How clean was your diet while actively losing weight?

Options
I know that if I'm within my calories it won't matter. But I noticed that cleaner my diet lesser is my hunger. Then one day out of boredon I try to add in a treat. And suddenly I'm more hungry than never. And I surely end up going over my calories for the day.
Those of you who successfully reduced a good amount of weight n kept it that way, how cleaner was your diet during that journey?

Replies

• lakshva
    lakshva Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1) Sugar from sources like tea to cake to icecream. But I do have rice daily
    2) Oil when its from deep fried food items. But I do saute my veggies.
    3) Cheese when its from pizza I had today(loads of it).
    I had them mostly hoping for mental satisfaction but I am not so sure I got even that. I end up feeling ' not full'
  • lakshva
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    I assume by eating clean you mean minimal added sugar and processed foods. Eating a diet rich in whole foods will definitely help you feel more full and many people do report that eating an excess of sugar/carbs can make them feel hungrier. However, your hunger from your treat could also be because you over-restrict on other days. You shouldn't add in a treat out of "boredom", you should eat it because you wanted to. If you ended up that hungry and went over your calories, it could be because of over-restriction as well. I'm curious how many calories you actually went over and if you still were actually in a deficit.

All I planned for was a 90 cal chocolate. But I ended up helping myself with a good portion of pizza I made for family. I'm not sure of calories since i didnt even weigh it you see. It was not for me 😞
  • lakshva
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Generally speaking about my past experience with clean eating:

Eating dirty or super clean is meaningless in the big picture. Super clean eating assigns moral judgment to foods but in the long run it doesn't help anyone lose weight. It overcomplicates the process. When we start overthinking every morsel of food we can start drifting off into a very narrow way of eating and living.

Clean or dirty eating. We are not better because we eat clean. Framing extra special foods as clean becomes a moral high ground to stand on. These beliefs lead to a health halo effect. Clean eating is a made-up rule.

Eating clean. Did it change everything for you then? Not for me.

While I agree that nothing is totally black and white, where did you draw the line?how do you choose what to eat?
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Generally speaking about my past experience with clean eating:

Eating dirty or super clean is meaningless in the big picture. Super clean eating assigns moral judgment to foods but in the long run it doesn't help anyone lose weight. It overcomplicates the process. When we start overthinking every morsel of food we can start drifting off into a very narrow way of eating and living.

Clean or dirty eating. We are not better because we eat clean. Framing extra special foods as clean becomes a moral high ground to stand on. These beliefs lead to a health halo effect. Clean eating is a made-up rule.

Eating clean. Did it change everything for you then? Not for me.

Clean or dirty, good or bad, dumb and dumber. Calories in and calories out. Jump up and jump down. Is it dirty because it fell on the floor and it got dirty? Is it clean because you washed it? Is it bad because it's good? Is it good because it's bad??? If you eat too much pizza you get fat. If you don't eat enough pizza you will lose fat. If you eat the right amount of pizza you maintain your fat.

Food is so simple that it's extremely difficult right?
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    i lost my first 50+ pounds while eating pizza, potato chips and ice cream. it didn't matter - i still lost weight. when i ate clean, i lost weight at the same rate. it's all about calories in, calories out.

when your body burns or stores calories, it can be butter, sugar, or a food packed with chemicals. all that matters is if you eat more calories than you burn, burn more calories than you eat or eat about the same calories as you burn, which is maintenance.

a drummer i used to know pretty much lived on snickers bars, ramen and the occasional burger, and he was quite thin. i don't recall ever seeing him eat a healthy food *LOL*
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    At first, I cut out a lot of things like cookies, candy, ice cream(basic junk food) and even most bread, rice, and pasta, just because it was easier to not have them and eat more vegetables and lean protein. My breakfast was usually something like spinach and egg white, snack was banana or 100 cal protein shake, lunch was salad, pickled veggies, and tuna(no mayo). Dinner was something that I had to compromise on. My husband was not dieting. I would make things like pasta or rice, and just take a small portion and load up on veggies. We always go out on Friday night, so I would budget calories during the day and then eat a small portion at dinner, box half for later.

It's all about what works for you.