Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is it a good idea to weigh yourself every day?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    I weigh myself everyday cause I don't count calories, I use the scale, the mirror and body measurements to track my progress. It works well.

Calorie counting isn't for tracking your progress. It's for measuring whether you're consuming an appropriate amount of food.

That's like saying

I balance my checkbook everyday cause I don't budget my money, I use balancing the checkbook and looking at the stuff I've bought to track my progress.
    To be fair I know people who do this. Just buy stuff and check their bank account online when they feel like it’s getting low. It’s not optimal.

As someone who spent my twenties doing just this, I can confirm. It's certainly a POSSIBLE approach to controlling spending, but it's a very stressful and chaotic one.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I weigh everyday because of the data. It's kinda like taxes. You KNOW you're going to pay them out of every paycheck. I'd like to know every time money is being taken out of my paycheck. When it pertains to the scale, the flucuations help me to figure out where I may have retained weight. Was it the pizza? Or lack of sleep? More data is good.
    Now if one CANNOT mentally handle the weight fluctuation, then maybe once a week works for them. But IMO, if one can't deal with the fluctuations, what happens if in a week they weigh 2lbs more instead of a few ounces a day and readjust to it if the trend keeps going up?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Daily fluctuations aren't generally about calories. They're about water weight and food/waste weight. I would view someone who tried to make daily calorie adjustments based on daily weigh-ins showing 'a few ounces a day's as not handling fluctuations well.
    I agree. There are so many variables to daily fluctuations such as mineral intake, stress, rest, etc. that can cause water to be held or lost.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Yes you should weigh yourself everyday and log it. After every week I find the median number and that gives you a better representation of your progress and maintenance. This avoids fluctuations which also include water weight and food that has not been digested.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Weighing daily helps you learn and understand and track your normal daily fluctuations. If you weigh once a week, you don’t know whether it’s an up, down, or average day on the scale. The reading books advise to weigh weekly is because some people tend to obsess over the fluctuations.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Weighing daily helps you learn and understand and track your normal daily fluctuations. If you weigh once a week, you don’t know whether it’s an up, down, or average day on the scale. The reading books advise to weigh weekly is because some people tend to obsess over the fluctuations.

Sure - it does if you want to understand minutiae of data.

But if you are happy just seeing the big picture and an overall downward trend - or a staying in maitenance range - then weekly is fine.

I'm not fussed about understanding or tracking my daily fluctuations and I dont stress over them and it doesnt worry me if my Sun evening weigh is sometimes an average, low or high day - as long as overall trend fits into big picture.

I feel I am flogging a dead horse a bit here - but I also think it is important for readers to know they do not have to do it one way - like daily - if they dont want to and they don't have to understand and follow every little variation if they don't want to.

• IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    If you react emotionally to the scale, no.
    If you don't react emotionally to the scale, it's not super important but you can learn things about how different factors affect your weight from carbs to water to sodium to alcohol, etc.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    If you react emotionally to the scale, no.
    If you don't react emotionally to the scale, it's not super important but you can learn things about how different factors affect your weight from carbs to water to sodium to alcohol, etc.

Yes you can - if you want to.

For those of us who are not bothered about learning how different factors like that temporarily affect our weight ( what I called before minutiae of data - wasn't meant to be a 'character laden term' just an objective phrase describing above) then no need or point in doing that.
    I would argue that it is way less than super important , it isn't important at all unless you want to know it.
    And nothing wrong either way ie learning such stuff or not.
    Back to whatever works for you.

• Compowder
    Compowder Posts: 2 Member
    I'm trying to lose weight and only witness weight loss every 10 days, so I'm not bothered to go on the scale when I know, nothing is about to going to change.
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    It's a bad idea to weigh yourself everyday if it's going to cause you stress. I weigh myself and log it every morning after my workouts. I use it purely to track my water and glycogen stores. Some days I'm up 3 pounds others I'm down by 2 but I always pay attention to downward trends
  • fat2thingirl
    fat2thingirl Posts: 41 Member
    I can't speak for anyone else, but in my experience, the only times that I have successfully lost weight was when I didn't have a scale in my house to even check. I weighed in at doctor appointments and sometimes at grocery stores that had scales. But every time I bought my own scale, I immediately became obsessed, weighing multiple times a day, and felt hopeless about it, gave up and gained the weight back. So, I personally find more success and peace of mind when I dont have the scale and weigh about once a month. :)
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited October 2020
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I weigh daily and look at the general trend. When weighing weekly, that weekly weigh-in could happen to be your highest weight of the week, or your lowest, or in between: you have no way of knowing unless you weigh daily.
    The more often you weigh (no more than daily, and in similar circumstances), the easier it is to spot the trend. The key is to not be too attached to individual weigh-ins.

This is exactly my approach too. I like to have the daily data feeding into my trends. I plot a graph and keep a running monthly average. (I learned a bit about excel when setting this up which was an added bonus.) If I miss a day or two or even a week, I just fill in a value or values that give me a straight line between the two readings. In particular, I find it encouraging to be able to see that my monthly average is down even if my weight is up. In fact, as i approach maintenance the monthly average is becoming increasingly what I look at, rather than a daily weight.

This is what works for me; I know it might not work for others.
  • dinae1
    dinae1 Posts: 10 Member
    I weigh everyday even if it fluctuates. It affects my diet choices. I also race so food=energy for me
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    I weigh every day and record the reading manually on my kitchen calendar as I find it interesting. I however only record the drops on MFP as I find that better for tracking the trend.

Given how my weight fluctuates, weighing one a week would not work for me as you might hit a peak or you might hit a trough so daily is what works for me.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    edited November 2020
    it depends, you can weigh yourself every day for a certain amount of time, after an injury when I'm trying to get back to regular weight I may weigh myself every day for a month of two

another thing I do is I weigh myself in the morning (ie morning weight) and right before i go to bed usually at the same time like 9 PM to see my end of day weight

I don't freak out about these numbers and I use a digital scale and always record the first number it shows, I don't step on and off and take the best number for example

also when I train I may weigh myself again before a swim and after a swim or before a bike ride and after a bike ride, it's usually to see how I am doing on water weight and if I am drinking enough water

you are your own boss so make your own decisions, sometimes it's fun to experiment and learn how your body reacts

and yes I will go for months without stepping on the scale also
  • I weigh everyday.

It is a ritual part of my day that sets me up to pay attention. I wake up, use the bathroom and log my weight. I am paying attention to what I eat, to my activities, to my mood, my bank account balance, and to my weight. All of these things fluctuate, this is fine.

For me, I like to know what the normal range is. Because I've weighed myself before and after runs, meals, sleeping, and BMs, I know there can be huge fluctuations. It is more data, not less, that sets my mind at ease when my weight appears to spike.

Now when I want to really examine my progress, I export my daily weights to excel and graph it against a 6 or 10 day average trend-line.

I also completely agree that one should forego daily weigh-ins if it is stressful. You do you.