with IF. I find that unplanned events screw up my motivation, and it all goes down the drain for the day or until I can get back my normal routine. A cheat day for me is a must, and if I go over board more than planned, a 36 hour fast gets me back on track. Calorie counting and regular exercise go hand in hand with my IF as well.
  • ButterIsGood
    ButterIsGood Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing it for like a week and it's been very helpful for me. Keeps me from over eating. I fast 8pm to around 12 noon the next day.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,667 Member
    Options
    I do from 7pm till 12pm the next day. I dont think it does anything special aside from keeping me in a caloric deficit.
  • jiujitsudad15118
    jiujitsudad15118 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I do 18:6
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I do whatever I do on any particular day. Some days that is 7pm to 12pm; sometimes it is 9pm to 9am. It all depends
  • Miss_Missy_Bee
    Options
    This is great to know!

I’ve been practicing IF for about 3 months now. I’m on the Warrior schedule 20:4 otherwise known as OMAD.

Any good groups? I’ll probably be sending you all some friend requests as IF is a different approach and I still struggle with caloric density from time to to time vs. calorie restriction. Know what I’m saying?
  • AnitaR1983
    AnitaR1983 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have done IF for years not knowing it was that lol. More recently I learned what it is and mostly do like 36 hrs. Like someone above I might find myself doing more or less other times. Just ended 36 hrs earlier today.
  • Miss_Missy_Bee
    Options
    I’ve recently face a new challenge! I started a weight training program and my trainer doesn’t want me to workout while in a fasted state. He insists I break my fast prior to working out and then eat a recovery meal high in protein. He also discourages LCHF food choices.

I’m struggling with this concept because everything I’ve learned about IF and worked hard at practicing is that calories from fat, carbohydrates, and protein are all metabolized differently. To over simplify the theory that we should be counting calories is incorrect. We need to focus more on how the body metabolizes macronutrients.

Truth be told when I did widen my eating window and go back to two meals a day I felt a bit sluggish and for the last two weeks I’ve plateaued. I’m perfectly fine with plateauing, yet, curious as to why this is happening? Is in the weight training? The two meals a day? Probably a combination!?!

Ultimately I’ve decided to break my fast with something small vs. an actual meal prior to my workout and then my recovery meal. This seems to suit me. Let’s see if this breaks my plateau.

I might also buy a copy of Dr. Fung’s IF book and give it to my my trainer 😏

Thoughts?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Are you paying this trainer for his advice. I think you should do what he advises and the heavy-lifters here can tell you why. Your trainer might fling the fung book, flung fung right out the window. It would go over like a lead balloon.
  • Marquis_Marq
    Marquis_Marq Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Only when I'm broke
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    I’ve recently face a new challenge! I started a weight training program and my trainer doesn’t want me to workout while in a fasted state. He insists I break my fast prior to working out and then eat a recovery meal high in protein. He also discourages LCHF food choices.

I’m struggling with this concept because everything I’ve learned about IF and worked hard at practicing is that calories from fat, carbohydrates, and protein are all metabolized differently. To over simplify the theory that we should be counting calories is incorrect. We need to focus more on how the body metabolizes macronutrients.

Truth be told when I did widen my eating window and go back to two meals a day I felt a bit sluggish and for the last two weeks I’ve plateaued. I’m perfectly fine with plateauing, yet, curious as to why this is happening? Is in the weight training? The two meals a day? Probably a combination!?!

Ultimately I’ve decided to break my fast with something small vs. an actual meal prior to my workout and then my recovery meal. This seems to suit me. Let’s see if this breaks my plateau.

I might also buy a copy of Dr. Fung’s IF book and give it to my my trainer 😏

Thoughts?

I am dying that you are considering buying your trainer a copy of the book. Would you go to a Dr and say that you know more about medicine than your Dr does? Its a little insulting.

I think it will be hard to find a trainer that practices IF during a weight training program. They pretty much contradict each other. It's not that IF is wrong; it seems to work well for some people who are interested in nothing more than losing or maintaining weight. However, it does not fuel a body for lifting very well. It's just a different nutrition plan for a different type of workout.
  • Miss_Missy_Bee
    Options
    Ok fair enough. I love the passion. Yes I’m paying my trainer. He’s doing a great job, I put this face “😂” after my comment because I was actually kidding. I wouldn’t actually do something like that Again, I love the passion. Thank you.

I’m communicating with him and letting him know how and when I break my fast. Next week when I test and weigh in with him he can tell me if I’m burning muscle vs. fat.

Proof is in the pudding as the say 😉 Right?