Gym gear - and washing it...

Options
Ok so this might be a bit of a nasty question, but thought I'd ask anyway ;-)

I'm on a really tight budget for the next couple of months because of moving flats, and a holiday, and basically everything hitting my account at once. I'm not giving up my gym membership, I love it too much. BUT while it will give me something 'free' to do, I can't afford any more workout clothes.

I've basically got 4 outfits (trousers/tops/bra)... so my question is, does anyone exercise twice in a day, and if so how do you, ahem, 'air' your kit? Or do you just bring two outfits?

Obviously I've got spare knick knacks and socks, just wondering if it is nasty to do body pump, then try to 'air' my kit during the day to re-wear it later that evening? I don't think its at all feasible to try and do after spin or zumba as I sweat too much... and I'm keeping those sweat like a demon workouts as my staple, just wanted to add in some extra's in the evening.

Gross I know... but I want to up my gym work and can't afford to buy anything!!

Replies

• mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    When I travel I only take one set of gym gear with me. I get back from the gym and get in the shower with my gym clothes and use the shampoo (I'm bald so I never need it) and wash my clothes. I have the quick dry stuff for gym clothes. After the shower I hang them up and by the next day they are dry and clean. In response to the question about wearing them twice in the same day...who cares! I know I stink sometimes at the gym but hey it's a gym!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I bought a stand to change my bike into a stationary bike and I do interval training. Best thing I could have ever done.
  • SarahCaw
    Options
    I used to go to Pump in the morning and reuse my shorts/tshirt at night - I just aired them out to dry during the day, and it was okay-ish at night. Not ideal, but I travelled a lot at one stage and I didn't have space for piles of gym gear. I was by myself for a run in the evening, so it wasn't like anyone except me could smell me!
  • MrsBlackman
    Options
    Just air them out, who cares what you smell like ;o)

Well done you for getting 2 workouts a day in though!!! I am very impressed!

Does your gym have a pool? Sometimes I go to the gym in the morning and swim after work (no need to wear the same clothes and I get 2 lots of excerise in).
  • breskittle
    breskittle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Air it out and spritz alittle perfume on it! That's what I do if I have to.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If I was doing 2 workouts back to bakc I wouldnt change. But if I was going for a second workout later that day....I'd probabaly change. Depends how sweaty the first set had got.

Washing 2 sets of kit isn't going to take any more time than one, is it?
  • Ellieswede
    Options
    Just dry and use again! As long as it doesn't stink, who cares?
  • Visser1971
    Options
    Reuse it! It is supposed to be stinky in the gym. After the first minute when you walk in, who knows if it is was from the morning or the hour before anyway?

Good luck with the moving!

Christy
  • Thanks everyone, I don’t feel too bad now! :-)

I think I’ll keep my morning workouts as they are, and see when I can fit in another sweaty session in the same day as a less sweaty session… lol! Who knew I’d care about getting to the gym so much!

MrsBlackman – it does have a pool, so was considering that as an option. I’m not a big fan of swimming in all honesty, I’m not a strong swimmer and get a bit bored after a few lengths. Might be nice for an evening sesh though!

Melaniecheeks – you’re right, washing 2 sets can be done at the same time as one. However I don’t wash my kit straight after I use it each week, I whack it in with my usual washing once or twice a week (mainly as I’m very rarely home, and secondly because I can’t afford to keep putting the washing machine on every day), which means I’ll be short of clothes if I’ve used all my outfits in two days.

Visser1971 – thanks for the good luck! I’ve got everything crossed!
  • shelltree
    shelltree Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I wear the same gym clothes a couple of times, sometimes more. The way I figure it, why make more washing for yourself when the clothes are just going to get sweaty and grose anyway LOL. I just make sure I lay them out to air, usually just hanging over the bath tub and then wear them again later :)
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    LOL, lucky enough to have collected all I need to work out massively at home. I go to the gym 3 times a week for the really heavy weight lifting.

So I work out in my underwear, saves a tonne of laundry. I just tell the step kids to stay upstairs LOL
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to imagine any scenario in which it would be appropriate or polite to wear the same outfit for two workouts in the same day in a public place. You may not notice it, but I guarantee everyone else does. Just my opinion, but to me taking care of your personal hygiene is just a matter of common courtesy--no different than wiping off your machine, picking up your weights, towels, kleenex, etc.
  • It's hard for me to imagine any scenario in which it would be appropriate or polite to wear the same outfit for two workouts in the same day in a public place. You may not notice it, but I guarantee everyone else does. Just my opinion, but to me taking care of your personal hygiene is just a matter of common courtesy--no different than wiping off your machine, picking up your weights, towels, kleenex, etc.

I can certainly agree with the need to take care of personal hygiene and gym etiquette, however if I was to do a powerplate session its very unlikely the 30 - 45 minutes wobbling on the machine breaks enough of a sweat to be too concerned about if I was to air dry and later use for a heavy session, some 10 hours later. Same logic would apply to wearing work clothes to the office in the morning, taking them off for a swim, then putting them back on.

Thanks for your opinion, however my options are to either not work out as much or spend money I dont have to increase my gym wardrobe. Each to their own I guess.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You did ask for opinions!

I managed to add to my gym wardrobe cheaply from charity shops and sale rails - unless you only wear specific brands there's ways of doing that on a budget. I didn't wnat to invest in new gear while I was still losing weight.
  • You did ask for opinions!

I managed to add to my gym wardrobe cheaply from charity shops and sale rails - unless you only wear specific brands there's ways of doing that on a budget. I didn't wnat to invest in new gear while I was still losing weight.

i certainly did, and really appreciated your feedback - just unfortunately logistics on the washing side of things won't work at the mo :(

Thanks for the tip on charity shops!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Air it out and spritz alittle perfume on it! That's what I do if I have to.

I would skip the perfume--it can be highly irritating to some people while their airways are working hard during exercise. Many gyms actually ban the use of perfumes, colognes, or body sprays--I know mine does.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same about the perfume...please don't use this method! There's a woman in my gym who wears way too much perfume and it's torture trying to work out beside her.

As far as wearing the same thing twice in one day - for me, it would depend on how sweaty my morning workout was. My skin is extremely sensitive so putting on even slightly damp/sweaty clothes would be totally irritating. But if you don't have that problem, more power to you!
  • Mitchlou84
    Options
    I go twice a day a few days a week. Back to back classes I may change my t-shirt, but not always as its often pump first anyway.

When I go lunchtime then after work I will change t-shirt, knickers and socks, but air my trousers, sports bra and towels!

I have 2 pairs of trousers, 2 sports bras and a whole heap of t-shirts and older underwear for exercise! I just take my boyfriends old t-shirts instead of them going to the charity shop!!
  • KarenLipana
    Options
    Doesnt really matter what you wear, I even wear a 3yr old shirt. but if I may suggest, invest on a really good sportsbra. It will help you move alot better and be more confident while working out.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have some sport wash spray (like febreeze but designed for stinkier body oder etc) that I will sprintz my stuff with before hanging to dry. I usually wear my stuff twice and then wash.