Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is it a good idea to weigh yourself every day?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2020
    I really don't understand the mindset of weighing less often because of fluctuations. There are still fluctuations in a weekly weigh in, you just have less data/information. If you happen to weigh on a low weight (dehydrated for example) day this week and then next week you weigh after a salty day (so more hydrated and maybe even retaining water) you'll think you gained weight. If you weighed every day you'd know the trend is what you expect... or you'd know it isn't what you expect and that's real and you need to change something.

I don't weigh weekly BECAUSE of fluctuations - did anyone say they do that?

No I wouldn't think I gained weight if one reading was up a bit and one was down a bit and not sure how you know what all weekly weighers would think?

I would accept it as fluctuations within a range - unless the trend was continued rise.
    I can still see the trend is what I expect on weekly and I don't need more data or information than that

Do what works for you, no objection to that.

Objection is to inability to understand anyone doing differently and tone of telling us what we should think and do.

Re. the bold - from the OP apparently the nameless experts do say that....

"They say you should only weigh yourself one a week or even less, and on the same day, first thing in the morning, naked. Reason being, from what I gather, is that weight fluctuates wildly day to day depending on the food you eat, how much water you're retaining, how bloated you are, if you're on your period, etc."

I do agree that people should do what suits them, but understanding and accepting seeing daily fluctuations is no more smug than weighing weekly and accepting weekly fluctuations. That you don't want more data points to plot and/or understand your trend doesn't make people that prefer more data points smug.

*edited by a MFP volunteer moderator
  • KHMcG wrote: »
    More data = more better. The issue is not the data but the interpretation and reaction.

Know yourself, if you jump to conclusions and over react measure weekly. Also the scale is great for knowing mass but calipers and tape is really the truth about your fitness looks and strength and endurance is the truth on fitness development.

Spot on sir!

I weigh myself every day, and have done this for 3 years in a row now.
    In the beginning it was stressfull, but over time you learn to interpretate the numbers the right way, together with the other measurements, also, you learn more about your body.

I came to learn that i hold a lot of water weight when eating carbs during the day, and even though i could be at a deficit calorie intake of 500, i can gain weight the next day.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Posters,

Lets get this thread back on the topic at hand and move past any slights that might have been given.

Thanks,

4legs
    MFP volunteer moderator
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    I do it most days but I can cope with the fluctuations and if I gain a little one day I understand that it doesn't really mean anything. I just like to have the data I guess.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    This is totally a YMMV kind of thing, IMO. I weigh myself every day so I can log my daily weight in Libra, which calculates my 10-day trending average. That trending average is what's meaningful to me, not the day-by-day numbers.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    I weigh myself everyday cause I don't count calories, I use the scale, the mirror and body measurements to track my progress. It works well.

Calorie counting isn't for tracking your progress. It's for measuring whether you're consuming an appropriate amount of food.

That's like saying

I balance my checkbook everyday cause I don't budget my money, I use balancing the checkbook and looking at the stuff I've bought to track my progress.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    I meant that I go by feel and I adjust my diet according to what I see in the mirror, how much I weigh and the different body measurements.

Calorie counting for me is too bothersome, what do you do if you eat out and there is no nutrition label or nothing?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    I weigh everyday because of the data. It's kinda like taxes. You KNOW you're going to pay them out of every paycheck. I'd like to know every time money is being taken out of my paycheck. When it pertains to the scale, the flucuations help me to figure out where I may have retained weight. Was it the pizza? Or lack of sleep? More data is good.
    Now if one CANNOT mentally handle the weight fluctuation, then maybe once a week works for them. But IMO, if one can't deal with the fluctuations, what happens if in a week they weigh 2lbs more instead of a few ounces a day and readjust to it if the trend keeps going up?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    I weigh every day, BUT I graph the previous 7 day running average. That way, a one day fluctuation doesn't show as a huge spike on the graph.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I meant that I go by feel and I adjust my diet according to what I see in the mirror, how much I weigh and the different body measurements.

Calorie counting for me is too bothersome, what do you do if you eat out and there is no nutrition label or nothing?

Eating out frequently didn’t work for me, for just that reason. I needed some control of my intake in order to eat a reasonable amount of calories. As a formerly obese person, going by feel is what got me in trouble originally.

When I do eat out I try to have a good idea of the calories of something similar, and assume that restaurants put tons of oil and butter in their food unless proven otherwise.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I weigh myself everyday cause I don't count calories, I use the scale, the mirror and body measurements to track my progress. It works well.

Calorie counting isn't for tracking your progress. It's for measuring whether you're consuming an appropriate amount of food.

That's like saying

I balance my checkbook everyday cause I don't budget my money, I use balancing the checkbook and looking at the stuff I've bought to track my progress.
    To be fair I know people who do this. Just buy stuff and check their bank account online when they feel like it’s getting low. It’s not optimal.
  • supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    It seems to me that it’s more productive to concentrate on the input (nutrition, exercise) and track that on a daily basis. If you do that the weight loss will come and, for that reason, I weigh myself less frequently. That works for me.
  • sportygal1971
    sportygal1971 Posts: 60 Member
    I weigh every day, just as an accountability factor. Sometimes I notice salt played a factor or my weight training day. I know it's going to fluctuate, but it keeps me on track.
    Funny is I care more about fitness and health, but weight is the byproduct.
  • lynn_glenmont

I'm not saying anyone has to count calories. I'm just saying don't mischaracterize it as a way to track your progress, when it's a way to check whether you're adhering to calorie goals. It's about the inputs, not the outcome.

When I go to a restaurant or eat something that doesn't have a nutrition label, I use the skills that weighing and logging when I can have given me in estimating amounts and deconstructing a meal to make my best guess. It's not an all or nothing project.

But if you don't want to do it, and you've found a method that works for you, that's great.
  • lynn_glenmont
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I weigh everyday because of the data. It's kinda like taxes. You KNOW you're going to pay them out of every paycheck. I'd like to know every time money is being taken out of my paycheck. When it pertains to the scale, the flucuations help me to figure out where I may have retained weight. Was it the pizza? Or lack of sleep? More data is good.
    Now if one CANNOT mentally handle the weight fluctuation, then maybe once a week works for them. But IMO, if one can't deal with the fluctuations, what happens if in a week they weigh 2lbs more instead of a few ounces a day and readjust to it if the trend keeps going up?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Daily fluctuations aren't generally about calories. They're about water weight and food/waste weight. I would view someone who tried to make daily calorie adjustments based on daily weigh-ins showing 'a few ounces a day's as not handling fluctuations well.
  • siyeonsimpp
    siyeonsimpp Posts: 211 Member
    I think weighing daily can be helpful, actually. If I weigh myself everyday, then I can see which foods are more likely to make me gain weight, and which workouts are more effective when trying to lose weight. Though, I've found that usually the weight gain tends to kick in around 2 days after you eat a lot, so that's good to keep in mind, that all the food you eat will only affect your weight a couple days after you eat it.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    I do it, but you have to have the ability to not let the number define your mood. I keep it in a stats app so I can monitor my trends.