Did you get any benefits from quitting caffeine?

Options
13»

Replies

• yxba
    yxba Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I quit caffeine once. After a month or two I got over the energy dips that going off of caffeine induced. At that point I had a consistent level of energy throughout the day and found it easier to fall asleep.
  • aoifemcmackin
    aoifemcmackin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't quit successfully yet, but I'm using the app Quit Caffeine and it said that, for some people, they don't feel any better for a few months.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I quit caffeine and noticed a dip in my workout energy. I always drink at least 1 cup of caffeine prior to my workout. If I am doing a 2 day, it is 1 cup before each workout. I find it is exactly what I need to get that last little push. SO I added it back in and the scale for me has actually moved a little faster. Anything more than 2 cups would be detrimental for me and my anxiety.
  • spr931
    spr931 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I didn't quit caffeine but significantly reduced it. I found that I'm more calm,less jittery, and less likely to get worked up over something stupid
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Nope. Caffeine works for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I used to drink coffee by the litre but then it began giving me stomach cramps and keeping me awake at night, so ten or fifteen years ago I cut out the coffee, but initially still drank black tea, or the occasional cup of coffee afer a good meal. Then I had to stop that for the same reasons. I don't drink soda, so the only source of caffeine for me now is dark chocolate, and that can keep me awake if I eat too much. So the effects for me were getting rid of the stomach cramps and sleeping better. These days I drink an awful lot of herbal tea. I also can't take any cold remedies with caffeine in them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If I stop all caffeine for two weeks before a long distance cycling event I can get a small benefit in masking fatigue if I take a big dose at about the 80 mile mark.

As a very low responder to caffeine I get no ill effects from stopping suddenly or having a large amount. Downside is I also don't get benefits of increased alertness or energy that others get. I can sleep soundly after a late double expresso but can also fall asleep behind the wheel of a car while rattling from Pro Plus tablets (I really don't miss night shifts!).
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Fewer panic attacks! But then again, I cut it out specifically to help manage anxiety. I sure miss it though...I was productive on caffeine.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I cut it out to see if it was potentially a migraine trigger for me.

I didn't find the cutting out too hard (I weaned off slowly, no noticeable withdrawal effects) but I missed my coffees!

After a few months (with no change to migraine patterns), I added a morning coffee back in. I now drink 1-2 a day, but only in the morning as otherwise, it affects my sleep (and lack of sleep is a definite trigger for me!)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I start my day every day with a cup 'o joe. Just one cup. Every once in a while I'll have a second cup for grins and giggles if I'm feeling it. No ill effects one way or the other. I used to drink a LOT of coffee (like have one or two cups at home and then get like a 16 oz coffee on the way in to work) but I knocked that off early this year when I cut back on my calories. Never had any withdrawals though.

Everything in moderation, right? Coffee, alcohol, food, etc. That seems to always work well for me. One piece of pizza, not one whole pizza. One cup of coffee, not the whole pot. One beer, not a whole 6 pack.
  • asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I often don't drink coffee on the weekends and don't suffer any negative affects from abstaining so I don't consider myself dependent. On work days I have one or two cups of go go juice depending on how well I managed to sleep. Under 6hrs and I drag thanks to my meds and caffeine gets me passed it.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I posted this in april, i've been caffeine free for all those months and I still don't see any noticeable benefits. I think I'm going to add caffeine back, everything in moderation right?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    This is going to sound weird to some (and I still drink organic coffee). I've become convinced I have a mild allergy to caffeine. I sneeze and sneeze after around 2 or so larger cups (not huge but decent sized). Every time I drank a lot of coffee, I would sneeze. I've read that could be a mild allergy to caffeine.

I've cut down, but not cut it out completely. I'm down to around 1 and a half cups or less a day. I do feel better. Less jittery and less headaches.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I cut all caffeine out last year when I started this journey. I didn't do it because caffeine is a killer but because I was drinking several cans of Mt. Dew a day and that is a LOT of calories I was wasting. I haven't noticed much difference. I do on occasion have a coffee when I have a bad headache or am super tired. The only thing I have noticed is that caffeine affects me much more now. I used to be able to sit in bed and drink a Mt. Dew and go right to sleep. No more. I actually feel the effects now and get an energy spike. It's different for everyone but that's my story.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I cut it out to help manage anxiety. The benefits I got were reduced stress when anxious, but also when I drink caffeine now I do actually feel it (positively, as long as I am not stressed). So for me, cutting it out was worth it for that afternoon cup which really perks me up :D