DO NOT eat less then 1200 or 1000 calories.

Options
124»

Replies

• katep2492
    katep2492 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone fighting? go ahead and bash me whether you think I'm wrong I eat under 900 cals a day but I am being monitored by a doctor because of medical conditions I have to lose weight fast which the op did mention, this is not safe for everyone to do, I have also seen 3 nutritionists and they all say don't eat if your not hungry, So if you only 900- 1000 calories and your not hungry don't eat more to get to some magical number which is different for everyone! 1200 is not everyone's number it depends on a variety of different variables, so I really suggest everyone see a doctor to find out if you are doing the right thing but chances are if your not hungry you are. So yeah I'm not trying to start an argument this is just my opinion, I think everyone trying to lose weight should see a doctor but that's just my opinion again.
  • Caz2678
    Options
    I think that people are all different shapes and sizes so what works for one won't necessarily work for another.

1 point on the educated/uneducated front! I have a friend who is very well educated. She always eats under 1000 cals a day. Why? Cos years ago she was fat and now has an eating disorder, so never preach or bash people cos you don't know how it will affect them in the future!

2nd point, as a dancer in my younger years i also ate less than 1000 cals a day! I had a very toned muscular body with less than 10% body fat and was incredibly fit! I stayed like this for many years until i had my first baby, so you can't say that eating too little is gonna turn you into a skinny fat person, as that is not always the case! It depends on what else you do in your day to day life!

I think people should just do what they think is best for them as at the end of the day it is their lives and no-one else's problem!

(sorry if there are any spelling mistakes as i am typing with one hand!)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    wow, about half you you missed the point of my post completely. For the other 50%, thank you, your comments where insightful and useful for mine and others continued education for their weight loss goal.

1. Before you comment, please read my post. It's helpful if you read something before you comment on it. I NEVER said you can't eat under 1200 cals, I said you should not if your body type dictates it that way, which you would know, and if you don't know this about your body it is important to ask a doctor to make sure you are doing something safe for your body. But as long as there are forums, there will be forum trolls.

2. I was not preaching... I am very worried about the average person and MFP user which falls under the government recommended 2000 calories a day getting bad and UNHEALTHY advice. I want to be very clear about this. JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN EAT UNDER 1200 CALS DOESN'T MEAN OTHER PEOPLE CAN, SO DON'T RECOMMEND THAT TO OTHER PEOPLE, EVER. Talk about what you do all day long but never suggest something that has shown to be unsafe to other MFP users just because it is safe for you. Cause sometimes those people listen and that is very unhealthy for people that don't have the right body type for it. If that is the case it could be said in the forums the best way to lose weight is to smoke Meth. (Disclaimer: DO NOT SMOKE METH) But I would never suggest that to anyone or do that myself.

3. I am not a doctor, and don't pretend to be. I always tell people when I talk about a subject to make sure they talk to their doctor before they change anything they are doing.

4. I know some people need to lose weight quickly. If their doctor says it's ok, that's great. But not everyone can or does get a doctor's advice before starting a weight loss regiment. I see some very unhealthy practices in the forums sometimes, that is what I want to see stopped.

5. I was not calling anyone stupid. I was saying some people are uneducated when it comes to how effective "diets" work and have dumb actions based on this. It is ok to be uneducated about a subject, that's why we learn about things. But until you know your body and what works for you, there are some safe guidelines to follow, which has been shown through science, work for the vast majority of people. I want people to be healthy, which is why I post some of the topics I do. Too many times I see people suggest unhealthy dieting tips to other people and I want that to STOP in these forums.

6. The only absolute statement I said was diets don't work, which has been proven time and again by life time studies, that only thing that ends up working are lifestyle changes. If you want to argue that this is not true, I will more then happily debate you on this subject under a different thread.

7. A major topic in the OP was how long the weight is kept off. I think I saw 2 people talk about this. Thank you for that information, that is what helps me learn and I'm very glad it worked for you.

So once again, read the subject before you critique it. You may have a valid point, and I saw some post like that here, but SOME of you, quite frankly did not. I actually addressed alot of peoples arguments making them moot in the OP.

(don't feel like checking my post for grammatical errors, if you want to dismiss something because I didn't use the right form of the word "That". Fine. However, it is more useful to use facts and not grammatical mistakes posted in an informal forum to disprove or dismiss something, FYI.)
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fitgurl3
    Options
    I have trouble eating 1200 calories, I feel sick if I actually eat that amount and my body does not feel good when I eat this many. I do eat under 1200 most days, not really trying..just what my body says I feel full on and what I feel ok eating. I have a lot of stomach issues, so i have to eat a certain way. Anyone else have this problem? and tips?
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    How doesnt this website think about that...you can set your goal to lose, gain or maintain

This.

When you eat less than 1200 calories it says you are eating too few calories. Just saying.

Btw my gf on her mfp is given only 1200 calories to eat, and she is on the most minimal settings she can be on. Just saying