Quarantine Weight Gain

Options
Hello. I have been on and off MFP. I have gained 20 pounds since the quarantine and I am REALLY struggling. I have been working from home since March and I find myself snacking all the time even if I am not hungry. How do you stop snacking out of boredom? I know diet pills are not good but does anyone know of any that help curb hunger?

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you must snack and can’t control it, buy some carrot sticks and snack to your hearts content.

Diet pills are not healthy or even going to work since you said you snack even though you aren’t hungry....
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    If the snacking is done out of habit and not hunger then focus on changing the habit. I agree with what @nanastaci2020 posted above.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've been working from home since March and I just set the policy that the kitchen is closed unless it's part of my planned meals for the day. I just had to take a hard line with myself, otherwise I knew I'd be in and out of the kitchen all day.

If you're snacking out of boredom, no pill is going to fix that. You've got to just make the decision not to do it.

I'll take a walk after lunch to signal that eating is over. I have a cup of tea or coffee mid-morning and mid-afternoon to help with that feeling of wanting a typical "break."
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Have your manager give you some additional, interesting assignments, keep snacking foods out of the house
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    If you must snack and can’t control it, buy some carrot sticks and snack to your hearts content.

Diet pills are not healthy or even going to work since you said you snack even though you aren’t hungry....

Yum! Celery too!
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Have your manager give you some additional, interesting assignments - Yes

keep snacking foods out of the house - No

Nothing wrong with keeping snacks in the house as you may not be the only person in the house.
    Even if you are there is nothing wrong with snack food.
    Instead try portioning off what you eat

i.e - instead of grabbing the whole bag of chips - portion some off in a bowl

Side note: I chew gum when I'm at work when I know I'm just snacking and not really hungry
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    BahstenB10 wrote: »

Yum! Celery too!

and apples or grapes or raisins or peaches or tomatos or kiwi !! :)
  • BahstenB10
    Options

Yum! Celery too!

and apples or grapes or raisins or peaches or tomatos or kiwi !! :)

Love love love kiwi.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I've been working from home since March and I just set the policy that the kitchen is closed unless it's part of my planned meals for the day. I just had to take a hard line with myself, otherwise I knew I'd be in and out of the kitchen all day.

If you're snacking out of boredom, no pill is going to fix that. You've got to just make the decision not to do it.

I'll take a walk after lunch to signal that eating is over. I have a cup of tea or coffee mid-morning and mid-afternoon to help with that feeling of wanting a typical "break."

^ I agree with this. For the foreseeable future, my new office is a small nook that is basically part of my kitchen. Unless I lay some ground rules about when the kitchen is open/closed, I'm basically working in the middle of snack central. I admit, I am drinking more coffee these days, but having recognized that, I have decaf beans on my list, and will work in some tea as an alternative. I'm taking the container of gum out of my car and putting it on my desk too. I can't chew gum all day, but if I'm just wanting to chew on something, that will be my go-to.

BTW, I'm up 10 pounds and frustrated as well. The only reason is that I've not adapted to my gym/pool closing and continued to put in the work in some other way. :(
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I chew gum when I feel unnecessarily snacky. Some days I go through a LOT of gum, other days I don’t touch it. Just finished a bowl of cereal at 3:30 in the afternoon because I knew I was legit hungry and blood sugar was getting too low. Not a time to try and push through with gum. BUT, I let myself get overly hungry/low so now I feel the urge to just keep eating and eating so now I will grab some gum and busy myself until supper time since I know I don’t NEED anymore food now.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    keeping snacks out of house is also good, i can't happen to get chips or nuts safe. It will be eaten regardless of my willpower. Just buy em only when you plan to eat it. My popcorn seeds are safe casue they need preparations and it is a hassle . It can be step by step - buy small quantity to test willpower. SOme people disagree with me - i get it but you are telling people to swim lake not to the swim near shore.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    The above advice is great here but I would also focus on making your main meals bigger/more satisfying so then you’re TOO full to even snack! If you can’t portion control snacks- then don’t even bother and focus on 2-3 meals a day. Let’s say you’re eating 1600 calories a day, that would be 2x500 calorie meals and one 600 calorie meal. Play around with this and see how you feel. Also before you reach for a snack, do 5 squats. It will break your train of thought and it will help you to make less impulsive decisions.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It's a psychology thing for me. I can never just control my calories. However, if I exercise, then I'm interested in doing the work on my diet. Maybe its a "don't want to waste the effort I'm putting in by eating too much" thing. Anyway, I started walking early on, just to avoid cabin fever. That got the ball rolling and I'm down almost 30 lbs.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Yum! Celery too!

I love celery too. It's really good dipped in.....BBQ sauce. And carrots are really good in yellow mustard. Been having some weird cravings lately, but they are both delicious like that! 😁
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I think most of us working from home put on some Covid pounds. I kept to my work routine, but found myself baking weekly and drinking a lot more than normal. Ten pounds later, I am NOT baking and not drinking...as much. I find sparkling water and tea help me stave off hunger until it's meal time. Walking daily helps too. It was super difficult when the air was smoky from the fires because I couldn't get out and walk.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    lots of good advice above. The only additional idea I have is brush you teeth, use mouth wash, etc. Nothing tastes good after a good gargle of lysterine.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Covid curves here too. What I have done is

A) ‘tell’ hubby enough is enough - we both have to eat/drink more sensibly from 1 Sept

B) bought low calorie, rather dull (rich tea) biscuits for any afternoon snack - tho I often do fruit instead - so I don’t want to demolish the pack. Any other biscuits are either bourbons (hate) or weekend/pudding allowance only

C) set strict calorie limits for each meal plus 100 cal afternoon snack - I get a ‘star’ for each successful meal (!) in my notebook. Stop eating when full...rather than finishing the plate.

D). Set daily exercise goals (steps/time walking fast/how many hills) - again a star for each success.

E) have a clear picture of which days are in the end lose/maintain/gain - and focus on the positives. Try to keep the maintenance day(s) to the weekend.

Going really well so far happily! Good luck in working out what works for you.
  • BahstenB10
    Options

Yum! Celery too!

I love celery too. It's really good dipped in.....BBQ sauce. And carrots are really good in yellow mustard. Been having some weird cravings lately, but they are both delicious like that! 😁
    BBQ sauce sounds delicious but you lost me at carrots with mustard. Mustard is my nemesis which is sad because it is one of the healthier condiments.

Carrots with peanut butter? Yum!
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Covid curves here too. What I have done is

A) ‘tell’ hubby enough is enough - we both have to eat/drink more sensibly from 1 Sept

B) bought low calorie, rather dull (rich tea) biscuits for any afternoon snack - tho I often do fruit instead - so I don’t want to demolish the pack. Any other biscuits are either bourbons (hate) or weekend/pudding allowance only

C) set strict calorie limits for each meal plus 100 cal afternoon snack - I get a ‘star’ for each successful meal (!) in my notebook. Stop eating when full...rather than finishing the plate.

D). Set daily exercise goals (steps/time walking fast/how many hills) - again a star for each success.

E) have a clear picture of which days are in the end lose/maintain/gain - and focus on the positives. Try to keep the maintenance day(s) to the weekend.

Going really well so far happily! Good luck in working out what works for you.

"Covid curves," I like that, it sounds better than Covid pounds. Good attitude!