4'10...almost

Options
Hi!
So I've seen a few blogs about this but here's my story. I'm 4foot 9 and3/4inches. Yup I'm very short. I'm 31 and female.
I have managed over the last few years to lose almost 45lbs. At my heaviest I was 152lbs. I managed to get myself down to 107lbs, 25.5 inch waist. Which was great!
Then life happend and I'm back up to 115lbs. I know to most of you 8lbs sounds like nothing but on this tiny frame it's horrible! I'm not setting any particular lbs per week goal because at this point it does NOT come off easy. Hence my dilema. I eat anywhere from 1000 to 1300 cal in an average day. Yes I know it's low and you're all going to tell me it's not enough, however, as soon as I eat more than that the lbs start creeping on, furthermore I'm not dizzy, I don't feel tired or hungry eating this amount.
I do body weight HIIT workouts at least 3x a week (10 to 30 minutes sessons) asside from my body weight strength training (about 20-30 minutes daily).
I don't care so much if my weight stays at 115lbs, what I'm really trying to accomplish is to lose the 2inches of fat I gained around my waist. I'm at a complete loss. I refuse to cut any more food. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. If I eat more I start gaining fat ... I've done this several times to test it out. I was eating more when I was doing actual lifting before covid went and ruined it all. Every time i increast by 200 to 300 cals my waist starts getting bigger.
So suggestions? Ideas?
Thanks.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Can you please make your food diary public?
  • SarahBrossoit
    SarahBrossoit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Done.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Your BMR at goal weight is about 1100, assuming for an average BMR. As you know: you can't go by the calorie guidelines that 5'5" women go by. Because what is an ideal weight on your frame would be emaciated on mine.

For a lightly active daily activity level: 1400 is probably your top maintenance calorie limit.

My best suggestion: high protein, strength train to maintain muscle mass, and eat 1000-1200. And settle in for a slow, steady process.
  • nanastaci2020
    Options
    Ps-and aim for as much accuracy in your logging as possible. Food scale for all solid. Errors will cost you when you have so little to work with.
  • SarahBrossoit
    SarahBrossoit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I measure almost all the time I mostly use cups and table spoons though... should I do the actual scale? I have one I can use.
  • nanastaci2020
    Options
    I measure almost all the time I mostly use cups and table spoons though... should I do the actual scale? I have one I can use.

The scale will be more accurate. Think of it this way: the amount of solid food that goes into the cup can vary each time. But the scale will always tell you the weight. Best to weigh in grams as it is more accurate. Unless your scale gives ounces in decimals. When you have a small deficit, errors will easily wipe it out.

There is also a volume eater group somewhere. That may be worth checking out, to give you ideas for getting more food/bulk out of your calories.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I would weigh all your food. I’m also short, 5’0”, and my maintenance calories are 1450-1500 when sedentary. The smaller you get, the lower your maintenance calories typically are. Unfortunately, us shorties don’t get to eat as much. Accuracy matters. Every calorie counts.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Because sedentary maintenance is so low at the ideal weight range at our heights, it helps immensely to add (a LOT of) cardio to get that amount up. (otherwise, there is pretty much no room for treats/occasional eating out/etc). (Bonus points for sports in which your shortness/lightness gives you an advantage ;) ).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Calories are in relation to the weight of the food and cups and spoons don't measure weight they measure volume - or in the case of a spoonful of peanut butter your innate balancing ability. :smiley:

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

Weighing is far more accurate so if you really want to lose weight, yes, you need to weigh your food.
  • saltysparkle
    saltysparkle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    No great advice here, but as someone who is 5'1" and 1/4" -- and I count the 1/4 --, I hear you about extra weight on a small frame! Wishing you well!