Is it worth getting a Wii for fitness games?

Options
It's my birthday next week and my parents are asking me what I'd like present wise. I had decided on a digital camera. I've got a proper digital SLR but I can't take that if I go out with friends and I'm starting my teacher training next week and will need to take some photos in school for my portfolios and stuff. Anyway, I've had the Wii before, a couple of times in fact. But each time I've ended up getting bored and selling it. The Wii Fit was ok but I don't think it was really all that great but now there are new fitness games like Zumba and the EA Sports and stuff, I'm wondering whether it might be worth a try again?

At the moment, I do Turbo Jam, pilates and the 30 Day Shred varying between them probably 2-3 times a week but I do find I need to change things up a bit otherwise I get bored so fitness games on the Wii might be good. Do you guys think they really help make a difference though? Does anyone use a HRM with them? Interested to see what kind of calories they would burn.

Replies

• FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt bother, get an exercise bike or a rowing machine instead.
  • Charlene_91
    Options
    I've got the Wii Zumba, & i love it!!
    ATM thats my only source of exercising and i really do feel it.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

If you're in a place with mild weather, might a recommend an ACTUAL bike? Bike riding is just lovely. :)
  • leftymae5454
    Options
    I have the wii and I love it, I also have the Zumba for wii and the biggest loser for wii and I love doing them both. It does gives you an option to change up, sometime I do DVD and sometime I pull out some of the old VHS tapes and pot them in. Love Richard Simmons old tapes
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options

No room for either of those.
    I've got the Wii Zumba, & i love it!!
    ATM thats my only source of exercising and i really do feel it.

That's what I'm maybe wondering, whether it's great for those who don't get exercise elsewhere but if you do, it's not so good? I do other exercise and once I start at uni on monday I can join the gym. It's just that the Wii is fun I guess, but just not sure if they're actually any good.
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i love my wii fit plus but to to be fair it sounds like a wii isnt what you need if you bore easily then its alot of money and id recommend using the money your thinking of spending on a wii to buy some differant exercise dvds they do zumba dvds and dance work out ones toning, aerobics and it will prbably work out cheaper for you to pic 2 or 3 of those and mix it in with the routine you have already a wii is only a good investment if you know you wont get bored or you dont have the paitience for a workout dvd
    wii suits me i hate some workout dvds and ive tried alot including shred i was bored mindless but i really enjoy wii fit plus and the range of differant things on there its up to you but if youva had beofre and then sold it id say not really for you if you do want a games console ive heard good things about the kinect for xbox is it and ps3 zumba workout my friend loves maybe you would prefer them better
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options

If you're in a place with mild weather, might a recommend an ACTUAL bike? Bike riding is just lovely. :)

I'd love to but I'm in the countryside which you think would be great except it just means I'd have to cycle along, in the road, surrounded by cars doing 60mph/96kmph which kinda scares me! Especially with all the twists and bends in the road, I think I'd probably get run over!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    no, get the PSP3 if your looking for games and exercise workouts that you can do as well. It also has a Blueray DVD player and Netflix with it as a bonus...... but, if you dont care for a gaming system for games and such, apply that same money to a gym membership or workout equipment
  • marktaunton
    Options
    Personally I would recomend the X-Box 360 and also Kinect for fitness games. The Wii is ok, but the Kinect is now the big hitter. Sadly it depends on how much you can afford really.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I had a go of my friend's Wii Just Dance, and it was a lot of fun. We were out of breath, sweating buckets, and laughing at each other and ourselves. However, I hear that the Wii can be a bit sarcastic to you if you don't sign in every day to do your exercises, and quite frankly I'd probably end up putting it through the window if it got snidey with me! Might be worth having a go of a friend's, if you know anyone who's got one?
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have an xbox kinnect, it is amazing!!! I am currently using "your shape - fitness evolved" I do personal trainer workouts, cardio boxing, tai chi/yoga. All have various different workouts, and all are awesome calorie burns. It also has gym games, have fun while burning calories! I also am a beginner runner, loving that! :smile:
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Personally I would recomend the X-Box 360 and also Kinect for fitness games. The Wii is ok, but the Kinect is now the big hitter. Sadly it depends on how much you can afford really.

I'd really love to get a Kinect so I can use the UFC trainer game. I've got my eye on it for when I've recovered from my injury, and when I can afford the darned thing! We already have the XBox.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options

Totally agree - all that fresh air too
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of money for just 1 game... I'd only get it if you are interested in a lot of other wii games. Otherwise I'd just download some exercise vids and get a heart rate monitor or something. It looks kinda gimmicky to me, selling weight loss to people who don't understand necessarily how weight loss works.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I love my Wii Fit. I use it a lot, it's a fun way to burn calories...you're playing a game on your own or with friends and you don't even realize how long it's been until someone notices. Time flies when you're having fun and so does the calories.

I recently invested in the Wii Cyberbike. It was $200 but I had a gift card from Amazon.....even with the cost, I am completely happy I have it. It's fun (not a chore) and I can use it when the weather gets bad.

Everyone has their own ideas about what they want and what will keep them going. This is mine. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the simple Wii games with my family, and even something as simple as the boxing game can make your arms have a workout, especially if you are not used to just moving. I have also enjoyed the tennis one as well. We recently got the "Michael Jackson Experience", which is basically a dancing game, and all I can say is "HOLY COW!", I was sweating just after doing one dance. It was fun to compete with my daughter to see which one of us can outpace the other and get a higher score. It is great when my big butt (not for much longer) can outscore her on dancing, but I admit to being out of breath when I was done and felt awesome at the same time. there are some places where you can rent games, to include online, if you want to try out the games and give them a shot first. We use gamefly, which is like netflix for games. That way, we are always getting something new to play. It is like 9 bucks a month for the 1 out at a time deal, which with a teenager doesn't seem that bad of a deal to me, because it is cheaper than going to the movie store to get them. We have the Zumba one coming in, and we can't wait to give that a try.

I feel very fortunate that my daughter is willing to dance and sweat away with me. She states that she is proud of me for just getting up and moving what I do. I haven't been able to do anything since my hernia surgery, and so I am having to slowly work myself back up to shaking my moneymaker for Zumba.

Good luck with finding a game! :-)
  • Biggipooh
    Options

I'd really love to get a Kinect so I can use the UFC trainer game. I've got my eye on it for when I've recovered from my injury, and when I can afford the darned thing! We already have the XBox.

I got both, Kinect and Wii. Wii was boring after a few workouts. I do Kinect for almost a year now and it never gets boring. They full body workout is better than any cardio machine. I download new programs every now and then.