Overreached or overtrained

Options
Here I am again exhausted, totally depleted with no desire to exercise. I think that the last three years of hard training have finally beat me up. I have a constant headache, my muscles and joints ache. I was over doing it and not getting the results I wanted so I drove on harder, faster, longer and got further from my goals. I feel foolish and I should have known better.
I am taking hikes, walks and catching up on home projects like pressure washing and sealing the deck, eating well, drinking more water than usual and resting. I am getting a COVID test tomorrow to rule that out.
If anyone has any suggestions on getting through this, how long it will last and tricks of the trade, I am all ears...

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I’m going with overtraining. You have posted a lot of discussions about your training and not getting desired results. You are wearing yourself out. <3
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I’m going with overtraining. You have posted a lot of discussions about your training and not getting desired results. You are wearing yourself out. <3

I know...I am embarrassed. I should have known better. Thanks
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm not too familiar with your past post or your training but if you could post a bit of that here, I think we could come up with some solutions to get you back on track.

The "no pain, no gain" days are a thing of the past. It sounds like you need some restoration. It sounds like you're in a neurological sympathetic overdrive.

Could you post a little bit about your training and what you're doing as far as load management goes? What are the goals of your training? Nutrition? Recovery methods?

I just want to get a snapshot of all of this as it would be easier to then give you a little more guidance.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Have you had blood work done recently? I got fairly lean recently and after an 8 week cut.
    I had insomnia issues, wonky cycle, and blood work showed that my thyroid levels had lowered. Switched to reverse diet and feeling much better after 3 weeks and maintaining the lower weight.
    Good luck.
  • HilTri
    Options
    My primary is spin. I ride (rode) 6-7 days per week,60-120 min vigorous riding (endurance and interval) indoors on a spin bike. I do other cardio 4-5 times per week before I lift weights. I hike one to two days per week. I eat well. I usually burn 1000-1600 calories per day. I usually eat ~2000. I drink 130-150 oz water or electrolytes. My diet is more Mediterranean than anything. I eat well, loads of good stuff. Inbody says my BMR is ~1500 body fat 13%. I am female, 50 years old, 130 lbs and 5’6”.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    That’s a lot of cardio. No wonder you’re exhausted. Excessive cardio can raise cortisol levels bc of the stress it puts on your body. I was running four miles a day on top of a five day lift split and my body responded better when I stopped running and just walked 3 miles on treadmill. 13% is probably also very hard to maintain. Is that why you’re doing so much? To maintain that level of leanness?
  • MT1134
    Options
    I would agree and say that's a lot of cardio. However, the caveat there is if you are doing it for a specific reason such as performance related then it may be necessary to do that amount but we should look at how you are structuring your loadout.

Depending on your goals and training history, you don't necessarily have to cut back because obviously it would fit into your training cycles if you're doing it for competition or sport but if you're doing it simply to maintain a lean body mass then I would say there are other ways to go about it.

Do you use any sort of tracking devices for physiological stress? Do you train with a heart rate monitor?
  • HilTri
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    That’s a lot of cardio. No wonder you’re exhausted. Excessive cardio can raise cortisol levels bc of the stress it puts on your body. I was running four miles a day on top of a five day lift split and my body responded better when I stopped running and just walked 3 miles on treadmill. 13% is probably also very hard to maintain. Is that why you’re doing so much? To maintain that level of leanness?

I like being lean but for me, the way I was doing it at least, isn’t possible for me to maintain.
  • HilTri
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    Have you had blood work done recently? I got fairly lean recently and after an 8 week cut.
    I had insomnia issues, wonky cycle, and blood work showed that my thyroid levels had lowered. Switched to reverse diet and feeling much better after 3 weeks and maintaining the lower weight.
    Good luck.

I had my thyroid checked and while my TSH dropped it is now on the low end of normal.
  • MT1134
    Options
    A full blood workup is always a good idea. If it's in the budget, you should look into an organic acids test. There are a lot of things going on under the hood that we don't know much about until we're able to see it. I asked about some sort of physiological tracking because although it's not bulletproof, it can help to give a small bit of guidance.
  • HilTri
    Options
    The cardio I do before lifting I on a machine at the gym (elliptical, treadmill or ARC trainer). I do it to work different muscles than cycling, perhaps overkill like Sijomial and Ninerbuff said. I want to get excited to train again, I loved it so much and now it isn’t something I look forward to.
    I think I will get a blood work up to check my numbers. I will definitely order Friel’s book. Until I feel better and want to exercise, I am continuing to take time off, it’s been a week and I’ll see how I feel in another week. Thank you all.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    How much sleep are you getting?

The other thing that comes to mind is that you're just not fueling adequately and are probably short on carbs.
  • HilTri
    Options
    I get 7-8 hours of sleep and because I am wiped out, usually a nap for 1-2 hours per day. I have wondered about the carbs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    HilTri wrote: »
    The cardio I do before lifting I on a machine at the gym (elliptical, treadmill or ARC trainer). I do it to work different muscles than cycling, perhaps overkill like Sijomial and Ninerbuff said. I want to get excited to train again, I loved it so much and now it isn’t something I look forward to.
    I think I will get a blood work up to check my numbers. I will definitely order Friel’s book. Until I feel better and want to exercise, I am continuing to take time off, it’s been a week and I’ll see how I feel in another week. Thank you all.
    Lately I do cardio before I lift, however I ONLY lift for one bodypart a day. That usually means I won't work it again for a week. Mind you, I'm not trying for any more hypertrophy nor trying to increase my strength substantially. I'm pretty much where I want to be sans a little more bodyfat.
    But from what you're doing, I don't feel you're giving your body enough time to recover. I would scale back on the cardio some. That doesn't mean not to do something, but instead scale it way down. To like walking or something less intense. See how that goes.
    I get the "well it doesn't seem like I'm really working out" mentality when you scale back after years of doing it hard, but I have to be honest. AGE DOES MATTER for things like this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• HilTri
    Options
    I know it probably sounds ignorant but I certainly do t want to gain weight and despite my efforts it is happening.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    You’ve been down this road before I think?

In addition to everything @sijomial said about assessing your training, I’d like to ask what, if anything, are you using to monitor your training load and recovery status?

I went down this road during my last marathon training. Massive fatigue, I simply couldn’t complete my runs or other workouts, I couldn’t sleep and I lost all desire to train. But the kicker wasn’t all of that my resting heart rate (normally around 55) had climbed into the mid 70’s, my heart rate variability (normally in the 50’s) had dropped down to the low 30’s, and my fasting blood glucose (normally in the 80’s) was close to 120.

Aside from the symptoms above-I felt “fine”. My training load wasn’t anything I hadn’t done before, but there were some extenuating factors in that particular training cycle. I needed far more recovery than I was getting. My training load was continually increasing (as it does in the deep part of marathon training) with not enough cutbacks for what I needed.

This was all on paper-all documented in various systems and all the tools I use to monitor what is happening. I knew what was happening, but continued anyway for my own calculated reasons.

It took several months for me to get back to a baseline. Months. Of minimal, non-goal focused training. To get back to a place where I even wanted to train, and where I even had enough oomph to run vs slog, and move even moderate amounts of weight without being sidelined with DOMS for a week. Months.

If you’re not monitoring anything related to physiological markers and/or training load, it’s probably a good idea to start. They told me what was happening long before I started to have any real problems.