Work out with injuries

Options
So due to auto accident on July 11 I have a broken lower left leg and a right arm. The broken sternum & ribs have now healed but still no weight on leg and arm. Surgery & plates placed on July 31 and remain for 12 weeks.
So this week I stopped drinking soda and drinking water with infused Lemmon and cucumber. For exercise I lay on a cushion on the floor on my back. I remove my splint and put both feet into the air and pump up my music and peddle like I am on a bike. I do this several times a day for as long as I can. I also do my Physical therapy exercises. Then I also went back to a low carb diet. I have not been over 200 in years! I gained 15lb with being in hospital & rehab where the food choices are limited due to Covid.
So far this week 2.5 lb loss! Proud of myself. When injured do your best to exercise what you are able to do & stick with it along with healthy eating.

Feel free to add me and watch me lose while laid up! Motivation is the key so please help me keep motivated & I will for you too!

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Definitely tweak exercises to what you can do with your therapist's consent. Also ask the therapist if it is okay to do extra sets of rehab. Ask what they would be doing to get a pro athlete back healthy as soon as possible. Now you may not be able to do that level but get close. I asked about bumping up my rehab after my first shoulder surgery and the therapist was very helpful. He said so many people won't even do the bare minimum.

Best of luck.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,478 Member
    Options
    Some of your weight gain may simply be water weight. Your body responds to pain or injury by directing water there to aid with healing.

Focus on healing yourself before you worry about your weight.

After surgery a few years back, I foolishly didn’t listen to my surgeon and went back to stretching and light yoga. I pulled apart all the delicate stitches, and have the scarring to prove it. It took forevvvver to heal the second time.
  • Mjkerik2110
    Mjkerik2110 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get that. My stitches have been removed 2 week after surgery. I talked to my dr and he said all is good as long as no weight on the broken bones🤕
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your accident. Glad that you are on the mend!

You don't need to exercise to lose weight, just be at a calorie deficit. So if you eat less regardless of your exercise ability right now you will still lose.

I'd be a little cautious about eating at too much of a deficit though if your body is still healing? It needs calories to fuel that repair, but if most of that is done and its just a rehab/strengthening situation you might be ok?

But don't feel like you need to exercise to drop the weight, because you don't. I always look at it like: eat less to lose weight, exercise for health benefits.
  • Mjkerik2110
    Mjkerik2110 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I exercise to keep from being bored.😂😂