Apple Watch Steps on MFP

Options
13»

Replies

• TheMidnightKid
    TheMidnightKid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Currently have 2,080 steps on Apple Watch and 2,555 steps on MyFitnessPal. Not sure how this difference works but MyFitnessPal credits me with about 2,000 more steps a day than my Apple Watch.
  • GingerHammett
    GingerHammett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you to @heybales for offering the PacerApp solution and to @pajkaj13 for reporting it worked well.

I just installed the Pacer app per @pajkaj13 instructions & so far the Pacer app is giving me calories for steps, and still getting calories from exercises done through Apple Watch.

I do have a question/suspicion though - with the Pacer app steps calorie adjustment & Apple Health calorie adjustment for exercises, the total MFP calorie adjustment seems too good to be true or too high, compared to when using only Fitbit & MFP.

Has anyone successfully maintained or lost weight using both Pacer App for steps calorie adjustment & Apple Health for exercise calorie adjustment?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you to @heybales for offering the PacerApp solution and to @pajkaj13 for reporting it worked well.

I just installed the Pacer app per @pajkaj13 instructions & so far the Pacer app is giving me calories for steps, and still getting calories from exercises done through Apple Watch.

I do have a question/suspicion though - with the Pacer app steps calorie adjustment & Apple Health calorie adjustment for exercises, the total MFP calorie adjustment seems too good to be true or too high, compared to when using only Fitbit & MFP.

Has anyone successfully maintained or lost weight using both Pacer App for steps calorie adjustment & Apple Health for exercise calorie adjustment?

It would have nothing to do with Pacer - that's just the means to get Apple's info to MFP correctly.

Those aren't "step" calories in that adjustment - that's the difference between what Apple said you burned in total, minus what MFP thought you'd burn and any workouts it knows about.

Tap and hold on the Adjustment to get to a deeper screen that says what the total daily burned was at what time.

Does it match what Apple watch said you burned in total?

You can put screen shot in response - prior day is best.
  • BazookaBeaumont
    Options
    I can't get this to work with Pacer. The calorie adjustment is just too high.

All this does is add the Apple Watch 'Move' calories to the daily estimate from MFP. But if your total calories at that point are already below MFP's estimate, it should be a negative adjustment.

For example, on the days I exercise my daily estimate can be between 2500-3000 calories. But on (very) restful days, I need to eat only about 2000-2200 to maintain my weight. Today my Apple Watch (via the Fitness app) shows total calories at around 1900 at 10PM, which is what I'd expect. But MFP is just adding the Move calories for today to its own estimate, meaning my total calorie balance for today is around 2800.

There must be a way to do this so that you can get adjustments, positive and negative, properly. I don't understand how this hasn't been fixed yet. I had a Fitbit before this and every day it adjusted my calories based on the burn at the point of the last sync.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

All this does is add the Apple Watch 'Move' calories to the daily estimate from MFP. But if your total calories at that point are already below MFP's estimate, it should be a negative adjustment.

For example, on the days I exercise my daily estimate can be between 2500-3000 calories. But on (very) restful days, I need to eat only about 2000-2200 to maintain my weight. Today my Apple Watch (via the Fitness app) shows total calories at around 1900 at 10PM, which is what I'd expect. But MFP is just adding the Move calories for today to its own estimate, meaning my total calorie balance for today is around 2800.

There must be a way to do this so that you can get adjustments, positive and negative, properly. I don't understand how this hasn't been fixed yet. I had a Fitbit before this and every day it adjusted my calories based on the burn at the point of the last sync.

It hasn't been fixed in general because MFP can't get Apple to fix what they send.
    So simple a fix for it to work like all other trackers.
    Send daily calories burned and time stamp - that's all that is needed.
    But Apple does things their own way, I'm sure they didn't even want to integrate.

Anyway, hard to make out what you are seeing - please tap & hold on the adjustment and get screen shot and post it.
    And a screen shot of the Exercise Diary in general.
    And comment what the Apple says is daily burn at that point - add your own base, move, and exercise together to get that figure.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options

For your activity level, if you select not very active, your entire move calories will be your adjustment when connected through Pacer. If you change to lightly active or active, the adjustment will be less.