Ughhhh... COVID Weight Gain Despite Running Every Day

Options
(39F, 5’3”) From 2019-2020, I lost 30lbs- 163 to 133. I’ve always been fit and a daily exerciser- I 100% just needed to cut down on my portions and snacks, and mfp helped keep me accountable. I had a nice little routine going of weighing myself every morning at the gym (no scale at home), and work was busy so I just ate what I was supposed to and often just had cereal for dinner since I’d get home on the later side.

Then Covid hit and turned all of our worlds upside down. I’m in NY, where the gyms shut down in mid-March and just opened yesterday (September). During the shutdown, I took up outdoor running and ran 5 miles every single day, all 7 days a week and through all the unpleasant weather. But at the same time, I’ve been working from home with constant access to snacks, and also have been cooking full dinners. No weigh-ins this whole time, although my (comfort) clothes weren’t looking terrible. I did continue to track on mfp this whole time, but have been much looser about going over- I have about -500 calories (over by that amount) each day, which I was hoping was about maintenance. Staying at home all day also meant I didn’t get the incidental walking that comes along with living in a big city.

Well... returned to the gym yesterday and weighed in... 141, so an 8lb weight gain since March. I’m so disappointed and need to seriously get back on track, food-wise. Will be much harder being home all day- I don’t expect to return to the office for at least a few more months. Posting here because I know you will understand. It’s a constant battle that never really ends.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling as well! It's easy to eat too much when working at home where you have a fridge full of your own food!

5mi every day is very impressive, and it sounds like you've had a heck of a streak! I run, too, and it definitely makes me hungry. I have to be super careful not to over-eat. I don't know if it would help your weight management, but it would definitely help your running if you mix it up with shorter faster days and longer slower ones.

I can't stay on track without a digital scale at home. For one thing, my morning weight has the least variation (although it still varies a lot). If it's a matter of cost, don't worry about it. Even the <$30 digital scales are very good these days.

Best of luck!
  • boxinglover0712
    Options
    I’m with you. Between surgeries and my bed shattering his right leg and having to stay with him yeah. I’m up at least ten too. I need to start back into everything
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    5'-2" started at 135 BC (before Covid), and got up to 143. I'm in San Francisco and are gyms are just opening up now, mine however won't open until probably mid-January. I'm walking, doing calisthenics and using my dumbbells at home and most importantly I have started logging into my FitnessPal. Today is day 8, keeping on track...one day at a time! We've got this ladies!
  • ophidance
    ophidance Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i’m starting over again too reading this thread helps *
  • Emi0886
    Emi0886 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Despite not having access to the gym (which is terrible), also the stress from this Covid situation can also be blamed for weight gain! Consider doing some yoga at home, or whatever you find comfort in, to lower stress levels.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,126 Member
    Options
    Doing a bit of math, 8 lbs over 6 months means you've been eating around 155 kcal above maintenance, which isn't a huge number.
    Having a scale at home would certainly have helped nipping the weight gain in the bud, but no use crying over spilled milk 🙂

I had some difficulties during lockdown in the beginning, but the trick for me was to create a routine: a routine for work, but also for food and snacking. Which in my case means no snacking during work hours.

You weren't that far off track, all things considered, it just accumulated a bit. Good luck!
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I worked out the whole time and I’m up 6lbs 😕....need to get back on track before the holidays!
  • michelle_FR
    michelle_FR Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I’m definitely up a solid 10-15 lbs since the onset of COVID. All of the boredom and being at home plus the stress and anxiety. 😩 I’ve been trying to outrun my bad eating, but as we all know, that’s impossible, so I’m here starting fresh today.
  • jw4444
    jw4444 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This topic speaks to me! Also a runner, also gained weight without a gym during COVID. Not back on it and hate to look at my weight and pace. This is an old forum, hope you guys come back to comment. How is everyone doing now?