Determining Macros/Calories to gain muscle

Options
I'm becoming discouraged with trying to determine my Macros and Calories. I've read so many contradictory articles and had an appointment with a Registered Dietician which was practically useless. She gave me a bunch of links to look at protein smoothie recipes that I could have easily Google'd myself. I am 135lbs and looking to gain muscle. I work out about 5+ days a week for about 60+ min (depending on what type of workout I'm doing). I think I'm putting in the hard work, but I'm not seeing the results (I'm pretty sure it's because of nutrition). I've been doing this since March. It seems nearly impossible to find a nutritionist that will help develop a meal plan to gain muscle. I am lost. Where should I turn for competent help? Anyone struggled with this? Suggestions?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The biggest driver for muscle gain is going to be your workout program. I would ask what program you are following?

From a protein perspective, aiming for 1.5-2.2g/kg or .8-1g/lb is sufficient. Carbs and fats are more personal preference.

Also, are you looking to gain, maintain or lose weight? The latter will effect results unless you are a complete newb.
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There are some other sites you might want to check out for specific help with this. If you use facebook check out Macros Inc - they can help you set your macros for your purpose. High er protein for sure- and the right kind of workout. Also don't forget that it can take longer for women to build enough muscle to show.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You will need to increase your calories. Include sufficient protein. Lift appropriately. Also remember that we hadys gain musclesliwly compare d to men due to hormonal differences
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    To put on muscle you need to gain weight. Some will be fat
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Putting on significant muscle mass efficiently requires resistance training.

If you’re 135 Lbs and this is underweight, eat more. Pick any beginner’s weight lifting program - starting strength, Stronglifts, PHUL, etc.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    What specifically have you been doing since March? What does your workout consist of? Exercise type, reps, weight, sets? Are you utilizing the principles of progressive overload (increasing intensity and/or increasing volume and/or increasing frequency)? Are you eating sufficient protein for muscle recovery?

There are so many unanswered variables that we need to know in order to assist you...
  • Comms0p
    Comms0p Posts: 228 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I am possibly the opposite of you, want the muscle and lose the fat. Changed up my Macros (it says to eat more to compensate for the heavy lifting/weights) I am stronger but not leaner :( . Just have to figure this nutrition thing out as far as I can tell, I struggle with eating enough protein.
    I tend to do superset my workouts and sometimes add drop-sets. For Squats, Leg Lifts, Deadlifts I do those by themselves and rest 2-3 min in between sets. Lighter weights, I rest for 45 sec to 1 min (like tricep extensions and DB alt front raises for example)