Yo yo dieter

Options
Hi, how do you break the cycle of a yo yo dieter?
Last year lost 3 stone, and put it all back on. Which isn't the first time... I'm again trying to lose it all. I get that's it's meant to be a lifestyle change but how do you make that chnage?

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Slowly.

Weigh foods and track. Don’t set yourself up for the 2 lbs a week unless you have A LOT of weight to lose or you’ll probably be too hungry and fall of the wagon.

Everyone is different. For me this time, I stuck with eating foods I like instead of trying to change my tastes. I can’t do this for the rest of my life if I’m trying to force myself to eat foods I hate. Down 25 lbs so far and counting.

Make small changes and then increase the changes as you go. And remember that it isn’t a diet and then done when you get to goal. I fully plan on still tracking my calories when I get to goal. If I don’t, I’ll just yo yo yet again.
  • DupreeTheTRex
    DupreeTheTRex Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I’m currently on attempt 5 of losing weight since I was 18 (now 29). I’ve always been successful in the past at losing weight fast but I would also gain the weight back just as quickly and the weight would just PILE on. To give you an idea, I’ve been able to drop 50+ lbs (3.571 stone) in a couple of months.

I’m trying something different this time around. I’ve cut out all extremes. I started by cutting out alcohol from my diet. I’m over two years sober now and I love it (saving lots of money and I’ve learned to have fun without it).

Next, I cut out energy drinks (my guilty pleasure). I was drinking 3-4 a day. This was much easier to cut out since I switched to an alternative that’s only 15 calories per serving, all natural ingredients, no added sugar and cheaper while still giving me my caffeine fix.

I cut back on eating out slowly, from 2-3 times a week to only once every couple of weeks. I won’t be cutting this out completely because I think I need to learn portion control when eating out. I think it’s impossible to avoid eating out for the rest of my life.

Finally, I started counting calories again and I set a very modest goal of 1lb per week. If I’m hungry, I eat more than my recommended calories (but still at or under maintenance). Calories in/out has always worked for me, but I’m the past I would eat way less than I am now and exercise 4-6 hours a day. I’ve even had days where I’ve earned two 12 inch subs from subway and I’ve still managed to drop 15lbs in about a month.

Now, with all of that being said, I can’t say if any of the advice I’ve given above is going to help because I’m still in the process of losing weight. But this is been the easiest weight loss journey I’ve had yet. It’s much slower than any other attempt I’ve made in the past but I have a feeling it’s going to stick this time. It also helps that my wife is counting calories with me (she’s aiming to maintain though)

• Cheery83
    Cheery83 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I can't give you any advice. I am very good at loosing weight. And even better at gaining it. I have been dieting one year and gaining for 2 for 16 years now.

I know that it would be healthier for me to just stay fat than go up and down like this. But everytime I swear it's the last time. I whish you the best of luck
  • 4manda76
    4manda76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I’m a serial yo-yo dieter, I’ve done slimming world, weight watchers, slim fast, tried juicing too many really. And while they all work I don’t change doing them.
    When lockdown happened and my slimming world group closed I gained 9lbs, 5 weeks ago I decided to go low carb aiming for 50g carbs per day and to do 16:8 fasting, in 5 weeks I’ve lost 11lbs and 1 week of it I was on holiday.
    For the first time I feel in control, my appetite and cravings have reduced drastically and my taste has changed.
    When eating carbs I found I’d have a bowl of pasta and an hour later I’d want more, really felt I had no control over my eating.
    Another plus is my blood glucose has gone from pre diabetic to normal so a win win for me.
    I wouldn’t say going low carb is easy as your body needs to switch from burning carbs to fat and in my second week I felt horrendous, but now feel in control and like yes I can do this 💪🏻
  • gisem17
    gisem17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    First off, I wish I knew. If I knew how to break the cycle, I wouldn't be at the top trying to come down again.
    I think the problem is that "diet" is a four letter word and we want to avoid it like the coronavirus. A diet is nothing more than a description of the foods you eat. My 5yo is on a diet of peanutbutter crackers and strawberries. It's not a good diet, not a healthy diet, but it is a diet. If you live, you eat, and if you eat you're on a diet. Get used to it.
    I think the answer lies in what happens after you get to your goal weight. At that point your diet changes. It doesn't go away, it doesn't end, it changes. The question is, what is it going to change to? It can either change to your "normal" diet, that which causes you to effortlessly gain weight. Or it can change to a maintenance diet, one where you still have to pay attention to what you eat, how much you eat and still check it with the scale regularly. The choice is up to you, but when I get to my goal, I'm going to figure out how get get on a maintenance diet.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Think about what steps you took to lose weight.
    And then think about what changed when you were ready to maintain.

I have accepted that I need to pay attention to my food intake, log calories, weigh myself often. So essentially, for me at least, there will not be a lot 'different' between the weight loss phase and maintenance phase. I will estimate a little more often, use the food scale a little less. And I'll aim for a higher calorie intake. I may even play around with eating 'less' on weekdays and then eating the extra on weekends. So there are things to figure out when I get back to maintenance. But I won't stop MFP. I won't stop my routine getting on the scale most mornings and then walking before shower/work.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    There's only choices and consequences.
    You don't ever have to start over again and again and again.

Every day you have 3 meals coming around the corner. If you need to have a clean slate, your very next meal is your new beginning. It's coming right at you. If you messed up at breakfast, you have lunch to tweak it however you want to. Small habits = Big results.

We are what we repeat. Getting a fresh start isn't the magical cure for anything. Constant stops and starts after losing our way only builds the skill of pausing. You have to learn how to pick yourself back UP every single day. In the beginning, it's right before every meal. There's your clean slate.

There's no such thing as the right time to begin. This isn't about willpower and motivation. It's about skills. Let the All or Nothing Approach to food eat your dust. You will not be deterred.

We learn the All or Nothing approach to food as a child. We observe and learn it from our folkaronies. <3 They mean well but you the sooner you can unlearn it the happier you'll be. Finding long term stability with weight is a battle. Armed with a mindset that can combat anything that life throws at you can take you into the rest of your life. Waaaaaay down the road.

Connection matters. Community is everything. No one has all of the answers. That's why we have each other.