Does it sound like I really have a food addiction?

Per my previous messages, I have maintained an 80 lb weight loss. I’m no more than 10 lbs heavier from my lowest weight two years ago. I will say, I think I’m addicted to food. I love food, I have a cheat day once a week. I eat in moderation but most of my money goes in eating out. If people saw what I eat, they’d assume I’m probably very overweight. I make decent choices when eating out but the fact that I love food from outside so much is a concern, I see people content cooking from home and making smart decisions. This is an issue isn’t it?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    So much of this stuff is mental. You've been maintaining for 2 years. Food does lose its sparkle and allure because we are in maintenance. You're not eating it all back. Great job being very moderate.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    You just enjoy food. I read once for some food is just something the need to survive for others they seem to just taste food more and it's more enjoyable
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member

Food does not lose its sparkle. Too late to edit.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Food is a necessity of life, so in that sense, we all are addicted to it to survive. It appears that you are doing well, so there is nothing wrong with eating out. You’re making good choices, and maintaining your weight loss, pretty much. Sounds like that’s all any of us can hope for.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited September 2020
    I assume the problem is financial more than physical. In which case you have a habit that needs to be moderated. That does not make it an addiction.

The reason why some habits feel compelling is because they have an instant reward and we like instant rewards. To get a handle on my food and drink issues I had to grow up which is funny to say because I am middle aged. I may have been mature in many ways but when it came to food and drink pleasure I was basically the 8 year old in the candy store and I kept saying yes instead of being the adult.

If you need to get a handle on your finances you will need to set additional boundaries like the ones you maintain with calorie control. The very fact you set boundaries and maintain them also proves you are not addicted AND you can control this. You just have to want to do it and start applying the tools you already possess to a new area.

• MandyCMN
    MandyCMN Posts: 17 Member
    Nope it sounds like you just like eating out. Personally I couldn’t afford to eat out every day and I couldn’t be arsed going out every night for food either. It also seems like you dont like cooking or you can’t be bothered to cook. If you get a high from eating out and the experience of it thats something you should address.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Per my previous messages, I have maintained an 80 lb weight loss. I’m no more than 10 lbs heavier from my lowest weight two years ago. I will say, I think I’m addicted to food. I love food, I have a cheat day once a week. I eat in moderation but most of my money goes in eating out. If people saw what I eat, they’d assume I’m probably very overweight. I make decent choices when eating out but the fact that I love food from outside so much is a concern, I see people content cooking from home and making smart decisions. This is an issue isn’t it?

Nothing wrong with eating out a lot per se.

If you are spending more money than you can afford, or it causes you to eat more calories than you should, that could be problematic (but still not necessarily an addiction.)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    No it doesn't :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    My father, who had his own weight problems, used to say, "Some people eat to live while others of us live to eat." There's nothing wrong with that. The problem comes in when you eat so much food that you weigh more than you ought. So, now, I must limit my intake but I can still love food and enjoy what I eat. I live to eat.