Got out of my routine for 1 day and bammm, up 2 lbs.

Options
Just because I decided that one day of the week I will ease on my eating routine, my scale went this morning up by 2 lbs. So yesterday, I started my day with my regular healthy breakfast. Then around 3 pm I decided to run some errands. Got a call from a friend and met at a pub. I order lunch there, which was a salad, but decided to bring Diet Coke , which I stopped since I started my routine. Then after a while I added a Bloody Mary and that was it. That's all I had. When I got home I had a Pita Bread ( I had stopped eating white bread too ) with hummus. This morning , bammmmm , up by 2 lbs.
I don't get discourage by this, because I know that all I need is to get back on track, but, damm this body of ours.

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    It's not the body, it's the brain. Our body is the best friend we'll ever have in this life. <3
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you're doing low-carb but that's what happens when you re-introduce carbs. It's water weight.

No, I’m doing Low Calorie trying to keep my carbs as low as I can. My carbs are coming from vegetables and other sources that are not the traditional bread, pasta , etc . Mostly complex carbs from veggies, brown rice, oatmeal and other sources that have low carb content .

• Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    cppeace wrote: »
    It's physically impossible for most to gain 2 lbs of fat in one or two days. .

We, the ones that have been in this journey for years , know that , but it’s a mind - scale thing . I just need to stay away from that scale when things like this happens

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i know, if I get off my routine, it is like I can get fat fast. Not fair but the way it is, so back to my healthy routine again! I feel ya.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »
    Don't know if you're doing low-carb but that's what happens when you re-introduce carbs. It's water weight.

No, I’m doing Low Calorie trying to keep my carbs as low as I can. My carbs are coming from vegetables and other sources that are not the traditional bread, pasta , etc . Mostly complex carbs from veggies, brown rice, oatmeal and other sources that have low carb content .

Exactly--you said you had a Bloody Mary and a pita bread. Those are carbs. When you re-introduce carbs you quickly gain water.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Same. I ate at maintenance for 3 days and I’m
    up 5 pounds. I’m not low carb either. I’m hoping it is just water weight.

If you ate at maintenance......you didn't gain fat. The link AnnPT77 posted is really helpful: https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

• Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    To do so you'd have to eat 7000 calories and not get out of bed.

And what's wrong with my weekend regimen? 😒

😉
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    To do so you'd have to eat 7000 calories and not get out of bed.

And what's wrong with my weekend regimen? 😒

😉

I didn't knock it :p:wink:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Have you ever watched how much salt the chefs on the Food Channel put in things? They pour it in! I think most restaurant foods have far more salt in them than we tend to use at home when cooking for ourselves. I bet most of your two pounds is water. I know that if I get take out Chinese I gain two to four pounds over the next two days and take four to six days to pee it out.
  • DupreeTheTRex
    DupreeTheTRex Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When I was taking extreme measures to lose weight I would get discouraged by fluctuations in the numbers I lost. Some days I’d lose 4 in a day others I’d lose 1. It was discouraging. It took some time but I learned that fluctuations are normal. Also that checking the scale frequently was not a great motivator. I try to check once a week, but this month I’m trying to go 4 weeks without checking.

As a note, I don’t encourage extreme measures. It only resulted in my rubber banding hard. I wish I had recognized that sooner but it only took me 5 attempts to figure it out.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I weigh daily and find that I am quite often up 1-3lbs one day and down 1-3lbs the next. Here is a fairly typical run of days over a week back in August: 178, 177, 180, 177, 178, 178, 179.

I weigh in kgs so there is more fine tuning there, but still that big jump in the middle of that week and the increase again at the end: 80.7, 80.3, 81.8, 80.5, 80.8, 80.8, 81.3.

What helps me is to arrange my spreadsheet by months, and take a running average over each month. Then I can see that even if my weight is going up, my average (i.e. mean weight over the month) is going down. My mean weight for July had been 83.12 kg and my mean weight for August ended up as 81.07 kg. Even on the days when my weight seemed to be going up, or plateauing I could see that my average was significantly down, and I found that was very encouraging. This month my average is going to around 79.6 kg, so I can see that my weight loss is starting to level out as I move towards my goal of 75kg. I also plot each month on the same graph, and can see that the plot lines for successive months are below each other. As I move towards my goal I expect the lines to start to superimpose.

As others have said, don't over interpret one reading. I find that it helps to use ways of tracking that allow me to see the bigger picture.
  • the_stained_ape
    the_stained_ape Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ask a silly question, but how aften do you weigh yourself? In my opinion it is betst to weigh yourself once a week, on the same set of scales at roughtly the same time of day.

Your body will naturally fluctuate in weight both up and down over the course of a day.