Weight gain after hysterectomy

Options
danielle0400
danielle0400 Posts: 47 Member
edited September 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi!

Just wondering what some of you experienced after a hysto, as far as weight gain. I had my uterus and right ovary removed in February. My diet and such, stayed the same during quarantine. I picked up my workout routine, as soon as I was released by my dr. I felt great!

Everything was going well, until mid-April when my husband asked for a separation and my grandpas cancer was deemed terminal. I managed to keep my routine and diet going pretty well. There were definitely days I probably didn't eat enough, but I am one that tends to lose my appetite with stress. I kept a close eye on my weight, I was actually nervous I was going to lose some pounds. Days before my grandfather passed, I weighed just to check- I was at my normal. I didn't weigh again for about a month, at which point I was up 5 pounds, I blew it off, since it was when I would of been on my cycle. I started noticing my clothes getting tighter and my bras don't fit. About 3 weeks after that weigh in, I weighed again, and was up another 6 pounds. Fast forward 4 weeks and I am 16 pounds heavier than the end of June. I have increased cardio, am drinking more water, reduced wine consumption, tracked calories, etc.

I have noticed some other changes, beyond always being tired, I am bruising easier than ever and they last weeks; my hair is drier than ever; I tend get really pale by mid afternoon (which isn't normal for me); my hands are often cold and insomnia has been hitting randomly. Being at a loss, I emailed my dr- he sent me for a TSH- which was normal. I know stress causes weight gain, but I don't want to give myself excuses and have this issue continue to get worse.

Has anyone dealt with this much gain after a hysterectomy?

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hysterectomy causes no weight gain. Are you weighing all of your food? Sometimes stress and depression cause people to wallow around and be more sedentary. It seems as if there are other lifestyle factors at play here.
  • danielle0400
    Options
    @nooshi713 Hi! I don't weigh/measure my food anymore (unless its something I don't eat often), I tend to be pretty basic and eat the same thing everything. I have been the same wait since last weight (until the end of June). As far as workouts, I did CrossFit- presurgery, and now run and do other crosstraining/HIIT work outs instead (I used a monitor to track calories burnt). I would love to say I am wallowing, but with two kids, that is hard, as well as the factor that I have found myself to be happier for the most part.

I was thinking that it was possibly related to a hormone imbalance, from the ovary removal. I did edit the post to include some of the other odd things I am experiencing. Thanks.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    If you’re not weighing your food then that is likely the issue. You mentioned that they left one ovary behind, correct? Typically you don’t get hormonal imbalances if you still have an ovary. If they took both ovaries, typically you need supplemental hormones afterwards.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Some of the things you describe: you may have iron or other vitamin deficiencies. May be wise to get a general checkup?
  • danielle0400
    Options
    @nanastaci2020 Thanks! They ran a CBC, CMP, and TSH yesterday- so far everything is good on those. Iron and vitamins are my next request. I just feel like 15+ with no significant changes in diet and lifestyle is a lot.

@lesdarts180 I could see where both of those would cause weight gain! I was actually 4.5 post surgery when mine started. Typically I lose during stress, not this time.
  • danielle0400
    Options
    @Fuzzipeg Thanks! I thought most should probably do more, but then thought maybe I was being dramatic. I definitely don't feel even close to my normal; which I understand is easy to chalk up to divorce and losing 2 grandparents, plus the surgery. I just really feel like it's more than that.

I had my hysto for several reasons; mainly, endometriosis, adnomyosis and cyst (95% on my right ovary- which is why the left stayed). When they were in removing the left tube, they found that the clip from my tubal ligation was gone, when they got to my right ovary, they found the clip inbedded in scar tissue, attached to the ovary.

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I have nothing helpful to add (I looked at the thread because a hysterectomy has been mentioned to me as a possibility for some issues), but wanted to wish you strength. It sounds like you have been having a really stressful time, emotionally and physically, and I really hope that you get to the bottom of it. Sending good vibes!
  • danielle0400
    Options
    @charmmeth thank you so much! I really appreciate it.
    Good Luck with your issues, they are never fun!
  • charmmeth
    Options
    Thank you so much! My gynae issues seem to have been much helped by menopause which has been a very unexpected positive side effect!
  • danielle0400
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I'm appalled that the dr only did your tsh, .

I actually went and saw a PCP yesterday and even she was shocked. She ordered the tests that you mentioned, as well as a 24 hour cortisol check. Given my diet, my workout routine, etc, she said there is definitely something going on.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I actually went and saw a PCP yesterday and even she was shocked. She ordered the tests that you mentioned, as well as a 24 hour cortisol check. Given my diet, my workout routine, etc, she said there is definitely something going on.

My friend had a hysterectomy several years ago and gained 30 pounds in a very short amount of time... I’m talking within 3 weeks or so if her surgery. It was clearly not due to overconsumption of calories, so yes, complications can arise from the surgery. To my recollection, I believe that in the end she was retaining significant amounts of fluid and had hormonal imbalance that had to be regulated and eventually things went back to normal. I don’t think that took very long, though I know she was upset about it at the time. (My aunt just had the same thing happen, though it occurred following breast cancer surgery—she developed severe lymphodema and gained over 100 pounds of fluid a short amount of time. The hospital staff was negligent in several follow up appointments and so her condition just snowballed out of control. She’s better now!) I’m glad a medical professional is taking your case seriously.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    charmmeth wrote: »
    Thank you so much! My gynae issues seem to have been much helped by menopause which has been a very unexpected positive side effect!

@charmmeth

Were your issues due to fibroids? I am clinging to hope that mine will shrink when menopause finally hits. I'll be 54 in a few months - it sure is taking its sweet time >.<
  • kshama2001
    Options

...I have noticed some other changes, beyond always being tired, I am bruising easier than ever and they last weeks; my hair is drier than ever; I tend get really pale by mid afternoon (which isn't normal for me); my hands are often cold and insomnia has been hitting randomly...

Did she test your iron levels as well? I have a lot of the symptoms you mention when my anemia gets out of control.

The low-iron fatigue effects my weight like this - while I may be able to do my workout, I might do it with less oomph, and have less energy for NEAT activity that I'm not logging as exercise. So, my CO goes down and, over time, my weight goes up.

Good luck finding out what's up with you :)

More on NEAT:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • charmmeth
    edited September 2020
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@charmmeth Were your issues due to fibroids? I am clinging to hope that mine will shrink when menopause finally hits. I'll be 54 in a few months - it sure is taking its sweet time >.<

@kshama2001: Yes, and I had a cyst too. The cyst burst spontaneously which was dramatic when it happened (at home thankfully!) but not painful and ultimately a good thing. I need to get the fibroids checked out again but I feel as though they are smaller if not gone. I am 56 now and 53-54 was awful. :( BTW I was also on iron (not anaemic but rock bottom iron stores (I think is the correct term) and also on vitamin D both of which helped.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Danielle: It sounds as if you are now on the road back to you, your symptoms being heard at last. It can be so difficult to get yourself heard where ever you are. When other life changing things have been happening it can be difficult to believe yourself too. All the very best.

Everyone else who is having difficulties, keep looking for the help you need.

Yes, lacking iron reserves and low Vitamin d are both things to look out for especially as we get older and as the part of the world we are in turns into winter. I have read some of the suggested vitamin parameters are actually too low.

Take care - do what is right for YOU.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@charmmeth Were your issues due to fibroids? I am clinging to hope that mine will shrink when menopause finally hits. I'll be 54 in a few months - it sure is taking its sweet time >.<

@kshama2001: Yes, and I had a cyst too. The cyst burst spontaneously which was dramatic when it happened (at home thankfully!) but not painful and ultimately a good thing. I need to get the fibroids checked out again but I feel as though they are smaller if not gone. I am 56 now and 53-54 was awful. :( BTW I was also on iron (not anaemic but rock bottom iron stores (I think is the correct term) and also on vitamin D both of which helped.

@charmmeth
    Really good to hear, thanks :)

Would you please do me a favor and message me directly when you get the results of your fibroids test back? I could sure use some good news, even if it is just your n=1, and am afraid I'd miss a notification if you just pinged me here.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Danielle: It sounds as if you are now on the road back to you, your symptoms being heard at last. It can be so difficult to get yourself heard where ever you are. When other life changing things have been happening it can be difficult to believe yourself too. All the very best.

Everyone else who is having difficulties, keep looking for the help you need.

Yes, lacking iron reserves and low Vitamin d are both things to look out for especially as we get older and as the part of the world we are in turns into winter. I have read some of the suggested vitamin parameters are actually too low.

Yes, I'm anemic and have to take about 400% of the RDA of iron to stay in Low Normal, and that wasn't enough after two unending periods, and I ended up in the ER for a blood transfusion, followed by two scheduled iron infusions.

(Too much iron can also be a bad thing so I suggest anyone concerned about being iron deficient to get tested regularly and work closely with their doctors and NOT just supplement on their own.)
  • danielle0400
    Options

Thank you! It is easy to just go with what a DR says, because they are suppose to be expert, but sometimes that's not the best or right thing.

@hist_doc OH WOW! I am glad they were able to get to the bottom of the issues for both of them. It's a definite pain in the rear.

@kshama2001 I don't think she ordered any more iron test, my hemoglobin was normal- so she wanted to check the others that normally cause the issues. I'll have to look into that!